Gm #21: Dallas v Chicago - 10 August, 3:00 PM CDT [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by GoHawks4, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: wow

Actually, a lot of NHL players do not like the two referee system because you have more 'weaker" officials, and generally two sets of interpretations about what is and isn't a penalty depending on who is in what position at what time.

2. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

-burning247, seriously, stop trolling. You suck at it. Stick to the Burn boards buddy
    -Props to the Fire fans for a good turn out. MLS needs more fans like yall
    -No props to those (see Thomas Flannagin) who think the ref deliberately headed the ball over the goal. I don't think Galaxy fans dream up that kind of ************

RE: The refereeing. Does MLS have some sort of referee performance review like they do in the EPL? If not maybe its time to start something like it.

3. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Absolutamente. You heard it here first.

Actually, we were going to have that as a promotion, but management felt that the stadium wouldn't be large enough to hold all those who wanted to partake.

Unless the weather is absolutely atrocious, the number will probably be close to 14k (stadium "capacity" is 14106).

There is no special promotion. It is one of the two "trade-in your unused tickets" nights, and I think they are giving the locals a couple bucks off, just as they did with the previous trade-in night (also a Wednesday), but that's it.

Hurts you to see so many fans who want to come out and watch their team in the middle of nowhere in a crappy plastic pitched stadium that doesn't even serve beer, doesn't it? Too bad you'all don't have fans like that in Big D.

BTW, I didn't hear you take up the offer.

4. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    According to my Fire ticket rep, almost the only seats left are in Section 8. We might have a sell-out. I'm guessing all the families want to get in a couple last games before junior starts school. Also, the weather is supposed to be gorgeous.

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they gave all the naperville neighbors 4 free tickets as a pay off not to protest the fire playing there.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you miss the part about how it had been raining all day in Dallas?

Do you want me to post what the attendances in Nappyville have been when it has rained this season?

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, feuerfex, there's a reason why I didn't accept your bet. I know a sucker bet when I see one.

I'm just disappointed that I didn't think of "papering the house" when I was speculating why Chicago might put up a nice number on Wednesday night.

8. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: wow

You said it!

9. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

seriously, dude...what do you really think MLS has to gain by rigging chicago fire games?

10. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One final Kudos to all the Fire fans who came down to the game. You guys sure did make it more exciting. It was very funny to see the looks on some of the fans faces trying to figure out if this noisy little group was really cheering against the home team. You got the players attention as well as evidenced by Kries's reaction. I hope you can come down again next year (as long as we win that is).

And as much as I would like to return the favor and try to add a little drama to the Chicago leg of this series, I would also like to see a Chi/Col game in Crew stadium. With the proximity and thus higher number of traveling supporters, you must give those poor guys hell in their own stadium!

11. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Popularly referred to as "Soldier Field East" around here.

12. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    As always, an amusing read. We got back from Dallas at 2 this morning. I slept the morning away and then had to run a couple of soccer practices. I am really beat but thought I would add my take to the *ahem* discussion.
    First, the family and I had a great time in Dallas. It is amazing how friendly the people are down there. Even at the game the Dallas fans were really nice and polite (must not have seen this Burning247 character there).

As for the noise thing. I was one of the 15 or so Fire fans making the noise and I can attest that we were pretty damn loud. I was surprised at how loud such a small group could sound. There were a few fire fans on the other side and they came over at halftime and told us to keep it up because we were loud and clear all over the place. The problem with the Dallas fans (besides the lack of them: there were less then 2000 counting the kids on the field at kickoff. Maybe by the end of the game there may have been 8 thousand or more but it really looked dead there) is their drums drown them out too easily. They have a LOT of drums. I basically couldn't understand most of their singing though. My advice to them is to ditch some of the drums and concentrate on vocal support some more. I am not dissing them. It's just that the chants don't come through the drums at all. Whether that is lack of coordination, voice output, etc I don't know. Maybe the drums are just too loud. Anyway, the stupid "sucks" thing was lame to the point of amusement. I don't think the actual inferno's were doing that (where they?) I think it was a different group of fans trying to ride the Fire fans wave. It was fun to see Seagroves in person. He is very entertaining live as well. Kreis swearing back at Hala was absolutely priceless. I am not big on swearing loudly and proudly in public but that moment was worth every four letter word in the book. Of course, he did score the gamewinner which really sucked.

