God Bless the Stanley!

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by HuntKop, Apr 16, 2006.

1. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After so many years out of League football - it's great to see the boys from Accrington back.

Who are they indeed!!!

2. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wholeheartedly agree. The phrase "footballing fairytale" could have been coined specifically for their fortunes. With the addition of a couple of new players and the support of a nostalgic country, I can see them achieving a respectable mid-table place at the end of next season, just missing out on the playoffs the year after, and making a genuine push for promotion to League 1 in 2008-09.

I think (with the exception of actual Stanley fans) Stanley are everyone's second-favourite team right now! :)

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Indeed, an d great to see Accrington in the Football League. But remember that this is a different club from the one that resigned from the league in '61. They re-formed in '68 and took the old name.

4. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've been indirectly following them for the last few years now, and my friend and I (he's from Michigan, USA) brought an Accrington Stanley-themed England flag to the England / USA friendly in Chicago last year. Donning our Stanley tops, we recieved too many "who are they"s to count, but it was truly a great time, and people really enjoyed seeing the club's name on a banner.

You can even see a picture/article of us w/the flag here:
    http://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/index.php?main=news/features/usvuk.htm

Up the Stanley!

5. Poppy The Shaker

Poppy The Shaker New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Manchester
    It’s great to see Stanley back in the football league and doing their bit for North West football. I’m sure it’ll be a great turn up when we play them away next season, especially with the two teams in close distance to one another.

Hopefully we won’t get relegated.

See you next season (hopefully)

- Poppy the Shaker

6. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    We played them in the Boxing/New Years Day derby games, and they were decent, but didn't look any better than the rest of the competition (they needed two late equalisers). Of course they then proceeded to win 11 on the trot.

Good luck to them next year, and I'm hoping we can join them in getting promoted. Just back from a very good result up at York. Should make the playoffs from here.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good luck to Accrington Stanley next season. And here's hoping they can prosper and gain some more support. They've had a rapid rise in recent years and the danger for them is that the fan base won't quite be big enough to support anything other than a struggling side. If they can make it through the next couple of years they can go from strength to strength.

I think they'll get quite good away support going to their place next season. The club's (previous) obscurity has bizarrely made them famous, had has given the club an evocative aura that it'd have never achieved had they not seemingly disappeared to oblivion for so long.

8. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Their ground does struggle a bit with sizeable away followings. In particular trying to get out of it. Actually quite a nice place, but will be one of the smaller places around.