Goff: Hudson Shows Quaranta 'Tough Love'

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by sch2383, Oct 29, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37601-2003Oct29.html

Talks about what happened on Saturday,
    Along with the possibility of Hristo starting
    And Marco possibly getting called up for Bolivia.

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I like the sound of those lineups Ray experimented with today.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What did Petke say to get docked 5 bills?

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, this sounds pretty good

5. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Petke made general comments about how bad officiating is in MLS and how it ruins everyone's efforts. That's what I recall anyway. Saw the fine coming.

6. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Columbus game he said that officiating like that is why he hates soccer.

7. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Hudson so out-of-touch, Petke should have commented upon how bad coaching is in MLS, particularly within D.C. United! Favorite Line by Quaranta: "OK Coach, I won't smile no more... OK Coach... I be good player!" If nothing else results from this season, nothing at all, I hope it yields Hudson's departure... he's just a disgrace!

IntheNet

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who has coached any sport at any level understands Hudson's actions perfectly.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have coached another sport with success at the high school level. I don't understand his actions one bit.

So much for that market survey.

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    It's sooo easy to fall in love with Petke!

11. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. Next time I see him, I'll have to offer to chip in at least a free beer worth of the fine!

12. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I was at the DC awards dinner and was sitting right in front of Quaranta and his wife (their baby girl is so cute BTW - she was sporting a #25 jersey after Saturday nights win).

I asked him at the end what happened b/c I was in the dugout and it happened right in front of me. He said they were going to put Chino in and Hudon came over to ask him if he was ready - Q said he was with his normal goofy grin.

Ray shouted back at him - "Are you ready?" and shoved him. Q said it was only to fire him up and he says it did. He was ready to get it on after that.

Q had no problem with what happened so I am not sure why everyone is so up in arms about it.

With Ben out I would love nothing more than to see Q on the right wing on Saturday.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so any idea which lineup is gonna be out there to start? I am definitely hyped up to be at this game on Saturday. now they are saying that the temperature for the day will get up to about 76 degrees ........... this is gonna be awesome!

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there were people at the game who posted on here, and they remember the conversation differently.

Not saying who is right, just saying why people are "up in arms."

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That story is a lot more understandable then. A random shove because a guy is smiling is Bobby Knight-eque. A little extra when you're preparing a kid is no big deal.

That said, what the eff is wrong with having a smile on your face when you're ready to go in and do your job? Is it that bad to actually enjoy what you do for a living?

16. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Uh, let's not forget that, according to the people who were actually in the stands watching the whole thing, the "smile" story is nothing but spin. The issue was that Tino appeared (to those watching, including the coaching staff) to be completely unmotivated and unprofessional after being told to warm up, and Ray, Hristo, and Trask reacted accordingly. Given that, it seems that Ray is being generous in taking the heat, not calling Tino out, and pretending that the whole thing was effectively a nonissue.

I've seen this before, and it really rather distresses me how Ray will "do the right thing" in speaking publicly and then suffer for it afterwards.

At the beginning of the season, instead of saying "I'm fighting tooth and nail with management about whether we keep Marco or not; I think he's unmotivated and over the hill, but the people who sign the checks insist he stay," Ray came out and said a lot of positive things about Marco, made sure to praise what he had done for the team, accentuate how important Marco's contributions would be, how important it was that Marco really put his heart and soul into the team this year because so much would be hanging on him, etc. In other words, Ray knew he wasn't going to have his way about shaping the team, and instead of being divisive, taking the fight public, he swallowed hard and made nice. But with the result that, since Marco (in my opinion) totally failed to bring the promised heart and soul to most of his game this year, *Ray* gets blamed for keeping him on.

Same thing with this; Tino acts like an ass, Ray--reluctant to make Tino look like a fool in the press--tries to deflect the whole story, and Ray ends up getting stick for doing his job and then trying to be nice to the player. The casual reader would think from this article he's some kind of unholy combination of Bobby Knight and Alex Ferguson.

Ray, next time just let the player burn. I'm sick of this.

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Neither did Rob Johnson :) Seriously, though, how do you motivate a professional who is laughing at the teams most despairing moment? I can think of only two ways, with anger or by cutting him. Obviously Ray thinks Tino still has value to this team or he'd be gone. Maybe at the high school level "yelling" at your players to motivate them is no longer acceptable in today's PC society. But if a professional coach resorts to it, you know you'd better get your stuff in gear and perform.

Thx,

Jay!

18. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Having been at the match I can say that there was certainly more than just a motivational shove by Ray. He was highly pissed by Tino's antics on the sideline.

19. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    So lets see - you are basing your condemnation of Q on what people in the stands were saying. No one was at fault here. Ray was more pumped up than Q and relayed that to him. Somehow you turn this inot Q sucks and is an ass. What the hell?

Like I said before - the whole thing happened right in front of me so for you to make comments based on hearsay from the stands is a joke.

Could Q be more dedicated yes - but he is much better than what he was at the beginning of the season. Earnie and Q were joking how it was been two months plus since Q was late. Earnie was actually remarking at dinner how Q had picked up his level. So - stop making assinine comments about Q being an ass when you have none of the story.

As for people wanting to discuss something - how about this juicy morsal. The players were quite disappointed that they have the play-offs coming up but no practice was scheduled for Monday.

20. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    But if I accept your version of events, aren't I just relying on hearsay again?

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "shove" was right in front of where I was sitting too...right in front - and it was not a "motivational" shove. Such acts are not part of good coaching, but do exemplify a coach "out of control" of his team! More likely, Tino was laughing at coaching during last game... I did too!

Re: comment by John_Harkes_6 about "no practice was scheduled for Monday" even while DCU is in playoffs... yet another example of a MLS coach "out of control". Did Hudson have a hair appointment Monday?

IntheNet

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil Jackson was once asked if he treated Michael Jordan differently than the other players. Of course, he said. He's different than Scottie and Scottie is different than Bill Cartwright and Bill is different from John Paxson.

Every player has a different personality. Only Tino knows if he was laughing out of disrespect or out of an anticipation of going in and contributing or out of remembering something funny that happened that day.

As far as my coaching experience goes, it does mean I'm right, but the original statement was that any coach would find this acceptable. I don't. Failed market study. Not Ray is wrong. Not Tino is wrong. This is up to interpretation.

There is no one way to motivate professionals. If so, the world would be a boring place.

23. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Yeah I am sure that was what cricket. The last thing you need in a critical do or die game is a candy ass smile on the face of player you want to play like a man. You think Hristo was smiling???

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no correlation between whether you are smiling or not before you come into the game and how you will play in the game. Sorry. Two completely independent episodes.

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    candy ass smile?? LOL i burst into laughter reading that one. if i knew how to add that to my tagline, i would! seriously though, i guess there are different tactics for different coaches, and maybe i am a little high strung too, but I probably would have been slightly bothered too if a guys appears to be whooping it up in a a do or die game (that we weren't winning by 2 or 3 goals at the time).