As for the actual game- Wolff and Razov stunk the joint up. They really didn't do anything. The Wolff sitter was just that a sitter. It is an inexcusable miss, end of story. I don't remember anything positive from Razove. Dema mostly struggled again. He didn't provide much in the midfield and that's really where we struggled the most. Beasley played well in spurts. The play vs Vaca (I like Vaca as much as a Fire fan can like a Burn player) was great. Beasley won the battle but Vaca won the war, I guess. Walsh actually played his best game yet in my opinion. There weren't many scoring oppurtunities in the first half when Walsh was in the game and he actually held possession and made a couple of good passes. Not a great game by most peoples measure but by Walsh's measure I thought he played well. Marsch was basically non-existant. CJ not being there hurt a lot. Boca played a great game and really Curtain was quite solid. Vaudrille was atrocious though. Absolutely the worst on the pitch for the Fire on this day. Perez didn't play too well either. Hopefully, it was only a one game dissapearing act for him as I thought he played very well in the previous two games. Basically, I thought the Fire really did outplay the Burn in the first half. Their first goal came after a bad no call on the tackle on Beasley and then a lucky deflection. In the Second half the Burn really took it to the Fire for the first 15 or 20 though. Lot's of good opportunities. We were lucky to keep them at 1-0 through that period. Then Stoichkov's goal. A world class strike dispite possibilities of bad wall possitioning or whatever. In the end our midfield just broke down completely though and we got beat ugly with the second and third goals. Not a happy day for a Fire fan (especially one that had to drive 16 hours the next day).. Again the Burn fans were very polite and nice after the game. I don't know if that would have been the same in our house. So I salute them for that. They wished us well and even invited us to their post game tail-gate parties (I had to decline. Can't quite get myself to hang out with the enemy though I can respect them a little). I'm glad we made the trip and I was proud of our little group in the corner down there. Hopefully Wednesday we can right the ship.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I'm suprised it was even referred to as rain. It was more of a fine mist. We've had some real freaking rain up here, I'll tell you what.

- Thomas, your support is appreciated, I'm sure just like everyone else's...but damn, maybe you shouldn't be hitting the bong so hard before dialing up your internet connection....

14. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks Liam, that was really classy. I suggested the ref was in terrible position, or he headed the ball deliberately. Only he knows for sure. Lots of people are criticizing MLS refs
    For that you insult me. Class, real class.

15. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

You guys came through loud and clear on TV and I was shocked that no mention of you was made by JacknTy.

An astute observation. When they started drumming, that's all you heard on TV. Except when they stopped drumming, and then we heard the Fire Fans.

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    You suggested the game was fixed, Tom.

Lose the conspiracy theory angle, it's getting old from you.

17. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    OK Kebzach. If you can't criticize the refs in a nationally televised sports match, I won't post here. Over in the Burn forum there are a lot of people angry about the ref, and they are Dallas fans. Dissent is not a popular activity in these parts. Anybody who disagrees with the Mods is a "conspiracy theorist".
    By the way, I would like to congratulate you on your very classy treatment of the Mexicans in the Mexico forum following the U.S.-Mexico game that I attended June 17, 2002. I imagine you are very proud of that interlude.

18. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Saying "the ref sucked because he missed fouls, got calls wrong and was inconsistent" is legitimate criticism of the performance of the ref. Saying "the ref threw the game" is a completely different matter unless you have at least some circumstantial evidence of wrongdoing.

In this case, there is no motive I can think up as to why St. Silva or MLS would have gained from fixing the match. In fact, St. Silva has proven himself so incompetent that I bet if he wanted to fix the match in favor of the Burn, the Fire would have won 4-0!

Unless you have some info that St. Silva had placed bets on the game or that the league somehow benefits from the Burn winning this match, please drop the conspiracy stuff. St. Silva is certainly deserving of criticism but his sin is incompetence, not corruption.

19. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Disagree all you want. For my .02 though, you could get off the "MLS/The World Cup/Life in General is a Fix" campaign that you always seem to find your way to.

Extremely proud. Proud enough to start a thread that apologizing for my remarks.

I still think all the Mexican players are hacks. That will never change. But I didn't need to go in there and run my mouth about that and other things.

Now that we've got that settled, let's get back to Fire discussion in here.

20. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    You are entitled to make vile, racist statements about Mexicans all you want. I don't agree with you but this is supposed to be a free country.
    But not with these Mods you don't. I criticize the ref and Liam accuses me of using illegal drugs. That is an extremely serious false allegation against someone he has never met, although I did do what I could to help him when he was trying to visit Boston to attend a Fire game.
    Kebzach and Liam are doing a great job of insulting people and driving away fans who want to support the Fire. You just don't disagree with a Mod here do you? You call yourself Fire fans? God help us with fans like this.

21. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    God help us with fans who always seem to bring a conspiricy theory into the picture.

You can say whatever you want about the ref and his ability to call a game.

but IN MY OPINON, saying that he's part of some fixing scandal is totally out of left field and makes you look foolish.

but don't take my word for it, take Liam's or read what Joseph wrote about 3 posts up.

22. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    it's like crying wolf, Thomas.

the first 300 or 400 times we heard about the "travesty" and "conspiracy" stuff that always seems to happen only at games that you attend or at least watched on TV, it was something to read.

now it's just gotten embarrassing on your part.

23. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Maybe we need to resurrect this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=88

24. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
  25. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001