God help us - random thoughts in 2023

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Jul 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #926 SamScouse, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    must be so comforting to live in a country that enjoys strict separation of church and state.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really intrigued to see where this goes next....

3. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    The opinion and the reasoning behind it are pretty far out there for sure. On another note, AP was reporting today that 6 in 10 American adults feel this is a Christian country, and that a state religion should be declared (if I'm reading this right). I personally have nothing against Christianity or religion per se, but I'm shocked that so many of us seem to have completely missed one of the founding principles of the country - freedom of religion in all forms and no state religion, separation of church and state. Really basic stuff.

usscouse, B.A. and delaynomo repped this.
  4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    The GOP knows that denying access to abortion is a surefire loser in the polls, despite what the fundies might say. They’re already trying to do the wolf in a sheep’s clothing thing with it. Pretend to be in favor of some sort of access, all the while looking for ways to restrict further.

Watch now how quickly they’re going to back away from this IVF ruling, saying of course they don’t agree with it, but doing little to fight it. And then blaming the Democrats for everything.

Does it matter that the Alabama chief justice is pretty much QAnon muppet? :rolleyes:

usscouse repped this.
  5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I read that Louboutin has a global copyright on shoes that have red soles, and they are happy to sue anyone who breaches it.
    :);)

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Given what hey charge for their shoes they can likely afford good lawyers!

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I don't think these kind of polls are very accurate. They are accurate to the degree that they sample people who are likely to engage with polling.

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The US Supreme Court seems to have joined in with the spirit of the age.....

as in "To Know Not Shame"
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/poli...ex.html?iid=cnn_buildContentRecirc_end_recirc

This case has near-absolutely no business wasting the Court or the People's time. Two Higher Courts have already said unanimously that it is an idiotic assertion that is being made. Why is the Court indulging this cretinous behaviour? Why ..... indeed.....?

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    upload_2024-2-29_14-2-37.png

Meanwhile, Tucker sat through it like Marie Antoinette at an interview with the Committee for Public Safety a few days after Louis lost his head..... o_Oo_O

usscouse repped this.
  11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Super Tuesday. 2 things getting coverage, but not being taken seriously enough. Yet.

1. It’s a lot closer to November and the outlier polls of last year wherein Biden was behind or struggling still haven’t shifted dramatically. There’s going to come a point where this is going to be a big problem.

2. Lumpy is definitely, really dementia-ing up. He is losing it more and more with each passing day and it’s being largely dismissed or explained away. The conventional wisdom has it that it’s Biden with the cognitive decline. Perhaps a bit here and there, but nothing really of note and certainly nothing compared to Lumpy who has dementia in his family and is exhibiting more and more of the symptoms. This will have to be answered.

2a. All these trials, judgements and verdicts are going to have a much larger effect on the results than is imagined so far. Despite the SC’s best efforts.

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    What a great idea. Did he get this from when someone read him a passage from Mein Kampf?

Responding to the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling Monday that he can remain on the Colorado ballot after the state, citing the 14th Amendment, removed him for engaging in insurrection, Donald Trump on Monday suggested he should have absolute immunity "for the good of the country and actually the good of the world."

13. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bet is that this will be the first modern Presidential election which doesn't have a live debate. I don't think Trump has the capacity to control himself anymore, and so his camp will argue the debates are run by the deep-state and so won't agree to debate rules. Trump has gotten so used to spouting lies and saying anything he wants that it'd be a disaster to put him up in a debate where he might actually be challenged on the veracity and content of his statements. I'm afraid that Biden's camp will be worried that he'll flub a question. I think he's generally pretty coherent when he does speak. But he does have a gaffe in him, and always has. We all know that any gaffe he makes is going to be pounced upon by the Trump campaign.

As to the polls, I am not really worried about them yet. As bad as it is, most of the country just isn't engaged yet, and unfortunately are probably of the "pox on both houses" attitude. While most pro-Biden or neutral voters are probably not willing to even engage with the pollsters, the pro-Trump voters certainly are. I bet there is a significant over-sampling of riled up pro-Trump voters who are more than happy to tell a pollster how much they want to vote for Trump. I just can't believe that there are that many people willing to actually vote for Trump again that these numbers hold up once the general electorate gets engaged later this year.

But maybe I'm wrong and there are too many naive and misguided voters out there who are actually willing to put that dangerous imbecile back into office. If there are, the US deserves whatever happens to it when Trump does get back into power.

14. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Rough on the innocent bystanders (aka the rest of the civilised world).

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can say I'm one of the ugh I don't want to deal with politics again types.

the fact that this country is looking at Biden versus Trump part two is just ludicrous. Neither ********ing party has anyone better?

