Gm #27: Los Angeles at Chicago During and Post

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Bethany, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not someone was Dipsy or Damani, I spoke to PW during the match. He said that Damani was available as a sub if we needed him in an emergency.

2. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Hmm. Maybe it was, I didn't really look other than to hear what Bretos was saying.

He was there, though.

3. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I thought his runs and his positioning were very good, but his touch was awful, both trapping and passing. The header at the end of the first half was nice, though. That said, he's still pretty green, so I'm not saying he sucks and should be benched or anything.

What's weird is that we started this year with DMB in that position, and couldn't get anything going. Then he moved over to the left wing and played great. Now he's stagnated a bit on the left, and moves back in to the middle and gets good results. I think it's just the change of scenery that he may need every once in a while.

And good GOD, we couldn't hit the side of a barn in the first half. Good job being patient and waiting for the goals to come, though.

Later,
    COZ

4. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Not so fast, my friend! :D We've had the Quakes' number at Spartan this season, so who knows. Also, thanks for keeping LA stuck in 4th, and I'm happy to see Marsch get a nice goal. Red card on Weds or not, he got clobbered.

5. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Ralph was held out because all the knocks he took at Colorado on Wednesday. He and Williams will be back in time for the Open Cup final.

Bill Q.
    www.thefirealarm.com

6. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    "Bethany is WRONG"

Damani was at the game and available to play. He was held out on purpose. I thought Peter said that it was from the head injury during the Colorodo game but I was drinking "coke" at the time and may not have heard correctly. Anyway, Damani was there and I very briefly talked to him after the game (me: "Damani", Damani "Hey what's up" end of conversation).

This game reminded me of the Open Cup game in many ways. The Fire controlled the whole game but couldn't put anything away in the first half. Second half they busted through. Only real difference is it didn't get as ugly and the Fire didn't let up any quick cheap goals.

I disagree with Coz' assesment of Jaqua. I thought he played quite well, held the ball pretty well and made very good runs. His passing was a little shotty. He wasn't that far off the mark on a couple of shots and he is very good in the air. In my opinion he outplayed Ante, so that says something.

7. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Hey, I'm just going off what I heard off of KCAL. My mistake. :D

8. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Blasphemy!

She's not wrong, she's just relying on bad sources. Geez, give her a break... she's probably drunk on the smog in LA.

9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

OK, did anyone else think that Bolanos was s-l-o-w. I can understand why he hadn't started a game yet due to fitness. Granted, it was his first game and all, but still, for someone played up by some as the second-coming of Peter I was disappointed at his speed.

Then again, it may have been his concern at not making a mistake in his first game. Hope he's faster than he showed Saturday.

10. Zack was in top form Saturday, as was Jimmy. That's what won the game. As for Bolanos...those gloves have to go. I know its colder here than in Costa Rica, but c'mon. I was happy to see Perez not get the ball very much. And hi-fives for Damarcus and Jesse. Nice of Dave to come say hi to S8 too.

Also:
    Marcin is not an uncle fcuker, but after three beers, watch out for your sewer grate. And don't go in the meteor hole, there's a dead dog in it.

11. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I thought Jaqua played very very well. He won just about every header off Zach's goalkicks, but we had very few runners onto it. His touches in the first 20-25 minutes were poor, but after he settled in he controlled and pass competently. His header almost beat Hartman and had another outside-of-the-foot shot in 1st half from inside the 18 that swerved wide, but I felt was well taken (Razov would have skied the bar on it for sure).

I think Jaqua would start for almost any other team in MLS, except C-Bus.

Was that a 4-3-3 we were playing? Whatever you call it, Beas was floating everywhere and invested more energy than in the last month.

Good game and got to shake Alan Hopkins (FSW) hand:

Me: Alan Hopkins, hi. Welcome to Naperville.
    Hopkins: You going to let us get back to LA with a win?
    Me: Not a chance.
    Hopkins: C'mon.
    Me: Go back to doing Bundesliga games.

Fun in Naperville.

Last comment - was the Naperville mayor high on life or what during the halftime? I thought he was going to start singing Karaoke-style.

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    As well as buried treasure: the ChiPS DVD box set with a autographed Erik Estrada glossy.

"Here is new old song, is very good: Some time I feel, I have got to BEEP BEEP"

13. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Pradel is always like that. Even at the VFW event this past year that was in support of our troops/9-11 related (I don't remember 100%) he was bouncing off the walls. Before being elected as Mayor he was a Naperville cop and was in charge of Saftey Town which teaches kids about road saftey. His name was Officer Friendly. Ever since moving here in '91 I don't remember him acting any differently.

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    So basically what you are saying is he is on drugs?

15. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
  16. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would not surprise me to see Evan get a game suspension for this elbow to Broome.

He is suspened Friday for caution points accumulation. If he gets another game, he'll miss 2 of the last 3.

17. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Jeez, I *said* I'm not entirely down on Jaqua here, just that his passing, particularly in the first half, was kinda horrible.

Also, I know that in baseball, cold weather means the ball doesn't hang in the air as long, but can we use that excuse for our crossing? There were exceptions, of course, but I don't recall too many above the knee.

Wow, I'm sounding excessively critical after a very good win. I'm happy, honest. And to piggyback on monop_poly's Allen Hopkins story, Max Bretos actually recognized me from my goofy picture on the Fire's website, and claims to read my stuff.

Speaking of that, I'll post the pieces I wrote for that insert they were handing out at the stadium on my site sometime this week.

Later,
    COZ

18. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I woulda bet whiskey.

Or bourbon.

19. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    he's also particularly creepy in those city of naperville commercials promoting the giraffes last year i think it was....in that safari outfit ::shudder::

20. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reminds me of Elmer Fudd

21. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ...that'd get us 6 of the points we need for the SS.

(sorry, Coz.)

m

22. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Hey that's okay. You came around on Jesse. You'll come around on Evan. :)

Later,
    COZ

23. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Anyway, how did it go from a 'Goodbye to Naperville' standpoint? What did you all do after the whistle?

24. We drove home to Chicago. The kids fell asleep in the truck.

25. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe everyone started chanting "Soldier Field" and then Marsch jumped in the stands.