God Save the Queen!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by KareemSoda, Jul 7, 2005.

1. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the good people of England at this dark time. Perhaps we could arrange
    some way to show our support for our British cousins during Saturday's
    match? Any ideas?

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the perfect solution.

We can play God Save the Queen (English National Anthem) before the NY-LA game and at the same time while showing support for our English brothers and sisters we can also invite Codey to the game and give him a heart attack thus removing yet anonther roadblock in the staduim process.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would certainly hope that a minute's silence (with the players on the field) is held before each MLS game.

4. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    Well its a good idea!!

The people of England deserve it

5. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever the gesture, I'll certainly participate.

To anyone with friends and family in London: I hope you have received good news this morning. We have several collegues in our London office, and were lucky that all are well. My sympathies to the victims and their family and friends.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    If someone has a Union Jack, perhaps they could bring it & display it. If that person is in 101, perhaps ESC members could hold it aloft during the proposed minute of silence. We do have some British natives in our midst.

7. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a St. George Cross from an England fan after the England match at GS. I'll be bringing that as it's the only English flag I have. My heart goes to all who have suffered from this horrible event.

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    That's a good idea, since it was previously displayed at an international match. Let's hope someone brings a Union Jack.

9. jolysaddler

jolysaddler New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Walsall, England
    cheers for all the good will messages guys, think the country is kind of in shock at the moment, no-one really knows whats going on.

luckily everyone i knew was safe but apparently 53 have died which puts a great dent in all the pride we had from getting the olympics, one day of highs then one of incredible lows.

I must also say, having rudolph juliani (spelling?) and president bush in the country has given people a little more confidence in a strange way.

ps:sorry to be picky but its called the union flag, it is only the union jack when flown on a ship. but it still means the same that your planning something, cheers...

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, great! Now we have to bring a ship, too? Why didn't we think to bring the Union Flag instead? :rolleyes:

11. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Somehow, this attack didn't come as a surprise to me at all. With the G8 and the announcement of the Olympics, I was expecting something. I'm just sad that it had to happen to anyone. Unfortunately, my disaster management schooling is coming into play here.

12. One Clean Sheet

One Clean Sheet New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    We owe alot to The Brits. They stand by us because in the face of the Nazis we stood with them. They are our friends, and the word friend is not strong enough to descibe their loyalty. God Save the Queen.
    (We could sing "God Save The Queen" if the words are posted, we know the tune already)

13. MetroSexual

MetroSexual New Member

May 23, 2005
    PA
    Amen and God Bless to everyone in England right now. Here's to England for persevering and rising above in the midst of a very dark and tragic day. Peace and Love. God Save the Queen.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Irregardless (as we say in NY), if someone brings one, we'll hold it aloft.

15. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be sure, if I hold up the St. George's Cross one, that isn't disrespectful in any way is it? I know it's not your traditional national flag, and only usually seen at soccer matches.

16. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about for everyone who doent have an English flag, they print one up? A picture of one should be easy enough to find online.

17. jolysaddler

jolysaddler New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Walsall, England
    No, basically the st georges flag is the English flag so it is totally up to you which you fly. i think you will see a high number of both.

if there is something done at the game, please get and post pictures. i will then post them on some local teams message boards and it may be the start of a beautiful friendship.. maybe even friendlies..

18. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I will be there and get pictures. They will be posted here once I get them uploaded to my site.

Here's hoping for a LOT of flags!

19. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    GSTQ is the British Anthem, not the English one (England doesn't have one)

GSTQ would be a wholy inappropriate song to sing given the content of the lyrics. Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem would better as you're looking at paying tribute to the English and indeed British people rather than some privelaged bint.

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're in our thoughts and prayers. :(

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I'm with PRenn. Why not show some solidarity without offending the segment of British people who feel cheated by the royal family?

22. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999

I think either 'God save the queen' or 'Jerusalem' is fine. It should be noted that the Queen in 'God Save the Queen' symbolically represents the whole country (not just herself, ala 'The Royal Mail' = normal postal service, not Elizabeth's personal mailman!), and nobody outside of England knows the words to Jerusalem (which is a very nice song, though). The whole point of monarchy in modern western countries is to divorce the symbolic representative of power (i.e. the queen) from the current politics of daily life (Tony Blair).

23. trmtrm

trmtrm Member

Sep 19, 2002
    New Sweater
    [font=Courier,sans-serif]And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the Countenance Divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
    Bring me my arrows of desire!
    Bring me my spear! O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my chariot of fire!
    I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land.[/font]

That would be awesome to sing.
    (I love to throw this in the face of people who look at me funny when I say "builded" instead of built.)

24. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it borrow a melody from a pre-existing song or is the melody one-of-a-kind?

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Symoblism? What it actually represents to many as an actual manifestation of greed and theft and a terrrible waste of taxpayer dollars.