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Both parties do, but as is often the case, the best person for the job doesn’t (rarely?) get it.

usscouse repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the NYT's persistent false-equivalency reporting, ignoring Trump's shit, is pissing off a lot of people, apparently. they recently posted a poll asking people if Biden was too old.

one response summed up the frustration: “NY Times, did you ask your random voters whether Trump is too insane, doddering, racist, sexist, criminal, traitorous, hateful to be effective as President?”

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/05/...ge-backlash?cid=external-feeds_iluminar_yahoo

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    do a quick google "Trump showing signs of dementia" - plenty of recent content from mental health professionals.

example:
    In a recent conversation with Dr. John Gartner, a prominent psychologist and contributor to the bestselling book "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President," the former faculty member at Johns Hopkins University told me that based on Trump's speech, memory, recall, and other behavior, he appears to be “hypomanic” and cognitively deteriorating at a rapid rate:

"I had to speak out now because the 2024 election might turn on this issue of who is cognitively capable: Biden or Trump? It's a major issue that will affect some people's votes. Not enough people are sounding the alarm, that based on his behavior, and in my opinion, Donald Trump is dangerously demented. In fact, we are seeing the opposite among too many in the news media, the political leaders and among the public. There is also this focus on Biden's gaffes or other things that are well within the normal limits of aging. By comparison, Trump appears to be showing gross signs of dementia. This is a tale of two brains. Biden's brain is aging. Trump's brain is dementing."
    -------------
    Trump manifested a number of phonemic paraphasias. He was trying to say evangelist, for example, but haltingly said "evangelish.” He was trying to say “three years later," but said, “three years, lady, lady, lady.” Trying to spit out the word “lately,” he sounded like a car with a bad battery struggling to turn over. When Trump can't find a word his whole demeanor changes. It’s almost like someone pulled the metaphorical plug. Trump looks blank, stops in mid-sentence (or mid-word), his jaw goes a little slack, and when he starts to talk again, he slurs, speaks haltingly, and often looks confused. Trying to get the word out, he shifts to a non-word that is easier to pronounce. When people are losing their ability to use language they use non-words. They start with the stem of the real word, and then they improvise from there.

more here: https://www.salon.com/2024/03/01/li...lug-dr-john-gartner-on-accelerating-dementia/

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There are a couple of Dems that would work well. But the party is hanging onto the incumbent.

I can’t see any Repugnants that haven’t kissed the orange gibbons ring now that Nikki had dropped out.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Watch. The GOP will really have lost a generation and gone over to the dark side when/if McConnell endorses Lumpy.

In 2016, I was one of the many who thought it just too ridiculous that Lumpy could beat Clinton. No way. Just go back to your TV show. And I maintain to this day, that Lumpy had no real aspirations on 1600, he was on a PR exercise to boost his TV show. At the time, it had pretty much run its course and either had been cancelled or was to be so and a run for the Oval Office was largely just a way to salvage his show. But no way, no how was he going to win, right? Until he came up against an opponent who also believed that, ran a dog shit campaign, and refused to believe the writing on the wall. Underestimation is the word and concept I’m looking for.

Yes, a lot of the auguries are against him, but let’s do the underestimating in mid-November this time and not beforehand. To be fair, whatever your feelings on Biden are, whatever else he may or may not have done, he gets this.

21. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    I still cling to the hope that the Democrats will do the right thing and hand the nomination to a qualified younger candidate while allowing Biden to move to emeritus status with appropriate dignity. It's increasingly probable that other people are taking the big decisions now; this will only accelerate in the coming years if Biden stays. While the brain trust may be well qualified, its never great when non-elected people are calling all the big shots.

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    (Leaving aside the age factor - the factual results are that Biden is being a reasonably steady and successful presidential hand. Most metrics of governance are working out fine in comparative terms with other recent Presidencies.)

Why is there even any type of comparison to a mentally unstable near-imbecile, who had one crisis in his 4 years and completely botched any kind of coherent attempt to deal with it??
    And who now spends all his time openly attacking the law and the Constitution?

You are being drawn into a qualitative mind-match-contest which doesn't actually exist in reality of principle.

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    There was a decent chance of this scenario had Lumpy not been the GOP nominee. Once he was/has been confirmed, Biden’s all in. Rightly or wrongly, Biden believes he can beat him when many other Democrats cannot. I think he’s right on that one.

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Wow! I really thought McConnell might not endorse him or wait a long, long time, such as after the Convention.

Just now: “It’s become abundantly clear that former President Trump has earned the requisite support of Republican voters to be our nominee for President of the United States…it should come as no surprise that as nominee, he will have my support.”

McConnell blamed Lumpy for January 6th and said he should be held accountable and face charges.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  25. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McConnell is a horrible human being by choice. History will not be kind to him for how he intentionally worked to destroy any semblance of democracy and checks and balances.

delaynomo, owian and speker repped this.