Goal Scoring Leaders

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by shuvy87, Oct 18, 2003.

1. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Do u guys think that either Luiz or Razor will past TnT. They better not. Luiz doesnot deserve it.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Shuvy,

It's Carlos Ruiz, not "Luiz."

It's Ante Razov, not "Razor..."

Never heard either player described as such. Also, Ruiz has already passed Twellman.

Just FYI,

Evan

3. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    I think "Luiz" stands for "Loser Ruiz" (HUGE SMILE)

4. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I think they each have 15 goals after round 29.

5. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz picked up two assists yesterday, giving him a lead over Twellman in the Budweiner Scoring Charts.

6. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Which shows what a true joke the "scoring title" truly is.

Look, they're never going to change system - as you'd probably guess from the myriads of people who post "a goal is a goal is a goal" (duh) when this subject comes up - but the realistic among us know that Ruiz' penalty-padded numbers are just no match for what Twellman has done this year.

7. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a believer in the goal is a goal no matter how scored. I dont believe you would be saying this if the roles were reversed and Twellman had more PK's than Ruiz. Do you think that Ralston should have one less goal counted?

8. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Look, I understand what you're saying and that I'm not going to change your mind.

Fact is though, you're not going to change mind either. I've played a little, and I know that scoring a PK is nothing (nothing at ALL) like scoring one during the run of play.

So when you have a guy like Ruiz (a very good forward IMO) take ALL of your PKs, and nearly half of his recorded "goals" come by way of PK, it just undermines the credibility of the standings.

Bottom line, Taylor Twellman was MUCH better forward this year, and the standing will not reflect this. I know its not going to change - I'll just never take it seriously unless it does.

9. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Ruiz doesnt score next week Twellman will win the goal scoring title, with Preki winning the Budweiser Scoring Title. Why you ask? Ruiz and Twellman have the same amount of goals, but Twellman played less games. Since it is goals and not assists or points, the tiebreaker would be goals per game, which twellman wins.

Early predictions for next year, Twellman and Noonan will rip it up on the charts, and dont be suprised to see Cancela and Ralston on the list.

10. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point, but if anyone says it is automatic at making PK's go ask Taylor. I would like to know what you thought of when Cate had more than half his goals on PK's. Another question if you were to not count PK's into the goal ctaergory, should that not count in th GAA for a goalie?? I am not trying to be an a$$, but I would like to know what people think.

11. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    In complete honesty, I always thought Cate's contribution was overrated for just that reason.
    I'd say no it shouldn't. But I don't think it has nearly the impact as it does on the scoring race.

BTW, when I said I played a little, I meant very little - just HS and recreational - so I'm no expert.