Goff: Follow the money

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by monster, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    But he got United past Harbor View!! Have you already forgotten? ;)

In all seriousness, if he can teach Josh Gros how to cross during practices, he was worth every penny spent.

My money (and the teams, appranatly) is on him having a big role during our three season ending competitions (MLS playoffs, US Open Cup, and Copa Sudamerica).

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    meh I guess, frankly I prefer him to polish his finishing ability, that diving header he had at the beginning of the MLS season was a beautiful thing I would like to see more of.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    And here I thought the team was in pretty decent shape cap wise.

Benny and Dema at 165k
    Jaime and Christian at 158k
    Guppy at 120k

That right there is 766k of a $1.6 mil cap.

Throw in Freddy and his possible 275 cap hit next season (it hasn't been said definitively whether it will count or not) and we're talking over $1 mil on 6 players salaries..

Of course you would have to think that Guppy is one and done this season. I think paying him 120k is a criminal offense.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I think we know which end of the MLS salary scale needs the most work.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    What salary cap, Chris?

Isn't it more of a "goal" now?

6. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, while it's worker's type wages, it's still plenty to live on if you need to without any additional income. If either of them would like to trade jobs and paychecks put them in touch with me, cause I"ll take it.

noble

7. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken but any job in professional athletics that forces you to share an apartment is pretty minor league. I do love my DCU, but I can't wait until the league is profitable enough where players are wanting a cut of the take. Someday...

Gros could do another stint in Marine Corps Officer Camp, but that's held in the summer so maybe not. (I should know. I survived that mess many years ago in one long summer in Quantico.)

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    What? Where? How? Not in the DC area. When I moved here 5 years ago, I told my boss I needed rent in one week as my base. That was $825 in 2000! That works out to over $40K a year. And it wasn't enough. With taxes, bills and everything else (food), I needed my bonus extras to make it through the year. These guys should be able to live on their own without having to drive 3 hours every morning to practice. Also, God forbid they have a wife and young kid. $26,000 ain't gonna get you anywhere in the DC area. The same $$$ would probably work in Columbus where a good apartment probably goes for no more than $600 a month. Not in DC. Not by a long shot.

Thx,

Jay!

9. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting info. And the Guppy salary does grind me a bit. I wasn't happy with that signing to begin with because I saw him as just another Euro-Geezer looking for a paid vacation. Which is apparently what we got.

Of course if he scores the winning goal in the MLS Cup final than I'll be happy to admit I was wrong. :D

10. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excluding the extra money freddy made from nike.

11. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely sheds a lot of light on operations. For some reason I'm guessing that EJ, Landycakes and Freddy's salaries don't and won't ever count against the cap. It would be completely insane to see a team spend more than half of its salary on 6 players on a 28 player roster. But of course it helps when you are paying your developmental players what appears to be at minimum wage.

I really feel for Gros though, how can this guy, who has been such a contributor to our team be making such crap money?

Another note, do you think by now disclosing player salaries this will just make us BSers more bitter and jaded towards players we don't like and now know are overpaid?

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I can understand Boswell making peanuts as an undrafted rookie, but Gros should be taken care of. Hell, take 20k from waste-of-DNA Guppy and pass it along.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're assuming that there's a take. Right now, the league is in 'give' mode. As a whole, it loses money (though contracting the Metrostars may help).

Keep in mind that the salary figures reported are just their base MLS salary. These guys also do some camps and clinics, which doesn't offer too much more money, but it does add up.

14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very interested to read Steven Goff's MLS "Salary List" in this morning's WAPO; it would be a good follow-up to post some of the MLS Coaching salaries and Front Office paychecks... the big surprise on this list is that accomplished players (Josh Gros jumps out) need to announce that they'll accept tips from fans, since the MLS is only paying them peanuts!

I'm glad Adu is now third; that might motivate his game play!

15. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Interesting that Namoff is not listed. Didn't he get a decent raise last year or during the off season?

16. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    For those low payed players without wife/kids, maybe some of us fans should pony up a spare room for them. I was really considering making the offer, but then they moved out of Chantilly and i'm not sure $28k could cover the commuting costs from my house to RFK on a daily basis :eek:

-dave

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    At a recent press event for the naming of Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Garber finally admitted what many have guessed for a long time. For a handful of "special" players only the league "max" of $300,000 counts towards the cap...which he referred to as a guideline, not a cap. Owners are now given the flexibility to sign or re-sign players to much bigger numbers if they want to/have to. I'm not clear on how this money is paid. I imagine the league plays the player the $300,000 and the extra comes directly out of the owner's pocket.

18. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I think Esky has the right to have the biggest beef. The guy was MVP of the championship match last year.

Nana makes $11K. Wow. I guess it beats flipping burgers to do what you love. How exactly does management sit down with someone like Nana and say, we expect you to work your tail off every practice to make the first team, and we're going to pay you $11k. Isn't that well below the poverty line?

Hats off to Goff for shining light on this. And Rep to Texgator for referencing the Garber comments. I can accept that the rules in MLS change often because the league is young and unprofitable, but that's no reason for MLS to keep fans in the dark by claiming there's a salary cap that really doesn't exist. So I'm glad Garber is making an effort to shoot straight with us.

19. doctorjim

doctorjim New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    The salary figures suggest still another reason why it is unlikely that Jaime, Gomez and Freddy will be on the field at the same time at all frequently, especially after this year. Paying top dollar to three players who occupy the same space on the field makes very little sense.

20. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    players also have some opportunities at promotional appearneces which add up over time. the guys at the lower end of the bracket are given ample chance at these--none of them are going hungry.

21. B Considine

B Considine New Member

He was listed in my early edition of the paper. I think he was around 70, slightly higher than Prideaux.

22. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Ouch, at $11,700 a year, after taxes their lucky to be pulling in around $800 a month. I wonder if the club has acquired a tenement apartment in SE DC for those Dev guys to live in.

When you look at the possible bills these guys might have; rent (even split a few ways), cell phone, utilities, cable, car insurance, car payment, college or otherwise accrued credit card debt (not to mention the costs to feed a pro-athlete who's training nearly every day of the week)... to say that these guys must be scraping by would be a massive understatement considering the cost of living in this area. With that money they'd be lucky to be able to afford renting a movie, much less going to see one.

23. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you think will be gone?

I've got my suspicions and they relate to these numbers:

Adu: 16
    Gomez: 31
    Moreno: 31

All are age at the beginning of next season. I think Gomez has more left in the tank at this point, so I would guess Jaime will be gone.

24. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    I agree. I can understand the heartache about his salary and age and injury status, but when I think of Guppy, I recall how relieved I was as a Revs fan when he was taken out of the April 23 game. He was very dangerous the whole match until he got hurt.