Goal of the Year Voting

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by MikeDitkaStreetCrew, Nov 3, 2003.

1. http://www.mlsnet.com/multimedia/pepsi/2003_goy.php

The goal of the year voting bit is up. Says they'll cut down the list of 30 to a list of 5. There are 4 Fire goals up. Coincidence?

PS - You can vote once a day. Or as many times as you have computers a day. Democracy like it should be.

2. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Woly's goal is great and I wouldn't be surprised if it won but Damani's spin in Columbus is pure skill.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope they do a highlight reel of the top 10 or even better, the top 30 goals from the season. Peter Wilt, you out there? Use you influence. This makes halftime so much more enjoyable. Who doesn't enjoy watching great goals? Even non-soccer fans like this kind of thing.

I have voted 4 times now (I think 4, maybe three). Once for Damani, once for Woly. Once for Damani, once for Woly. Sad thing is, Ruiz's bicycle will get high votes and it wasn't that great (it was too 'premeditated.' It looked like that's what he was going for the whole time...and it was way too close). Bicycles always get votes because they are bicycles. Balboas a few years back was a great goal and it was a bicycle, it wasn't great because it was a bicycle.

Have to spend some time watching them to pick my top 5. Be back in a an hour.

4. Mark Gillespie

Mark Gillespie New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Chicago
    I count 6! Razov, DMB, Perez, and 3 by Ralph.

Personly, I'm going with Ralph Aug. 13.

And to be sporting, I'd say the best goal against the Fire this year was zizi roberts rocket at NSF. I don't think i ever saw a soccer ball go that fast.

I'm also surprised at the Razov goal that's in the voting. I thought the golden goal he got against NY was better.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Razov had two goals better than the header, but neither made the list. His golden goal vs Metros was spectacular, but it was up against another goal or two that were great.

His 2nd goal on 6/14 and I believe the stoppage time goal on 6/28 both against Metros were worthy of GOTW. Carrieri's volley and Albright's first talley of the year beat 'em both in voting respectively. IMHO Carrieri's deserved the honor, but Razov's golden goal was much beter than Albright's.

My picks in order:
    [Top 5]

Wolyniec: Sept. 20th
    Ralph: Augst 13th
    Roberts: Oct 18th
    Glinton: May 17th
    Franchino: Sept 28th

[Top 10]

Ralph: Aug 24th
    Perez: Apr 26th
    Noonan: Oct 4th
    Cunningham: May 31st
    Ruiz: Aug 9th

[Top 15]

Ralph: Sept 13th
    Carrieri: June 14th
    Spencer: Jult 9th
    Buddle: Aug 13th
    Rhine: oct 25th

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    1. Glinton vs Dallas (also gets the award for announcer's call of the year)
    2. Brad Davis vs Metro
    3. ZZ vs Chicago
    4. Perez vs KC
    5. Ralph vs Columbus

7. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not all that impressed with this goal. It's hit very hard and straight, but that's not what a Goal of the Year should take. In that category, broken-leg-boy's rocket is better. Zizi's, too.

Vote early and often, guys. Damani v. Columbus is my pick. Woly's is good, Zizi's is good, but Damani's had flair...

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unfortunate part of this is that Andy Williams just hit the rightful goal of the year on Saturday.

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My top 5:

1. Damani equalizer vs. Columbus [​IMG]
    2. Ruiz bicycle
    3. Wolyniec on the bomb from Guevara
    4. Twellman scorches Ivanov with one touch and hits from deep with the next.
    5. Damani's long run and top of the box blast against the Metros.

Neither Twellman's above goal versus DCU or his volley against Dallas were included in the voting.

I saw Damani's Columbus goal on TV and leapt out of my chair saying "Oh my god!"

10. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    No. Even I have to admit Nipple Tape hit the goal of the year some time ago that was unjustly and ridiculously called back.

That said, Woly's and Damani's Columbus goal are deservedly battling it out for the title.

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no dumb questions, right?
    If so, who is Nipple Tape?

12. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    I'll give you a clue. He used to play with NE and was traded during this season.

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Wolde Harris

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Wolde's goal that wasn't a goal but really was a goal was the best goal I saw all year.
    Next to that I think I can go with Damani's goal in c-bus.
    I'm going to take an honest look at all of them though before I vote.

16. gibby

gibby New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ohio, USA.
    I have to put Glinton's bomb on top simply because that's the one that made me jump up and say "Holy *#*#*#*#!" even more so than Woly's full volley of the long ball from Guevara. That one was a match winner though so some people will take that into account, others will want to eliminate factors like that and just look at the goal itself. In that case, Ralph's pivot and volley against the Crew probably wins out for pure skill. Ruiz's bike did seem a little contrived, he did it just because he wanted to, but still, you have to admire the skill and athleticism it required to pull it off. I'd put it in the Top 5, as it prompted this great reaction from me as a Crew fan, "Nice shot, Ruiz, you bastard!" It all boils down to how you judge the "best" goal. So for me, it's a game of emotion, and the one that evoked that spontaneous reaction from me was Gavin Glinton's bomb against Dallas, so that goes top for me.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Completely agree. In my mind, these two are 1 and 1A ( I just haven't figured out which is which ;))

I honestly think there may have been more spectacular goals this year than any other. If the MLS marketing gurus have their heads on straight, therre could be some awesome advertising opportunities using these babies.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Note to MLS/Chicago/whomever:

Dee.

Vee.

Dee.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be sweet.

20. Mark Gillespie

Mark Gillespie New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Chicago
    I WISH the Fire would do season review dvd's. The MLS did one for the 1999 season - which isn't very much fun for Fire fans.

One thing i noticed watching all these goals is how often the commentators are just blabbing away when a goal is scored. It's more anoying than the fake crowd noise they use on MLS Wrap!

And speaking of DVD's, i've been watching that 7 dvd documenty " The History of Soccer: The Beutiful Game" It's very good. ask for it for xmas!

http://www.shoutfactory.com/hos/

(This is an unpaid endorsement)

21. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm splitting my votes. Day 1 is for Ralphs sprint down field + rocket into goal. Then next day is for Damarcus run halfway down field rocket into goal. then repeat.

22. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    My reaction as I was watching that match and posting at the same time

Read Loney's response about 5 posts after mine, as well as the second to last post in that thread as well...good comedy too :D

23. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess at the MLS tenth aniversary we're going to have to pick the best goal of MLS's first decade..
    That will be tough..:(

24. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bump...

Front page says it's been cut down to five, including Damani at c-bus (that's a great goal, but I just saw his run-and-rocket against Metros again, and that was a great one also).

http://mlsnet.com/special/mlscup/2003/mlscup1110awards.html

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, I just don't see GOTY from Ruiz's bicycle. While Spencer's nomination was a quality goal, I see Roberts strike against the Fire as better.