Goal of the Week: Clark and Mullan

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    So you suggest that any player who employs the offside trap rather then playing the ball is making the wrong play? There are plenty of teams whose entire (backline) defensive philosophy revolves around the offside trap. Such a system would be foolish in MLS, but there it is.

Evidently you didn't see the five or six posts above mine (from 3 different posters) which also state that the perspective of that particular still creates an optical illusion.

Just watch the video on goal of the week. If you don't think that play is offsides - you don't deserve the right to critique an offsides call against your side ever again. If you don't think this call is an embarrassment to the level of officiating in our league . . . you have no credibility.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Condemned!

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, now I get why you're being a horse's ass. You didn't bother to read the whole thread, or even carefully read the one post you're referring to.

You're forgiven, but be you should be careful about coming onto a thread you don't know about and disparaging people who basically agree with what you're saying.

Most of us only disagree (and are rationally discussing) on how far offside he actually was.

Now, seriously... when you look at the photo in post 52, you see that Mullan was more than half a step offside? Interesting. How far offside does he look to you? 10 yards? 20? He looks about a foot offside to me.

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he was first posting, he was comparing Mullan's position to Gbandi which has nothing to do with how far offside Mullan was since Gbandi wasn't the one the last man back other than goal keeper. He wasn't even the 2nd to the last man back. So, clearly he doesn't understand this particular law of the game.

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at least he has credibility. :D

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, if you don't believe him, ask him. ;)

7. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    No, I never said the offside trap was a wrong play, was that anywhere in my post, I wish you'd take the time to read what people say and not try to put words in their mouths (or posts). I said he should have played the whistle. He played the offside trap and the whistle did NOT blow, so he gave up, stopped chasing and put his hand in the air. Regardless of how bad the call was, this was just a dumb mistake since this player was still in the best position to break up Mullan's goal. For god's sake they teach this in U-10 recreational soccer, the ref's whistle is what stops play, and you do your job until you hear it.

And I agree with the other's you should try to read the thread before going off at the mouth in ignorance.