Goff in WashPost - Pekerman is #1 choice

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by morrissey, Oct 4, 2006.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    So, Pekerman may be our new coach and Mexico rumored to be after Klinsmann... It would be interesting if they hired these coaches, I think, because both the US and Mexico would seemingly be moving away from their own style of the recent past towards the style of the other. That is, Mexico having played a more possession oriented game going with Klinsmann who played a sort of fast paced, athletic, counterattacking game with Germany... The US and Pekerman vice versa, although I guess that last part was how we wished the US would have played in the world cup. I guess we don't exactly have any midfielders who will be able to control a game like Argentina does either, so it would be interesting to see how Pekerman would organize the US team.

3. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the on-line Goff chat:

4. SoccerFreak

SoccerFreak Member

Oct 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    This is interesting news. Especially since it was strongly believed that US Soccer wanted someone that knew how to speak English. I wonder what led to the change of heart.

5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Maybe a close viewing of the Germany-Argentina game led Gulati to draw the appropriate conclusion.

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The appropriate conclusion is that we need a youth-oriented approach to the National Team.

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You build a world footballing power from the youth system up. The youth programs we have here, while reasonable enough to help fill MLS roster slots, do not lend themselves to the Nats becoming any better on the world stage than they already are (good enough to make the World Cup and get through the group stages with the right draw). The development of young talent needs to be more indepth and widespread across the country, and it just isn't where it needs to be right now.

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    You won't find much argument with these points around here. But I don't think the national team coach's job will be to solve these problems. His job is to take the team as far as possible in the next cycle.

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, but it's also any caretaker's job to make sure that whatever he or she is taking care of is better off than when it came into his or her care. The onus for developing the youth programs lies largely with Gulati, as the head of US Soccer, but I do think that the senior team's coach has a certain level of responsibility in that regard as well, even if a very small level.

All I'm saying is that if Pekerman is the guy, I can't really argue too much with it because he knows how to develop young talent and would almost certainly leave the national team (and the mens program in general) in better overall shape than when he took the position.

10. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    At the margins, someone like Pekerman can affect some of these developmental issues. He has the background to be a good mentor for Hackworth or whoever is running our U17 program.

Arena got to hire the U20 and Olympic team coaches. Presumably whoever is chosen as the next coach will have some similar powers.

But Gulati is the man who will be the main architect of changes to our youth system. That's why he is known as TSMIPITDSITC. For the unitiated, that stands for the single most important person in the development of soccer in this country.

11. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe we should just hire Peckerman as a U-23 coach , and Klinsi as our Senior team coach ...:) then we could finally have a youth team that would be very successful while Klinsi worked on making our full team more successful.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Germany won, you know ...

13. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango
    yeah, at home, struggling, if Argentina were at home, they wouldve won 3-0 easy.
    I'm telling peck's is the guy, forget overhyped klins.

14. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--

Pekerman cost Argentina that game. He was doing a fantastic job until he allowed Germany to come from behind and take Argentina to PKs

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Someone else may say, "Germany began to play with urgency and managed to tie the score on a typical Klose header."

We've been over that game. I still can't figure out how Pekerman cost Argentina the victory.

16. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

It's also worth noting that they had a fluke goalie injury that they had to waste a sub on which hurt them plenty particularly with Messi on the bench (still trying to figure out how in the heck Messi played so few minutes in that tournament-my only real quibble with Peckerman during the cup).

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He played Saviola and Crespo because he had to play Crespo and Saviola didn't mind getting out of the way.

He played Messi with Tevez in an irrelevant game and then Tevez with Crespo.

Personally, I think Argentina's talent is more suited toward a far more open style - too many great offensive players to sit otherwise - than its last few coaches have offered. That would probably be the greatest knock against Pekerman. He's a little bit on the conservative side.

Then again, Lippi, Domenech, Klinsmann and Scolari erred on the safe side as well in 2,006.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goalkeeper injury that cost them a sub, is what cost them the game. Pekerman is a FANTASTIC choice, if he would come here. The man has proven himself to be a great teacher, at all levels.

19. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Plus all the kids will love Pokeman.

20. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think Gulati job first is to find appropriate coach for USMNT

and the job of next USMNT is simply to care of success of team in the PRESENT and to prepare your team for world cup 2010....next USMNT coach
    would not do any "development" work for american soccer system..this is not his job....he cares just of his own benefit and of benefit of his team....nothing else..

21. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pekerman showed in this game that he has made few mistakes...Klinsi has had better strategy for this game and he managed better to motivate his team than Pekerman...plus Germany is famous beeig expert on penalties....Argentina simply is not good at penalty shoots enough...and this quality is also important for wining important game someday....it is not enough just to win many games in world cup in first round, just to WIN the most important games...and Argentina simply did not manage it:).....so Germany was better....we managed to win the most important game and we was good at penalties..

22. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

After Gulati has seen this game, he surely has seen few mistakes of Pekerman

if he has made an analysis of this game and compared Klinsi with Pekerman, he has came to conclusion that Klinsi has done better job in this game....

I know you are not fan of German team and I know you always think that Germany did not deserve to win this game (I know your previous comments), however you have to admit that Pekerman has made few mistakes in this game and Argentina was not good at penalty..plus some argentina players showed how unfair they were (they tried to provoke german players during penalty shoots and make them nervous - not fair enough....Pekerman should have teached them that it is not fair)....

Argentina-Germany - maybe Argentina played better - as you think - however Klinsi is winnner in this game compared with Pekerman...Klinsi was better prepared for this game.....

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    nah... Argentina was by far the better team... had possession, chances in the final 3rd, etc... Germany did not even counter much that match

Pekkerman> Klinsman

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I suppose the backup QB is the favorite player in soccer to.