Goalkeepers

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by MrSoloDolo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. MrSoloDolo

MrSoloDolo Member

Aug 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Elizaga and Cevallos's era is over. They served Ecuador well and we have experienced much glory with these top-notch keepers. But who will fill the void left by these legends? Cristian Mora, the starter at Germany 2006 who fell out of favor after a poor Copa America 2007 but has regained form and once again been receiving callups and more playing time with his new club El Nacional? Will it be Daniel Viteri, who led us to our first two defeats, allowing 6 goals and not being called up since? Maximo Banguera, our third choice? All talented goalies, dont get me wrong, but only one will earn the confidence of our new tecnico (Bauza/TBA). WHo do you think? Express your opinion and introduce new goalies to the mix.

2. santiago87

santiago87 New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I like dominguez hes good , tall , and he has good passing. He needs more experience and than for sure hell be our goalie for the 2014 WCQ

3. sebas/Liga De Quito

Feb 18, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Let me start with viteri jamas para la seleccion y peor para Liga. Dida para la sele. He's young, talented, and with Liga hes playing important games. Thats the goal keeper that we need.

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    DIDA DOMINGUEZ!!! First option over all!!

Who is Viteri??? If your referring to that mono who is the worst keeper (besides Ibarra) to ever play in our NT....f*ck HIM!!!

Anyway...I'd say Alexander Dominguez, Rorys Aragon, Maximo Banguera, Manuel Mendoza, Cristian Mora....Dominguez, Banguera and Aragon being our 3 keepers for the next qualifier

5. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Lille wants Aragon....

6. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    After today's game, I'm sold. Dominguez is our next NT goalkeeper.

7. rgfmich

rgfmich New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Dominguez is my first choice. He's got physical attributes that none of the other contenders have with his length (how tall is he anyway?). Watching him for Liga lately, he's been swallowing up any cross that comes his way with confidence. He's also making tough saves.

Obviously the only thing he needs is experience and confidence in big games. If Liga can make a run for the title in the Copa Sudamericana, he'll get that experience and then play him in our friendlies leading up to the Copa America.

So my vote is Dominguez.

8. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Banguera and Dominguez..... both tall, big, young guys, with good reflexes. Aragon fits in as well ... Only these three so far.

never ever ever ever ever i repeat ever Viteri.

Mendoza is good, but doesn't convince me yet.

Mora is whatever to me...

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    yeah, i actually heard he was having problems with that turkish team (financial problems) concerning his contract...so he's trying to leave ASAP. That's why we haven't seen him play there the last 2 games. Wow, it's funny how Aragon hasn't left a team b/c of poor performances but more b/c of personal problems with the team he plays for. But I think he should go wherever he will get playing time. I think he should have been in our NT since over a year ago. He's gained enough experienced in Europe by now he seriously deserves a chance. The last time we saw Aragon in our NT was when he was new in Europe and benched in Standard...he's conquered a lot since then.

10. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    True that. At the same time, I'd feel much safer with either Banguera or Dominguez in the net. Aragon should have stayed at Standard but whatever the reason for his departure, he now has to go somewhere else to fight for a spot. Lille is not a bad option at all, the team always finishes in the top half of the French League and has played UEFA Cup and Champions League soccer for the past few years, with a few spats here and there with no intl play. Regardless, I've always liked French GK's, I think they develop pretty decent ones. I'd still have Banguera and Dominguez as first options. Right now, I'm pretty sure Dominguez is the front runner simply because he's gaining experience left and right domestically and internationally.

11. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If it was up to me I would say lets see what Dominguez and Banguera can do for the national team. Start them in some international friendlies. Both are young, tall, athletic goalkeepers and they deserve a shot. By the way Dominguez is 6'5, this guy is huge. Personally, I still believe Elizaga is going to get a few more call-ups, and it wouldn't be bad since I still think he has a little left in the tank and can also be somewhat of a mentor to the younger keepers coming up on the scene.

12. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Ya,I agree Viteri sucks,that goal Venezuela scored on him could have been prevented with a decent goalkeeper like Elizaga,but I'm surprised when I see highlights of him in that match he actually made much harder saves than the one against the free kick,yet he couldn't save it!But,I think besides Ibarra,and Viteri,JAcinto Espinoza should go down as well on the list of arqueros monos terribles.That guy sucks balls!oo and also Javier Klimowicz is decent,he's kind of like Elizaga and he's started for Ecuador in friendlies before like the one against El Salvador in Quito two years ago.He's got a few years left he's like 34 I think,but I think much younger options would be better,theirs a guy called Jonathon Bonilla from the u-20 team that was alright,what about Bonard Garcia from El Nacional??Even,Damian Lanza I swear he had a one year stint in the Serie A with Genoa.

13. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Klimowicz just turned 32 btw...I think it was a mistake for him to go to Emelec when he damn well knew Elizaga was the starter there...what made him think that would change??

Anyway Damian Lanza is a lost case being Emelec's 3rd string keeper LOL...he had potential to become a great keeper but it's all gone down the drain now. I wouldn't depend on him.

