Goff 9/13: Chock Full O' Players

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by eltico, Sep 13, 2003.

1. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2976-2003Sep12.html

Everyone but Reyes, Barclay, and Hristo are healthy. Etch to start. Bobby on the bench. Let the debate begin. Again.:)

But seriously, definitely some interesting sort of sub-plots with the competition for starting spots. Goff is saying

Rimando
    Ivanov Petke Nelsen Prideaux
    Olsen Dema Etch Q2
    Cerritos Stewart

That leaves Convey, Namoff, Martins, Q1, Esky, Chino, Stokes, and Carroll. Pretty decent subs, really more depth than Ray will know what to do with.

May we get a good result...

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I can deal with Convey on the bench because he was away from the team for so long and is still getting back into the groove of things. But I want Namoff to start! He's been one of our best players this season ...

I say we start 12 men and see if the ref notices.

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I understand not starting Bobby last week, but I seriously doubt he is not fit enought to go a full 90.

4. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Hmmm...

It's not like Ray is coachig Real Madrid. Yeah, he's got a deep team, but jeez!

Also, I believe Goff's lineups about as much as I believe in left coast championship teams, about 2 out every 8 is correct.

And SuperBobby needs to earn his spot back. There's no charity in MLS. Well, at least since Valderrama is gone anyway.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I think the whole thing about having one bad game and getting another chance but then being dropped is directed at Olsen and Etcheverry. Hopefully they can step it up tomorrow, otherwise their slots will probably be spoken for in LA next week.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How can anybody conclude that Marco is playing from that article? I hope he sits and fumes.....

7. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    "Hudson plans to use the same starting lineup that produced a 2-1 victory over Los Angeles last week, but with many healthy -- and eager -- players on the bench, he said starters who don't perform could lose their spots."

That means Etch starts, no?

8. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I would think that too except that last week was the veteran players he will not name last chance. He is full of crap and I wish he would just shut up.

9. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I read, but we'll see. Marco hasn't had anything even remotely offensively dangerous for a while yet. I love his play when it's on, but that has been awhile. He looked good at the season's opening, but went south 4-5 games into it. Maybe the knee is still buggin'

With so many back to health, why play him if he's out of form? If they do use him, I'd say bring him in at the 60' where the speed won't be as much of a factor & let him bust his hump for the closing 30'. SJ is a pretty quick squad!

10. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Great article Steven!

Thanks for the link eltico.

I guess I will have to be a maverick here...

The veteran players dominated LA in the first half last week.

Sure there were some bad giveaways, but by the same token DC United could have had a bigger lead.

Those veterans were removed in the second half, when the wheels started coming off...

Having said that, I think it is a wise move by Ray Hudson to go with the veteran players. The veteran players will control the ball and maintain possession in the slippery wet field. So in a sense maintaining control (weather strategy) will more effectively negate San Jose's speed, IMHO.

Of course if that does not work, Ray Hudson can go to the bench and change the complexion of the team in an instance. If speed becomes necessary, Convey, Alecko, Quaranta, Quintanilla and Namoff are available and hungry to prove themselves.

In any event I think the elements give the advantage to DC United.

I honestly think that DC United will pull off the win over the best MLS team this year. The confidence in beating the best team can transform DC United into a confident competitive team which will raise DC United to a new level in MLS.

BRING IT!

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I'll be a little disapointed if Namoff isn't starting today. That said, we really need to play ball controll today. The pitch is gonna be nasty if the rain keeps up. Ball controll negates speed.

This is what I've been waiting for, too many healthy players. Now it's up to Ray to field the right guys for the right situations.

As a side note, I'd really like to see what this Martins guy is all about. Maybe a late sub or something. I have a good feeling about todays match. Anyone have any good Landon songs? That little freakin' crybaby.

