Gm #30 Chicago at Columbus During & Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Bethany, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was the player of the game? Spiteri? The crew couldn't have done it without him.

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    does Henry Ring not play for Chicago anymore?

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's injured. Unfortunately, no one told his replacement that goal keepers Do get to use their hands.

4. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Apparently Jason Alexander wasn't in the stands eating pretzels either.

5. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, your backup sucks!

12.00 GAA, i think thats a record. Where did you find this guy?

Well at least the game didn't matter, but i don't think thats how you wanted to enter the playoffs by losing 6-2.

Anyway, good luck against DC, i hope you beat the *#*#*#*# out of them.

7. Spiteri is from the A League. He's also in the US U-23 goalkeeping pool (after today, the deep end).

8. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Revolution.

9. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad for our Traeger though... 13 min of MLS action... 2 assists!

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.
    Chicago Fire: 2 goals
    Columbus Crew: 3 goals
    Curtis Spiteri: 3 goals

Glad to hear Waldo telling it like it is: "Yea, that's another one that should have been saved."

There should be a new rule instituted in MLS that says if you let in more than 5 goals in your first appearence then you should be let go at the final whistle.

I have a friend who has torn both ACLs and I swear he could have put up a better show than Spiteri...with the torn ACLs. Spiteri spent more time on the ground than the Crew groundskeeper.

Just out of curiosity, what goalkeeper has the highest GAA in the history of the league?

11. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I recall, the Fire has had two decent backup goalkeepers since its inception.

1. Zach Thornton... supposed backup to Jorge Compost.

2. Chris Snitko... came through for us on several occasions. I think he was too good to be a backup.

I haven't had a lot of confidence in Zach this season, to be honest... I thought he's looked slow and bulky... but the defense seems to have confidence in no one but him. While Zach was racking up the matches necessary to get the games played record... all of our backup keepers were floundering, never getting decent playing time.

It's great to have confidence in your keeper... but, while Spiteri sucked major donkey nuts and had horrible, horrible decision making skills and hands almost as bad, the defense certainly did him no favors.

Next season, we need to sacrifice a game or three, if necessary, just to make sure our backups work.

Nice experiment tonight, Dave. The opponents can now adjust their plans to include taking out our keeper. They know we're utterly helpless without him.

It makes me wonder, though... looking at Spiteri's record, when we first signed him, it seemed pretty obvious to me that he was a pretty poor keeper in the A-League... almost 2 goals a game GAA and only three wins on the season (if I remember correctly)... there must have been someone better out there.

12. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here, Curtis Spiteri is again kicked while he is down.
    [​IMG]

13. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CLB -89th Minute. Shot by 20-Brian McBride, 8th of match. Result: Deflection

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a kid from my u-10 AYSO team that's looking to go pro.

Henry Ring, MOTM?!

15. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think we took what we could get at the time with the money we had. It's not the 3 wins, but the 7 losses with Portland that I was worried about. But then he was off to Germany for a trial.

Is Cannon still available?

16. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That can't be right, Spiteri didn't deflect anything this game...

17. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should have a car waiting outside crew stadium to drive spiteri back to portland.

18. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I was looking to vote for Spiteri, but he wasn't listed.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Curtis Spiteri entrance music: I Fought the Ball and the Ball Won [To the tune of the Clash's classic]

20. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that's a little unfair, but not much. Futagaki dropped back into defence when we finally realized that they were playing 3 forwards. Took a bit too long for the team to react to the new shape of the Crew, and with that new shape, they suddenly didn't need their midfield that much. Pause didn't play very well, and did Capano ever touch the ball, or even run into a useful place? Makes you realize what Jesse Marsh does for you.

Jaqua isn't a right midfielder, so he should have started up top with Dipsy and let Bolanos play midfield, because he clearly wanted to. Bolanos move to left mid was not too bad, but he had no support inside. They were pouring down the centre, though, and neither Capano or Pause could do anything, and Curtin and Gray were swamped, and Spiteri, well, there's not much to say there, but at least half of those could have been saved.

C. J. Brown had a bad game, too. It will be great to see the real squad out next weekend, as this got a bit depressing near the end. You have to remember, of course, that none of these guys are really 90-minutes fit anyway, so it's no surprise they dominated as the game went on.

I thought we'd do better than the Metros reserves, but I guess not...

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, with nothing at all at stake, and against a goalkeeper who's slated to be the US's back-up at next year's olympics (the SPECIAL olympics, that is), he's awesome. Where was he for most of the other 29 matches the Crew had?

I'm sure McBreak's class will show when he starts cleaning out his garage tomorrow.

22. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA
    yeah, spiteri sucks, but you're forgetting alot more problems in the second half then just him.

having both bolanos and williams walking around in the center mid didn't really help. capano looked good the two times he got the ball, but that was it. how old is he now? 17?

i think this game showed just how much Armas does for the team. he can't lead an offense like Peter did, but we're definitly a much different team without Chris. i don't think our new captain gets as much credit as he should.

the only 'new' player who looked good today was selolwane. he might end up working out ok if it comes down to it, but i'd still put jaqua up front first.

but hey, now we see why spiteri hasn't played before today, and why williams has been sitting the bench lately.

23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Bolanos looked good for the first half. It was already known that he wasn't "90 minute fit" coming into this game. I think he'll make a great second half sub in the playoffs, should he be needed.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I can say about that one is:

AT LEAST IT DIDN'T REALLY MATTER.

25. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There were definitely a few times when Bolanos played great balls that no-one was ready for, which is a shame. Bolanos worked hard tracking back for a lot of the match, and on the left in the second half as well. It was in the middle where we couldn't get the ball, and we all know who we have in that position, so I'm not so worried.

Anyone know why Bolanos goal didn't count? Futo playing on the ground, maybe? I didn't see anything wrong, and that was a sweet shot. He's got class, definitely--very composed. But having both him and Andy Williams--even though Andy was working quite hard until he got moved up to forward--was a bit too much playmaking without enough target. Jaqua was wasted on the right with the balls these guys could have fed in, and Dipsy suffered from not having a real partner (hence why they could take our Mark "Yellow-card" Williams).

The first goal, though, where Cunningham dribble all three of our defenders (Brown, Gray and then Curtin), was a bit disturbing.