GM candidates

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Oct 4, 2012.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't know much about the guy, but I thought I'd toss it out there for opinions: Should Jon Kraft give Erik Soler a call? I take it that he has his share of detractors, yet others seem to feel his replacement is unwarranted. Still, seems like he's someone who has the contacts/connections and the talent evaluation experience to bring a lot more expertise to international player acquisition - and now has MLS knowledge/experience.

If nothing else, he'd be a step in "professionalizing" that function with the Revs.

2. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    and you should have ended there

RevsFanDan repped this.
  3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Supposedly he's remaining with RBNY in an advisory type role, so I'm not sure if he's really looking for a job. He'd obviously be a major upgrade over Burns, but why would he want to come to the Revs? To work for an owner who doesn't care and isn't willing to spend the money to put a competitive team on the field?

4. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's one thing to judge a player or a coach. We can tangibly see what they do on the field and with results. You can tell which coaches tactics are not working, or clamor for a certain style of manager. You can wish to have a certain type of player. But even in those cases, where tangible evidence for fans is abundant, we are often wrong.

Now, we are expected to suggest a GM? A job that you can only really judge in hindsight. You can only truly understand the success/failure after a GM has done is job in any specific situation. None of us know the qualities it truly takes to be a GM, we can only know when one has done a good or bad job by the results they have for your team. Since we have no idea how they would do in any other situation, nor do we know the actual inner workings of actually being a GM, suggesting potential GM's has got to be the most useless exercise a fan can do. We have no idea who would be good at any potential GM or FO position.

We know Burns sucks, because the team has steadily gone backwards since he has been elevated over the years. There is a correlation to bad results. However, we have no idea how a guy who was just relieved of his duties in New York, a team with vastly more available resources, would fair in a situation like this. The two situations are only similar in sport, but that is where the comparisons end.

Yes, Burns out....but I have no idea who is in. Nor would I ever pretend to know who would do a good job here, because it is as futile as trying to understand the complexities of the universe.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kraft-Dehors, no need to be so harsh on the topic point, it's a legit discussion point. At the same time, you're right that it is pretty hard to make any kind of meaningful comparison.

As it often seems with this team, "anything" is better than whatever we have. The homeless guy who sleeps on Boston Common isn't going to demad that his dinner of pheasant under glass must be free-range, cruelty-free, organic pheasant. For the Revs, surely this guy would be a step above Burns, for no other reason that he has worked in an organization that takes things seriously, the fact that he knows people in high positions with other clubs, the fact that he has a larger context of the job and how one might go about fixing things (i.e., he wouldn't have had the Moreno episode that defines Burns' tenure), and a bunch of other things. These are reasonable assumptions that we can make.

OTOH, what is his personality like, how well can he work with little or no budget compared to RB, how persuasive can he be when it comes to convincing others in the organization (especially those above) that they should implement his ideas? No one, other than a RB insider has a clue.

The bottom line is that Soler, or Peter Wilt, or any other name out there who has had at least some success in a similar role with another club is not likely to be hired. As long as a coach in a totally different sport can be the deciding factor in getting a job for a first-timer with no experience whatsoever, things are never going to change.

Bob Kraft is like Chairman Mao during the Cultural Revolution of 1968: Ideology trumps competence every single time. Mao's minister of agriculture grew up in the city and had never seen a cow in his life until he was appointed to the job. But he could recite the quotations of the "Little Red Book" backwards, forwards and sideways, so that was enough for the job. Sound familiar?

Kraft Out, RevsFanDan and Jon Martin repped this.
  6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree with all the points you make after the first paragraph. I didn't even consider the point that Kraft philosophically won't pick anyone that we come up with anyways.

BUT, I can't see how this is a legit discussion point. Sure, for a message board it is great mental masterbation. Heck, I'll even join in on the discussion just because work is a effing bore this week, and there is not point in discussing the rest of this putrid season. However, I guess my rant stems from the OP's post in another thread where he scolded someone for suggesting Burns be fired, and told them they they should suggest someone to replace Burns. Which, on it's face, is laughable egomaniac bullshit. Maybe I should have referenced the genesis of his thought when it came to this nonsense, but, well, there you go...

7. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once the REVS, "GULP" give fans the right to vote, etc...We can suggest Mickey Mouse..it won't make a difference.

I know I truly harp on this a lot..but, IMO, Clubs should not be "owned" by some Billionaire Despot! It goes against everything that a "CLUB" embodies.

That being said...keep the discussion moving, let's see if Sepp Blatter, once he's out of FIFA..Maybe he'll like a job working for Kraft? I mean, Sunil embraced it! LOL

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we want someone with experience, and the Kraft's only hire former Revs employees, the obvious choice for the job is Alexi Lalas!
    <ducks>

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He was just a reference, nothing more. A pretty good reference too, but "deciding factor"? Nah.
    Nice, but that's not what I said at all.

I suggested that instead of the demand being "fire Burns", it should be "hire a qualified/experienced GM" - because firing doesn't accomplish anything, hiring the right person does.

But, it is pretty funny listening to you talk about egomania.
    Not out of the realm of possibility ...