And as far as Bonilla and Garcia...I couldn't give my opinion on them b/c I haven't seen much from either one.

14. sebas/Liga De Quito

Feb 18, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Anyone else heard what the fox peeps called Dida yesterday? Michael Jordan Domingues Lmao!

15. siempreazul

siempreazul Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Dominguez is good for the national team but Banguera, he does not convince me. Last year they scored some goals on him that should have not been goals. If you are able to see all the goals that were scored on him in Barcelona, he is the one to blame in about a third or half the goals that were scored on Barcelona. He is not a reliable goalkeeper according to me. There are other keepers that could be considered for the national team such as Klimowics, Mora, Aragón, Lanza, Garcia, that is to name a few.

16. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    yea, they were SOooo impressed by his hight and athleticism. They had like a full on conversation about his hight hahaha.

17. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    lol i didn't catch that and i watched that whole game.

18. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    OMG.....Mora nunca mas a la seleccion, he blows! Same with Lanza, his time is long gone, and Bonard Garcia just had a good year a few years back and that's it!
    Banguera is 1000000 times better than those 3....
    Aragon and Klimowitz are fine keepers.

19. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I actually woudln't mind Mora coming back and starting as goalkeeper if he gets his act together and starts playing like before the Copa America 2007,and as long as we have tight defence like in the two macthes against Poland and Costa Rica in the '06 Wrold Cup,and Mora is playing great again I wouldn't mind him.But,what saddens me is that Lanza became another lost cause because he had potential,and he was 23 and already playing in the Seria A in Italy with Genoa(who were a decent team)

20. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't agree that Mora was EVER good. Terrible goalkeeper and I can't stand him. Like you say, he only didn't get scored a lot in the World Cup cause of our defense...
    I thught he sucked before the World Cup but the man is dead to me since the Beckham goal. He ********ed up big time and it was completely his fault.

Some people tend to have short term memory here.....

21. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    WOW no ones typed on this thread for over eight months, anyway Mora was decent before the World Cup alot of ppl(not Ecuadorians) praised his goalkeeping ability because he had fast reflexes at times. But, he was just decent above mediocre he wasn't all that impressive like people made him out to be. His brainfarts really began in 2007 during the Copa America, which now that I notice wow guys it's been 3years free of la seleccion without Mora. But, anyway thats the time when Ecuador began experiementing with goalkeepers and the discovery of Elizaga came about which was a great discovery, Klimowicz as well, but then came the tragedy that was Daniel Viteri to la seleccion to start the two matches against Brazil and Venezuela.This was a very sad year I can say for la seleccion. 2007.:(

Anyways I think we should start looking for newer goalkeepers and stop depending on Elizaga and foreigners. La selccion should tryout Bonilla, or Dominguez, Manuel Mendoza,Luis Preti who won the Libertadores with Liga he looks promising as well,Danny Cabezas from el nacional

22. MrSoloDolo

MrSoloDolo Member

Aug 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    gotta start thinking about Copa America and qualifiers....form-dependent, I go with Elizaga a (if he's available), Dominguez, and Aragon

23. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    mora was lucky as fackkk, every time i watched him the other team hit the post, remember? poland, costa rica, even the beckham goal grazed the post a bit haha even in liga de quito sesalbava

24. siempreazul

siempreazul Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Since I want to talk about goalkeepers, I do not want to appear that I am attacking to a particular goalkeeper. Today, I did not have anything to do at around 1300h New York City time and I decided to watch the game of D. Cuenca vs Barcelona on Ecuavisa Internacional. As soon as I get to the channel, I see that D. Cuenca scores the one and only goal of the game that ended being the final and deciding goal of the game. I saw a goalkeeper that did not know how to react on a particular moment outside the goal line. Banguera is a good shot blocker and makes sometimes expectacular saves to prevent a goal. When he has to come out of the goal line or a few steps out of the small box, he seems very insecure as if he did not know what to do. He looked like an amateur on that particular play. He is not convincing me to be on the caliber of one of the best goalkeepers for the National Team. I hope that Reinaldo Rueda is wise and makes the right choice in picking the appropriate goalkeeper for the National Team. I have been watching him for some time and I have noticed mistakes that caused goals that should have been prevented by him. There are other goalkeepers that should be taken into consideration before deciding on who will be the #1, #2, and #3 goalkeeper for the National Team. The goalkeeper is key for the National Team to hope for a spot for the next World Cup. I like Elizaga but Rueda should be thinking at this moment for other goalkeepers. I am not saying to eliminate Elizaga from the list but to try other goalkeepers at this time. This is the moment for any type of experimentation not when the National Team is already playing the qualifying games for the World Cup.

25. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Banguera hasn't yet disappointed in the NT. he's actually done better than expected. Whatever he does in Barcelona, i don't care about as long as he doesn't bring that bs to the NT. I don't see him as the #1 keeper but he's definitely top 3, maybe even #2 right now after his last 2 games vs Mexico and Venezuela which weren't bad performances at all. Of course literally speaking, Cevallos is STILL #1. But I agree, we need to try out more keepers soon.