Gm #30 Chicago at Columbus During & Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Bethany, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say about this game is I hope Thornton stays healthy.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus H. Christ on a Dude Ranch!

Zach: 6 Saves
    Shiteri: 6 Goals allowed.

A fine 45 minutes work from both.

3. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Re: Bolanos!

This is the birth of Selolwanos.

4. pants on fire

pants on fire New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    IL
    Just 2 quick questions.
    1.Was that Greg Sutton's evil twin in the second half?
    2.Who ran out faster to shake Spitieri's hand, Zach or his agent?

5. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    No one's said anything yet, but I have to believe we broke an MLS record today. Can't believe any team has given up 6 in one half. That one could stand for a long, long time.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curtis Spiteri: We hardly knew ya...and what we do know of you, we would rather forget.

7. giaguara

giaguara New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Cork
    Sad to see Fire lost ... but I hope that made everyone remember and see how great Thornton really is. :)

8. giaguara

giaguara New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Cork
    ... and at least Fire fans don't need those ridiculous Stomp You Feet signs! ;)

9. Easport6

Easport6 New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Ohio
    What's really scary for you guys is, after the rest of MLS seeing that one would have to think they are going to send a crappy player out to purposly take Thorton out in the playoffs cause a red won't matter to much with your great backup goalie in.

Well I know the Metros would be dirty enough to do it, heck maybe even DC. Better watch out Thorton.

10. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    At least Dipsy scored.

Spitieri can only improve ; )

11. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    With the Capano for Marsch sub, we fielded a team with only two players having more than two full years of MLS experience. I think that even beats Bradley's effort on Saturday, which was much more risky given that they were facing their first-round opponent. If you're going to read anything into this result at all, put down the crack pipe. Yeah, Spitieri isn't that good. This is somehow a surprise? How many MLS-quality keepers are available in the last two or three weeks of the season, exactly? I don't see it as some scathing indictment of our overall treatment of backup keepers, either (sorry, Blink).

This doesn't even hurt momentum into the playoffs, as the guys who are actually going to play next week are going to want to play that much harder to wash off the stink of the second half.

That said, I'm glad I decided to skip the road trip.

Later,
    COZ

12. NCFire

NCFire Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    OK, so it was bad enough that it stopped being bad and started being really, really funny.

A few good things come out of the match:

1. The Fire have put out several other awful, inexplicable performances this year (1 against Dallas, 1 against New England...). After each, they've come back stronger as a team.

2. Spitieri's been blooded now. Didn't Ring give up 4 to Columbus in his debut (granted it took him 90 minutes)? Hamlett and the other coaches now have some things to work on in practice that you can only learn about your GK in a real game.

3. A bunch of guys who have been working hard all year in practice got to stretch their legs and a few made a decent case for more minutes. Anyone else notice how many headers Futagaki won? He's clearly been working on that since that DC game where he kept getting abused.

4. The core of the team got a good few weeks to heal and prepare for the playoffs.

13. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Yes, I suppose every hurricane has its silver lining. But my god, there were three relatively solid defenders in front of Shiteri, and not one of them even considered doing their job in the 2nd half.

Well, let's go redeem ourselves at RFK next week.

14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Not sure off hand, but it's either your guy or a guy named Russel Payne, who played less than a half for the Metros a couple years back and gave up a few.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that Futagaki tripped Paule(or Maisonneuve) after he played the ball to Bolanos, thus preventing the Crew player from interfering with the shot attempt (block or simply close space).

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would say that both Foxboro matches qualify as stinkers. We "only" loss 3-0 on May 17th, but it could've been a lot worse if Wolde Harris could finish.

Of course, I'm biased on that first match, because my wife and I dropped about $100 at the stadium, plus a hotel and restaurants, to see that one. Worst anniversary present we ever gave ourselves.

Glad I had to work yesterday, otherwise we were going to drive to Columbus.

17. Mark Gillespie

Mark Gillespie New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Not to excuse the goalkeeping but:

TOTAL SHOTS: 29 (Edson Buddle 8, Brian McBride 8);
    SHOTS ON GOAL: 16 (Brian McBride 5);

Getting through our midfield and defense was only slightly harder than gettng past the goalie

A team of veterans is more than the sum of its individuals, a group of rookies is less.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    There's something you'll never hear again. Save it for your scrapbooks.

19. Jeremy Goodwin

Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I saw, Jimmy was getting quite frustrated with the GK and the rest of the defense.

The prime example of this was the play where he cleared the ball out over the endline. Seemed like a good idea given that he apparently didn't trust anyone else in the defensive half of the field, but then we gave up a goal on the resulting corner.

20. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    You read my head. Where's Super Snitko?

21. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Actually I'm pretty sure Spiteri was waived about the 85th minute.

22. Please don't insult stupid retards. It's not nice.

23. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    It didn't look like JB or the Dip were ready to go 90 min yet but for the half hour or 45 min they were 100% they looked pretty damn dangerous. JB was kind of walking around and not doing a whole lot at points but at other points he looked really focused. That goal that was called back that JB hit was a beautiful strike. I liked seeing Futagaki play and I think he did fairly well. For our first half B team they held their own and looked dangerous. The second half C team looked like they were ready for a visit to our nation's capotiol. Spiterri looked truly awful regardless of much effort or lack there of that the defense was putting in. I was never really a huge Ring fan but I would rather him be Thornton's backup 100 times over before seeing Curtin again.

Overall for a side that really hasn't played together that much I think the first half they did a great job. And that's what this game was really for, get some non-starters some playing time and see what they are capable of so we know if we can call on them or not.

24. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Curtin?
    Quiet. He's on a roll.

25. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Okay okay...Curtis. If you were on that bus you would be prone to some spelling errors too.