"Goal! The Dream Begins" review

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Footix, May 2, 2006.

1. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    [​IMG]

Saw this film last night with a the same posse who thoughtfully reviewed the Jessica Biel blockbuster "London" here a few weeks ago...

As soccer films go, this one is wholly decent. A really solid cast and plenty of legit looking soccer action makes the mostly predictible storyline actually interesting, and even though the movie was obviously made for a family audience, the lack of skin and bad language is not really missed. Parts of it seem like a Disney version of Footballers Wives, but it wasn't corny by any means.

And who doesn't want to see a movie with short appearances by worldwide superstars like David Beckham, Brian Johnson of AC/DC, and Carlos Bocanegra?

The star of the film, Mexican televison actor Kuno Becker, is pretty great in the lead role, and comes off as kind of a cross between Ricky Martin & Robbie Williams.

Great soundtrack, featuring three (good) Oasis songs, the obligitory Kasabian track, and fine incidental music by Graeme Revell.

I had no idea this is the first film of a trilogy...that's some gutsy investing.

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Movie commentator: "And it's a goal for Newcastle…Patrick Kluivert scores!"
    Us: "Well, now you know it's a movie…"

And somehow Fox Soccer Midget Allen "I've been practicing my booming voice inflection since I was 7" Hopkins is a co-producer, so you know it's quality.

Cheap shots aside though, it actually was a decent movie. Smug bigsoccer types will go there (in a ManUtd kit, no doubt) and walk out going "well, I know more about soccer than that movie", but that's missing the point (and a lot else in life, but anyway). It was written for family types and the like, but something hard core soccer fans could sit through as well eventhough it isn't Football Factory (sort of like how Harry Potter is a kids book that adults read).

It was predictable, and cliché, and the plot twists were straighter than a Texas highway, but you still didn't have a bad time. In the movie, Newcastle are fighting for 4th and a place in Europe, but they didn't talk down to the audience to try to explain what that means. You would expect them to just be playing for the championship because no American would normally make a movie about a team fighting for 4th place. They did what you figure they would do (love interest, etc), but you didn't hate yourself for watching it. It never slowed down or became tedious. And, if you think of the soccer movies released in the US: Victory, Kicking & Screaming, Ladybugs, Shoalin Soccer…this is a very large step up for seriousness, even if it does have a bit of a male "Bend it Like Barrio" feel to it.

A number of great scenery shots of Newcastle (did the tourism board get in on the funding?), some predictable fan stuff (old ladies looking over the primadonna signing going "You're shite!", etc), Oasis songs…I did actually enjoy it. And, it's a good thing, because- knowing that everyone here is the "soccer nerd" in their family- we're all going to be getting this DVD for Christmas, btw.

The funniest part of the movie, to me, was the 50 girls that started screaming when Beckham was on screen (for a tolerably short 40 seconds), like the Beatles had just landed at JFK again. Gladly, the only eyeroll came from the crowd, not the movie.

3. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Fixed.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helloooooooo Nurse!!!

[​IMG]

5. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this guy did the score:

[​IMG]

6. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Well, pain don't hurt, we know that.

On the "trilogy" aspect, I'm thinking it's more like a mini-series. It's the same story 3 times, dividing the 300 minutes into 3, hour and forty minute films, so that they can sneak $ 30 out of you, instead of $ 10.

The movie is fine enough as it is, but I think it's got as much "trilogy" going on as American Pie did.

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the kid will play for Mexico.

At least he'll score more goals than Borguetti in the "EPL," but then Newcastle will always be more MASSIVE than Bolton...

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that this was a mostly British production, and the film was released in Europe last year, so it makes sense that they wouldn't dumb it down for Americans.

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just glad that I managed to "piss off" the lone Independiente de Santa Fe fan in the audience.

10. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I just did an image search of that girl who played the nurse, Anna Friel...yowza!

Highlight of the evening for me was when Metroflip had to walk all the way up front and past the screen to get to our seats just before the film started, and Jamison and I started clapping for him...the 50 kids in the back of the room thought since he was being clapped for and in front of the screen, he must have been a dignitary or celeb, so they all clapped & cheered for him as well.

He actually got a louder reaction than Zidane.

11. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Speaking of British Productions, nice Kristy MacColl sig.

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, actually Billy Bragg originally did that one... didn't know MacColl had covered it, I'll have to get that version.

13. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    I thought the movie was pretty bad. It was a sports cliche movie and kinda stupid. But not a bad movie if you like that sort of stuff.

acting was pretty bad but that's expected in a sports cliche movie

14. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    ??..Are u sure about this..i thought he would have played for the U.s..?

15. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw this film back in December on a flight to London. It's kind of the Rudy of the soccer world as I see it. I thought it was pretty cheesy. Nothing too original just a kid going up in a working class family who has a dream of being a big star.

The funny thing is that there will be two more where he plays in Argentina and somewhere else to make up a trilogy.

I don't see it going over too good in the US.

Look how long it has taken for Green Street to get released on DVD. I bought it in London in December and it will get released in June here in the US.

16. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The movie makes it quite clear that his passport is Mexican (you see the green book when he's at the airport), and not American. The characters themselves even mentioned that the guy is an "illegal." If he marries an American, well then, that answers that. His love interest in the movie is English, however, so that may address how he will play for a different team in Europe.

Then again, they mention that the mother left the family, but never addressed as to what nationality she is, maybe she is the Argentine. Who knows.

18. CJCourtney

CJCourtney Member

United States
    Aug 29, 2000
    Greece
  19. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
  20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " It is hard to believe that a dominant player in one of L.A.'s ethnic leagues would not be noticed by scouts from Major League Soccer, the United Soccer Leagues, the Mexican First Division or one of the many other entities known to have contacts in the area...."

Ok, so we seldom miss some good talent...right....

And as to what country the "lad" will play for, it's up in the air:

"The final film, Goal III finishes the trilogy with Santiago appearing in the World Cup representing his country. Which country that will be remains to be seen. Portions of Goal III will be shot in Germany during this year's World CupFinals. "

BTW this is a quite good review

21. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This flick finally came to Indy at the local $1.00 cinema, so I finally got to see it. I agree with everything that people have said - predictable, but entertaining. A well done motion picture. I'm looking forward to the second installment.

22. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still diggin "What's the Story (Morning Glory)" when they take the aerial shot of Newcastle when the kid arrives.

23. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Because of that movie, I now only pronounce the capital of Chile with furrowed brow and a Geordie accent.

24. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Welcome to the Toon!"

"What's the Toon?"

"Well.. that's where Geordies live."

"What are Geordies?"

"Well...people who live in the Toon!"

That was the funniest part for me.
    That and Martin Tyler's awful, leaden play-by-play dialogue.
    That and Newcastle finishing fourth (couldn't resist...)

But I enjoyed watching this despite thinking it was pretty bad. Such is my football affliction. I liked how they incorporated the actors into real game footage, but the star never really looked like he had any skills whatsoever. I was wondering if they inserted that line about "his balance is all wrong" after watching some of that film trickery.

Did Boca give up that penalty? That would count as funny, but only in a most resigned, bittersweet sort of way.

25. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the trailer for Goal 2: Living the Dream. The kid gets transfered to Real Madrid. I think it comes out in January.

[youtube]KhppVTLPDWA[/youtube]