Goal of the Week

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quake Crazy, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NY/NJ homers have come out in force, and it looks like the Wolyniec goal will win. It's a good one, but..........

3. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    but what?

That's one of the best goals I've ever seen in MLS. An absolute laser into the upper side netting, off a 50 yard ball that comes across his body. It's an amazing goal. Are you so blinded by the Golden Boy that you can't even acknowledge a beautiful goal like Wolyniec's?

4. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    but ???... nevermind that Woly's goal is hands down the obvious choice. Get a clue.

5. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wolyneics goal was an awesome individual finish. However Landons second goal was much more than just a fancy finish. He was involved three times, including some stunning individual skill in rescuing Roners bad return pass before involving Dwaynne and his beautiful pass beating the defence.

Two stunning goals, completely different. I for one prefer the team and build up passing goals to the spectacular shot, but, that just my opinion.

-Richard

6. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As a completely neutral observer, Woly's goal is without a doubt the goal of the week. Donovan's was great and all, but the other one would be goal of the week in any league in the world almost every week that it happened.

7. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    I agree with rcoull, but I don't mind Wolyniec winnning goal of the week (he does deserve it.) Both were great goals, but the flashy goal will always win and of course, somewhat deservedly. This is not to take away from the skill involved in Wolyniec's goal either.

The worst situation this year was when Carlos Ruiz won goal of the week for beating Adin Brown one-on-one after he received a long ball in an offsides position. The true travesty of it was that Damani Ralph shredded two defender, ran thirty yards, and scored a laser from twenty yards out the same week. That left a bitter taste in my mouth, and prompted me to hate the goal-of-the-week voting on MLSnet.

8. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Woly's goal was a stunner...

LD's a beautiful piece of teamwork and flash....

Woly's takes it becasue he may never hit a ball so purely again whereas LD will shred defenses for years to come....

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BIOYA! I prefer the team effort that went into Donovan's second goal.:p

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolyniec's was a stunning goal. High degree of difficulty, perfectly executed. A bit flukey? Heck yeah, but an unbelieveable strike, and a game winner. You cant fault anyone for voting for it really, it really is an unbelieveable goal.

Still, I think Donovan's goal assisted by DeRosario is my personal favorite, as its just incredibly beautiful soccer. And personally the flukey nature of Wolyniec's goal turns me off a bit, but I still respect it and the votes for it.

11. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was a homer and voted for Donovan's second. But that strike by Woly.... WOW!

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not sure if this makes me cool or not cool, but I have no idea what that means.

also, landon's was pretty but sometimes finishing second isn't too bad, either. golden boy will get 'em next time.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Donovan's second goal-- the deft touches, the number of players touching the ball and the quickness down the field made it worthy in my view. Corrales' move to get around that defender was just as impressive as Landon's final touch.

But regardless of whether the MetroStars' fans are stuffing the ballot box or not, that goal by Wolyniec won't be beat. Fantastic strike, great timing, and on the end of a well-timed run from Guevara's long ball forward delivered on a dime.

Any of Donovan's three goals would have garnered consideration, though. I think he'd rather have the hat-trick and the three points for the team, all things considered. :)

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone besides Blue Meanie who can tell Goodsie what that means? I guess he's just not old enough. :)