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I actually wouldn't hate it. At this point, there's only so much a GM can do with the limited budget that Kraft is providing. At least Lalas would be a good media presence in the market. He's a name that people know, he's extremely outgoing and personable, and can hold his own with the idiots on WEEI or the Sports Hub. He'd be a great marketing tool for this team. It also doesn't hurt that he has a history with the franchise.

Kraft Out, ToMhIlL and Chowda repped this.
  11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree with this completely.

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Once again, like with any decent candidate for the job, why would he want to work for the Revs? I dont' think he's itching to get back into GMing a team after the debacles with the SuperClubs in LA and NY. I'm also assuming that he's pretty content being ESPN's number one studio presence for all soccer related events. I could be wrong, but I don't really see why Lalas would want the job.

Kraft Out repped this.
  13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know if Coach K will put in a good word for him?

Kraft Out and Crooked repped this.
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bazinga!

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All true, but Lalas' role at the other clubs was not really what a "real" GM should be doing, and I honestly don't see him being a huge step-up from Burns. What he could do, and would be absolutely fantastic at is being the "face" of the Revs. He's witty, articulate, and has an engaging personality that he would be the perfect spokesman for the club. Sonny Kraft wouldn't have to bother with the difficult interview questions from one of his "media partners" and go with his fall-back mantra that "a lot of kids are playing soccer these days."

Lalas would be perfect for this role. Or Ray Hudson.

Brian in Boston repped this.
  16. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, if you're gonna go the "former-Rev who's now a TV personality that could be good, but who might also be a train wreck" route, I'd rather see Eric Wynalda.

17. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A pretty good reference? Sure, if you are applying to business school.

That is exactly what you just said. In almost the exact same words. You are suggesting that asking for Burns is not productive, but suggesting a replacement is.

Suggesting a replacement, for a position we literally know nothing of how to operate beyond the results we see at the end, is far more counterproductive than suggesting a GM be fired for failing at his job for a number of years.

Also, you ask for someone "qualified" or with "experience". Honestly, within the context of MLS, what does experience even mean? Hanauer, Klopas, Kinnear, Largerway, Vermes, Doyle didn't have any prior MLS FO experience when hired as GM/TD. What does experience even mean? If it's a previously fired GM, then why should we clamor for someone who has also failed in a previous job? If it is someone who happened to play in the league, well that is thousands of players of the league, and how exactly does that make someone better than someone from outside the league?

Of course we want someone who is qualified. Wouldn't that be the hope for any position on the team? But how would we ever possibly know who is qualified? We literally have no idea who is qualified. Which is why this entire exercise is nothing more than fan messageboard sillyness. Which, by the way, I'm totally for. However, in the boycott thread, you told someone that it was counterproductive to suggest Burns be fired, but instead suggest a replacement. That is the opposite of reality.

pwykes repped this.
  18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Now see this I could probably get behind, because at least we can understand the tangible effect Lalas would have on the team. Sure, none of what I/we want from him would reflect onto what actually happens on the field, but at the very least he would make sure this team was more visible than it already is.

It could be a complete and utter hilarious failure of a shitshow....but I'm pretty sure it would increase their brand presence in the area.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  19. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To quote another poster, "A pretty good reference too"

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This response is the same we saw for when people started to call for Nicol to be fired. "C'mon, you want Nicol fired, so who do you want as the coach?"

Instead we waited too long, had little talent left on the team and made a dumb hire.

Now, we're hearing the same thing from the same people. And at the end of the day, we'll either keep Burns or bring in someone else for a position that requires experience and fore-thought.

And nothing will change. Because apparently it's our job to come up with ALL the solutions for this team. Who's going to be the replacement coach? Who's the other owner you'd like? How do you suggest the team market? How .... who ...

And in the meantime, the Revs brand continues to diminish. Glad we have our priorities in regards to this team straight... don't fix or correct mistakes, give it more time, fans find the solution ... or just stop complaining! If we all stopped complaining next year, the Revs will win MLS Cup!

RevsFanDan repped this.
  21. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's all this talk about "limited budget"? We've signed 3 DPs in the last 16 months and at the end of this year the Revs were "right up against the cap". Right?

ToMhIlL repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Bob Kraft, in a rare acknowledgement that he is even aware of the Revolution, said this himself at the time Heaps was hired. I don't recall the exact words, but it was basically that.

A reference is anyone who knows your work and can vouch for you int he context of the job you are applying for. We have all used various people in our past for this whenever we have changed jobs, so Heaps would be no different. What is curious is that there is no commentary from within the soccer community on Heaps as a manager. The guy played in the league for 10 years and obviously a lot of people know him. Maybe they hated him as an opposing player, but respected his firey competitiveness? The kind of guy you want working for you, but you hate him when he's against you? If anyone has those kinds of views, you'd think comments would have come out somewhere down the line. Either that, or everyone was scratching their heads saying "huh?" but weren't going to comment publicly on that.

Kraft Out repped this.
  23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    My only reason for starting this thread was to discuss specific names and to hear what ideas other people had. I understand that you'd rather trash the post (and the poster) rather than make some contribution - it's your standard m.o.

I have no illusions of influencing the Revs in this or any thread.

24. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Alexi actually enjoys the whole spokesperson thing. That would be a legitimate reason to take the job.

25. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought he was quite the assclown running things in NJ and LA. But if he came here, he would be our assclown.