Goal of the Week: Clark and Mullan

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jul 5, 2005.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just voted for Mullan's goal, even though Clark's goal was prettier. :D

Oh man will the San Jose Earthquakes spank the expansion Houston MLS team when they come visit here in '06 or '07!

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Clark, but I love Mullan's goal. Too bad he has only 2% of the vote. It must be a good batch this week.

Do these guys get anything for winning? Other than accolades?

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    I bet it's just bragging rights.

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find the mistake in the above MLSnet poll snippet. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that Mullan was about a foot offside. If you freeze the replay at the precise point where the pass is made, you'll see. Then again, it's really hard to see the precise moment the pass is made.

But it was really close, and it happened at very high speed, so it would have been a very difficult call to make either way. Anyone who's b!tching about "3 yards" or "3 steps" is just being a homer. Or doesn't understand offside.

Totally understandable that they'd be peeved, but they were less screwed than we were against the Goats.

8. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Been hearing about Mullan's offside goal ever since Dallas fans saw it in person. My own experience is that I'm almost always wrong when I see an offside call in person that goes against the Quakes, so I didn't take their word for it.

The replay is clear: Mullan was offside, and it wasn't close. The assistant blew the call.

9. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Time for us to get a break.

10. crunky

crunky Member

Jul 2, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three of the five Goal of the Week candidates are from this game, which wasn't televised anywhere. I at least give them credit for making the nominations... but maybe that says something about the quality of goals in the televised games?

A matchup like this one should have been televised.

11. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would anyone vote for Enfield's goal? Is it pity because it will be his one and only for the year?

12. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea he's off.

So are we going to assume this is also the reason an eleven man Dallas team can't score on a ten man Quakes team?

13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have been posting that image everywhere. They need to let it go. It happens to every team atleast once a season.

14. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the nicest one of the bunch from a 'beautiful game' point of view. If Rico's didn't have that 'did it on his own' quality (and I wasn't a Gal's hater) it would have gotten my vote.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Brian's goal illustrates the idiosyncrasies of the offside rules. I'm assuming the original objective was to prevent offensive players from camping out near the goal. In practice, it prevents offensive players from streaking past their defenders in hopes of receiving a pass.

Brian was running next to a defender, and happened to be a few steps ahead of him at the moment the ball was passed. But there were a couple of other defenders in the midfield who could have been level with Mullan--it's not clear from the angle of the camera.

In any case, Brian did not make the shot at that point. Instead, he dribbled around, giving several defenders time to get between him and the goal, and were standing right in front of him when he made the shot. So even if the shot was technically offside--and having watched the video a half dozen times, I'm still not sure--it was not offside in spirit.

I rest my case (though I voted for the other goal because Rico pulled off a tour de force and deserves the recognition)

16. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, he was offsides (thanks for the freeze frame jefe--saved me the trouble :) ) but who cares. nobody has been jobbed as bad--on or off the field, as the Quakes have over the last 10 years. The karma wheel has finally turned somewhat despite all the sand in the gears... i think the worse part is the asst referee was even on that side of the field, but i cant be sure since i never even see him. where the hell was he?!?!

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We scored on a ten-man Quakes team.

Unfortunately, two minutes later, Rico Clark struck an absolute golazo that he probably couldn't duplicate if he had 100 tries.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "They"? Or "He"? Jefe isn't all of FCD Fandom.

19. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    C'mon, the argument "he couldn't duplicate it if he had 100 tries" wears a bit thin.....you just can't admit that he made a great goal. When Ruiz made the bicycle kick goal, did you say "oh, we shouldn't get credit for that because he couldn't duplicate that in 100 tries"?

Bottom line, the Quakes played evenly with Dallas for almost 2/3 of a game with 10 men. Yes, they bunkered down and played defense, that's what almost any team would do on the road, on 2 days rest, in 90+ degree heat, in a tie game. But Dallas could not score on a defense that was missing 2 of their 4 backline starters, 2 of their 4 midfielders, and their best forward. Deal with it.

20. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the close range blast he put into the cross bar last Wed against the 'Pids, I'll agree on that.

My point was the fact that Dallas has another 30+ min to go ahead...

21. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, my bad. He needs to let it go.

22. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a better question is if there was a TV crew there, why wasn't this game at least broadcast on mlsnet.com? i thought heard jefe or drumrboy say this is like the fifth game in a row for dallas NOT televised... I make a motion to stop playing them if that's the case!

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a great goal. The fact that it was extremely improbable only highlights its greatness.

There was a similar discussion on the Metros board in 2003 when Wolyniec hit his volley of a 50-yard desperation pass from Amado Guevara past Columbus keeper Jon Busch for an overtime winner. On the MSG broadcast, Metros color man Shep Messing exclaimed, "He couldn't hit that again if he had a hundred tries," and some Metros fans seized on it as evidence that Messing hated Wolyniec or the Metros or some such, neglecting the fact that it was surrounded by Messing's gushing about what a super goal it was.

So don't get all defensive just because I correctly point out that it was very improbable. I did call it a golazo, you know.
    Have you seen the lineup that we ran out there? I think that that lineup was calling itself the FC Dallas reserves at the beginning of the season.

Whatever. I dealt with it. A team gets the good fortune of a pretty bad offside goal AND an absolute stunner of a goal. That's a lot of good fortune for one night and they still only walked away with a draw. I can live with that.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone keep voting for that Brian Mullan goal!

Though I'll be fine with Ricardo Clark's goal winning it as well. Heck, both players will be scoring more "Goal of the Week" candidates for the San Jose Earthquakes for years to come anyway.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

25. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 noms.. this is so amazing i dont know what to do with myself!