12. doctorjim

doctorjim New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Say what you will about Hudson, he's both consistent and bold. Continuing to play a fading, out-of-shape Marco is a courageous, if not foolish decision. Starting Eliseo ahead of Bobby or Tino is equally amazing. Leaving Namoff on the bench after he has been the best defender for most of the season evidences more belief in the Bulgarian bumbler than anyone should have.

Last week, I would say, Ray got lucky. Sigi proved more enamored of fading stars even than Ray and paid the price. San Jose, on the other hand, may not be the most talented team in the league, but are the most effective -- everyone knows his role and everyone plays hard and smart.

If Ray plays the same lineup as last week, he's a real riverboat gambler.

13. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    i don't really care who starts for this team... we are very deep at midfield, so if we start the team that showed up last week, Great, if not, well... great. I'm greedy, all I want is a result!

I agree with DaveBrother. We need ball control. Our passes have been lax lately and we will get burned by Landon if we're not on. Say what you will about him, but he's a great kid and will jump at the chance to put the ball in the net.

But win, lose, or draw, I hope the barra is half as fun as it was last week. I'm bringing a bunch of friends that need to see what it's like to go to a soccer match... surrounded by die-hard fans. :D

cheers

-ted

14. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000

15. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    I said it last week and I meant it. I don't care if we go on to win the championship -- if he starts Marco again he should be fired.

Etcheverry had one of the worst games ever last week after Hudson said (for the 53rd time) big name players...blah blah blah...step up or sit down...blah blah blah...and now he's saying the same stupid *@#*@#*@#*@# again.

And the idea that somehow being away from the team for two weeks three weeks ago means that Convey isn't fit is Geordie nonsense. Like Marco is in better shape? Give me a break.

Hudson has done a good job of putting guys on the pitch who will claw and fight for every point and he deserves credit for getting them to play hard -- but he undermines it by sticking with a player in the middle who adds nothing at all.

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

17. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    To the tune of "He's got the whole world in his hands"

You can stick Lan-don up yer arse
    You can stick Lan-don up yer arse
    You can stick Landon up yer arse

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say sit Etch in favor of Convey, and either start Quaranta or bring him in if Benny falters as he did in the last match (his goal notwithstanding). If Convey can't go 90, you have a wealth of subs, including even Etch, who plays better, I think, when he doesn't have to pace himself. Like others, I mourn the loss of Namoff in the starting eleven. I think he is more of a threat going forward than Prideaux, although Brandon has earned his start after his performance against LA. I like Ivanov, but Brian can bring it.

I guess the bottom line is that starting an inconsistent Etcheverry keeps some good and hungry players on the pine.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Santino Quaranta has done nothing all year to merit 1 minute of playing time in the game tonight. There are many other players who have worked harder and more importantly stayed healthy and deserve a go long before he even gets a thought of going into the game.

Say what you want about his performance at outside midfield right before he got hurt, the fact is he shouldn't be looked at to go into the game before anyone except maybe Brian Carroll.

20. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Namoff has turned his career around this year and really solidfied that he belongs at DC United. But I would have to disagree about Namoff's ability to get forward. He is great defending the forwards of the opposite team..but when he has to send an outlet pass to our forwards or midfielders from the back it often ends in a bad giveaway. Namoff can improve this and hopefully he's working on it in practice to become a complete player.

21. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Huh? He gets injured so he shouldn't be allowed to play? So, basically, you blame him for his injuries then?

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Should he be playing over Bobby Convey, Alecko Eskandarian, Brian Namoff, and hell even Martins who at least has a proven scoring record? I don't think so.

And yes, I think Santino could do more to stay fit which would prevent injuries, but that's a topic for another thread.

23. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I'd rather Q2 than Perea.

Also, related to that, remember that Perea was Ray's final sub a couple weeks ago against SJ. Our bench is eons stronger if we need a goal today.

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That's true, but even Perea did well against El Salvador. And Chino's performance in that game was by far better than any Quaranta performance this year so far.

25. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    [R] WARNING!!

It's now 4 goals and 2 assists in his last 6 games.