News: Goff exclusive: DC United vs. Real Madrid, Sunday Aug. 9

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by TOTC, May 28, 2009.

1. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if we're all not going to this game, where are we partying that day? (we'll have $50 we can blow elsewhere!!)

2. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Basically I'm sick of morons who would never be caught dead at an MLS game, but bust a nut at the mere mention of a "big team".

Roger that.

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I agree, but why begrudge DCU a chance to make some big $$ off them?

4. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    You have clearly underestimated my begrudging abilities.

1 person likes this.
  5. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    :)

OK, cast it in these terms. Maybe it'll add another piece of evidence that soccer can be a draw here. That might lead to a more positive response to the next stadium proposal...

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    this is the preview of mls if they ever make it big time :D

7. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    No, it will be another piece of evidence that as long as there is a big name team involved, the shitwits around here might actually get off their asses and go to a game every now and then.

All you have to do is look at the tens of thousands who will show up to this, and the thousands who will show up to an average United game, put two and two together, and discover that huh, DCU isn't drawing the soccer fans.

8. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Yes, indeed. That was a point I thought about raising in my last post.

And it doesn't really have to wait until MLS becomes big time. Just wait until we get a stadium. Does everyone really think that seat prices won't be going up?

9. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Sshhhh!

10. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    By the way, I find it amusing that you'd put something like this in those specific terms.

DCU is currently a money-losing business!

All they did is move one match to a date they would have likely scheduled it for in the first place if they'd had visibility into this particular match 6 months ago.

If they owe season ticket holders so much that they can't give them the inconvenience that's the equivalent of a baseball rainout rescheduling (and is for the purpose of raising money and growing their business), shouldn't the season ticket base be obligated to actually spend enough money to allow them to turn a profit?

Your argument reminds me of people whining about airlines charging money for extra luggage now or raising ticket prices when these companies don't produce any profits. What exactly are they supposed to do, just keep sucking up losses because then consumers are happy?

You can't expect to have it both ways.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pissed because it means that Jan is going to miss a game that we paid for when we bought tickets. If they had rescheduled the league game to a Friday or Saturday night, I wouldn't be as mad about it.

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, the other big crowds for international club teams in the past didn't already do that?

;)

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horseshit. I bought two full season ticket packages, and have already paid for a game on August 8th, 2009.

I spent nearly a thousand bucks for tickets this year, and I've bought items from the DC United team store too.

I'm not going to cough up extra money for a ticket against a team that I absolutely despise at a stadium that absolutely sucks.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Face value for my lower bowl midfield seats is $30, and the "regular" price for lower bowl midfield seats at FedEx for this friendly is $90.

If we get a new stadium, I fully expect to see prices increase. But I don't expect to see them go up 300% -

15. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But those will be league matches and thus, will actually mean something. :D

16. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Yes, but this is not an ordinary league game. You're just arguing for the sake of it, aren't you? You know perfectly well what I mean.

17. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Sure. And when there are special events, those prices will be correspondingly higher because they can get people to swallow them.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM"]YouTube - Monty Python - Argument Clinic[/ame]

19. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swallow?

I think they're forcing this into another bodily orifice.

:D

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well if there's enough of a prawn and wine crowd so DCU makes some cash on this, well good on them. I just don't want to hear any whining from them if the PBR crowd takes a pass on this one and doesn't bring the usual noise in the stands.

K

21. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding was that Real Madrid collected the vast majority of the gate receipts when they played United in Seattle a few years back.

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Re: Goff exclusive: DC United vs. Real Madrid, Aug. 8

By that standard, he was answering a question that did not need to be asked.

A note to all those that want MLS to be as good as the Champions League--be careful what you wish for.

23. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Nah, this is strictly voluntary.

24. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that DCU's take from this match would be several times that of a regular league game.

25. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    That's exactly their scam. It's even worse if you plan on bringing your walking shoes and using Metro.

Using the Chelsea game as a baseline, 30,000 people at 25 bucks per person to park is a hell of a take - as average vehicle occupancy for sporting events is usually quite high - a lot higher than the average commute, for example.

I think that Nissan Pavilion does the same thing - tacks a 'parking fee' on to each ticket.