Goalkeeping prospects

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juventino3, Jul 11, 2005.

1. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Who is our netminder of the future?

2. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    I voted for Howard, because he is still the answer to this question at this point in time. But I do think the two expansion keepers are young and talented and should be watched over the next few years.

3. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Howard in 2010, between Guzan and Howard in 2014.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I vote for DJ as an all-star and he lets 4 go by him against Chivas :(

5. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I sincerely believe that Matt Reis will be our starting goalkeeper after the World Cup. The guy is a beast, but there is no denying the talent of Guzan and Countess. Both of these guys are having outstanding seasons. They look like the next Friedel and Keller to me.

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I thought he played very well actually. It should have been like 10-1 :)

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    You should have included Westberg.

Not that I necessarily think he will be our number 1. But he at least merits a spot in the poll.

8. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I was thinking more toward the build-up of 2010. Westberg has no chance to make that squad.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    didn't actually watch - someone told me through IM last night.

my reaction when she told me the score : "Is DJ Countess drunk?"

in all honesty, I've thought that DJ has shown himself to be the most talented keeper in MLS right now, but perhaps not the most reliable. He's got Howard-like talent. and I'll be curious to see when Bruce makes a move for him. Great shot-blockers are hard to find.

Its possible he came into the league too quickly.

10. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a sec... Guzan plays for Chivas... isn't he Mexican or something?

11. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    The spanish announcers have Mexicanized him as Guzano but he's just a big white kid.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    nope. he looks hilarious out there to be honest. 500 Mexican/Latino players. 1 white-dude who looks like a Nebraska farm-boy (mind the stereo-types, just trying to get a visual image across)

I imagine he knows how to speak spanish though

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What about Westberg?

Sachin

14. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my thinking exactly

15. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard -- our most talented young keeper, an incredible shot blocker, still improving, will be starting somewhere (if not Man U) in a season or two, is playing at the highest level, and my guess is that he's receiving world-class training too.

There's a reason he has (as of my vote) 86% of the votes on this poll.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Couldn't agree more. These guys have very bright futures.

At the 2014 World Cup, DJ will be 32, in his goalkeeping prime, and Guzan will be 29. While I still expect many great GKs to come along between now and then, these guys will have so much experience to go along with their talent and physical gifts, that I suspect they'll have a signifigant leg up. I think after Keller retires, these two will be the ones most-often pushing Howard for 2010.

17. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    The job is Howard's to lose. What I saw of Westberg in the U-20s did not impress me. Countess shouldn't be counted out for the future. He's a former youth international, and youth international keepers can't be expected to move up to the Big Team as rapidly as field players do, so the fact that he didn't move up when some of his teammates did is of no real consequence. The days of 20 or so year-olds like Tony Meola and Kasey Keller being our World Cup keepers, as they were in 1990, are long gone. Countess will probably just get better for the next few years.

18. Biggun

Biggun New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    No question that Howard is the most talanted young keeper in the stable. SAF just killed is confidence at Man U. Maybe with the new contract and VDS there he will be more settled and regain the form he had when he first move. Don't forget he was considered the best keeper the EPL his first year there.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Matt Reis and Joe Cannon will both turn 35 in the winter of 2010. Will that make them too old for the World Cup? Perhaps. Certainly plenty of GKs are still going strong at that age, but it’s no sure thing. I mean, look at MLS. Only one of the current starters (and I include Jon Busch in this) is older than 35. (Ironically, the only non-American.)

Busch - 28
    Cannon – 30
    Countess - 23
    Garlick - 33
    Guzan - 20
    Hartman - 31
    Onstad - 37
    Oshoniyi - 33
    Reis - 30
    Rimando - 26
    Thornton - 31
    Walker - 30
    Wells - 24

Of the US keepers abroad, yeah, Keller is still going strong at 35. Friedel is 34, Hahnemann is 33, and Howard is 26. So, of all the American GKs starting in MLS or playing in Europe, only one is the age Reis and Cannon will be at the 2010 World Cup.

So, while it’s entirely possible both will still be at the top of their game, odds are they’ll be surpassed by younger players before then.

20. aaronbrown

aaronbrown Member

May 6, 2004
    San Diego
    DJ Countess will never be a USMNT caliber goalkeeper. He wasn't that good on the youth teams and wouldn't start over Hope Solo.

If I'm wrong though I'll let R. Kelly fart in my food tonight.

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    your already wrong as he was considered a standout in the youth ranks

22. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id serisouly consider westberg for the job after 2010. espescially if he continues to mature abroad.

forza inter

23. benvan

benvan Member

Nov 15, 2000
    San Francisco
    Am I the only one still holding out hope for Adin Brown?

24. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Countess was actually outstanding at the youth level and a much better prospect then Westberg in my eyes.

25. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Whether Matt Reis plays in 2010 is debatable, but the fact remains that he is an excellent keeper who could easily play top flight football at a big club in Europe. He has the total package. Great size, shot stopping ability, total command of the penalty area, handles crosses very well, and his distribution is excellent. He's currently in his prime and better than Howard (let's forget that he's playing at Man U for a moment), Countess, and Guzan. Barring injuries, he should have 4 or 5 more good years . Look how good Keller is. He hasn't lost a step.