Goff 11/16/04: Looking ahead

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by writered21, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We should definitely have a nice presence at the SuperDraft this year. We need to let everybody know who the Champions are, and what we think of the Metros picks.

As Pints said, maybe we can help organize a pre or post-draft happy hour somewhere in town. We'd love to see you all up in Charm City.

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Oh, boy! Is this gonna be great!

3. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Any particular reason the draft is going to be held in Baltimore, instead of an MLS city?

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be true, as Joe W. says, that we could find a defender as good as Petke for less money. That said, if Nellie goes and we lose Petke as well, Payne/Kasper will have a heavy burden replacing them. The extra SI won't help, because it is unlikely that we could find and afford two internationals who would play for MLS dough. If Nellie goes, we start looking for a replacement, perhaps in the foreign leagues. If we find an outside defender, move Petke to the middle. If we find a central defender, keep Mike where he is. What I'm saying is that I would be very uncomfortable replacing 2/3 of our back line.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Break the Scum picks in early, show them what real fans are like.

6. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I'm guessing its because they're gonna do it at the ESPNZone on the harbor. I think that Arena announced the roster for the 2002 WC team from there.

If I can make it to this...I'm there!

7. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the SuperDraft coincide with NSCAA coaches convention or some such thing.

Definitely, the SuperDraft is worth attending. Party time.

8. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    It is part of the NSCAA coaches convention. I believe you can buy a day pass for the event at about $30.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Baltimore has an MLS team...It is called: Four Time MLS Cup Champions DC United!

It is easier for our Baltimore contingent to get to RFK than people from San Jose to get to Spartan Stadium...

:)

Now back to the discussion at hand: I fully expect to only protect a core of the relatively cheap and absolutely essential guys. Players like Wanker and Kovalenko with large salaries are just not in major jeopardy compared to players like Namoff or Gros. The expansion teams get 4 Senior Internationals and 5 Transitional Internationals. They can't afford to pay the big bucks for journeymen players...

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

This makes sense, in that case there is plenty of drinknign to be done in a very small area. hell this city thrives on two things. Hospitals and beer. period.

I am sure all us Baltimore folks would be helpful in setting something up.
    Party at Lowcifers! ;)

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Because the best team in the league is in the DC/Baltimore metroplex. Duh.

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fvck the Orioles, Baltimore is Jaimetown!

13. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Hmmmm....Maybe a "Jaime is the real MVP" banner should be brought along :D

Anyone know when they are holding the draft this/next year? Wasn't it like the first week of Jan last time?

-dave

14. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Unfortunately though there's no guarantee that putting a big money player up for grabs assures that he won't be grabbed. These teams can have a big name or two. Dema or Wank - if only because they're coming from defending MLS Cup champs DCU - become of greater marketing interest and more valuable to another team. No way we can't protect them.

It's too bad Earnie announced his decision already. Would be very nice to dish off a player through the draft, then later he says, well I decided I'd rather play in Holland than in Salt Lake City. Then we lose him yes, but he likely would have been lost anyway.

15. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch that hurt.

Hopefully the Metros will draft Ken O'Brien.

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Here's the convention schedule.

The SuperDraft will be held from Noon to 5:00 pm on Friday, January 14th. It's going to be in the main Ballroom of the Baltimore Convention Center. This is right across the street from The Wharf Rat on Pratt Street. It's a good English-style pub.

...we should probably start a thread for SuperDraft planning.

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Cough cough. I feel like I'm getting a cold that will probably start sometime around the middle of January. It must be this draft that's blowing through the office that's causing it.

:)

18. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Sweet Jesus that's right across from my bulidng! (the one I work in, not the ones I leap over in a single bound).

*note to self, call in sick on Friday January 14th.....*

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Is that a draft, or a Superdraft blowing through the office?

20. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I can't decide if that deserves positive or negative rep.

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

too late I already did...............POSITIVE!

22. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
  23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Winter break is a glorious thing.

24. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    For all those giving me the 'duuuuhhhh' comment about Baltimore already having a team, well, DUH! I drive from Pennsylvania to RFK, made it to 5 games this year, I was there for the shoot-out win over the Revs.

So...

Don't DUH me!!! ;)