Gm #21: Dallas v Chicago - 10 August, 3:00 PM CDT [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by GoHawks4, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Jaquie

Jaquie New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Hristo's free kick was indeed a thing of beauty.

St. Silva curse . . .interesting. In July, there were two brand new refs calling Fire games and each of them blew some big calls at the Fire's expense. I wonder if the first class an MLS ref has to take is "How To Screw The Fire 101". Perhaps St. Silva, Kenny and Reed teach it.

Anyway, heartbreaker to go down in flames at the end of that game.

2. Mayo

Mayo Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Dema should be fired!!!!!!!!

3. Sorry Coz, you're wrong on this one. Not a thing wrong with Boca's cross. A striker as good as Wolff's press clippings tell us he is puts that ball away. No friggin excuse for blowing it and Josh should be the first to tell you.

Our attacking players look tenative, our midfield was nonexistent (hello Dema) and Martinez made Vaudreuil look like a guy who should have stayed retired. Could Billy Sleeth have been worse? Curtin wasn't all that today either.

MOTM - Boca, with Hristo a distant second. Did Sportsphone Freddy Huebner miss CJ today? I sure did.

4. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was curious to see if anyone else thought the ref sucked as bad as I did. Looks like he pissed off fans from both sides.

I particularly enjoyed the Suarez/Beasley and Suarez/Stoitchkov battles today.

5. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I'm not saying Josh couldn't have buried it, but setting it up on his right foot in that situation is harder than it looks. Any time a cross is coming in almost directly at your feet instead of in front of them, it can be tricky. That's all.

Later,
    COZ

6. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    Damn, tough luck for the Fire. Hristo's goal, what can you say? Perhaps one of the best in league history? Yet another no call on the hand ball.

BTW-Kermit's a local ref here in Florida. He does a pretty good job.

7. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Seeing as how Deering played the ball in the box deliberately with his hand and he missed it? Yeah, I'd say we thought he sucked.

That second half battle between Beasley and Vaca was nice as well.

Later,
    COZ

8. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gus St. Silva can bite it. Arg!

9. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And yes Coz, you are correct, DMB and Vaca is something I would like to watch every week, a lot of great action from guys who aren't allowed to legally drink yet. Like little ninjas they were all over the place doing the right thing.

10. FireFanKeith

FireFanKeith Member

Mar 6, 2000
    chicago,il usa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arghhhhh

We had the chance to take over first place and be second over all in the standings and we blew it! Time to take that waste of space Walsh out of the damn lineup. Where the hell is Kelly Gray? Also time for Josh and Dema to step it up. This season is sooo frustrating. Hopefully Hristo can continue to play more minutes as he seems to be the only one that has any fire (no pun intended). St.Peter can't come back soon enough.
    My prediction for the last 7 games for the Fire is a 5-1-1 record and we win the division! Remember I am probably talking with my heart and not my head.
    Anyway I think if we continue to get healthy and Josh and Dema put some of their chances away we will be ok. Any predictions from anyone for the last 7 games?

11. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm glad I turned it off after goal #2, I didn't need to see this indignity.

12. Burn20

Burn20 New Member

Jul 29, 2000
    NJ

Don't worry, we'll take care it that for you on the 17th.

13. Burn20

Burn20 New Member

Jul 29, 2000
    NJ
    burn fans play with cattle.

14. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Terrible ref. Were there any Burn fans at the game? On TV it sounded like Fire fans were in control.
    I can count 5 or 6 handballs in the penalty area that have not been called this year. The Fire never get a penalty kick, so the teams know they can handle the ball all they want. Ask Colorado. Ask Chad Deering.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes there were Burn fans at the game. The TV lies. I was there and I heard Ty said Chicago controlled the game. hahahah good one, we owned you. Both teams had good opportunities that they blew but we won so it's all good. You're on crack there was no hand ball.

16. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I have been watching soccer a long time. I have never seen a referee head away what looked like a goal. Before the replay I though it was a top notch defensive header. The ref moved on it and saved the goal. The ref was the man of the match.
    The Fire fans provided some fan atmosphere for the national TV. Something Dallas has not been accused of lately.

17. viperdiablo21

viperdiablo21 Member

Jul 20, 2002
    another burn fan talking out of his ass. get with it bud everyone knows it was a bad no call. true the fire didnt own the game but that call would have been a major point in the game. josh should have put away that chance, plus the handball, and the hristo goal and we could have won easily.

18. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Refereeing was pretty bad, but it evened itself out. Ref missed Deering's hand ball in the box, but Stoichkov's free kick came from a world-class dive, not to mention his elbow to Suarez's head.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ok buddy you're right I'm wrong. Actually I didn't see the hand ball but my dad who was watching it on TV said he did. Oh well we still owned you TRUST me I was there, and no way you could have won easily. Stoichcov dove on that free kick. Only goal. I rest my case. as for whoever thought that small pidily fire group was louder than us next to them is on crack. what you heard on tv was us you silly morons. I'm outta this thread, keep crying.

20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Nope. That wuz us... get your ears checked, moron.

Signed,

one of the "pidily Fire group"

21. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw the second half, so here's my thoughts on the second half only.

Dallas definitely was the more dangerous team...Dallas outscoring us 2-1 was a pretty fair assessment of the play, IMHO.

This year more than ever, we are just giving the ball away....especially in midfield. Either that, or we'll make 4 decent passes, and then will make a pass with absolutely no thought behind it and give up possession that way.

Hristo's goal reminded me of his goal v. Germany in the quarters in 1994. Illgner (sp?) didn't move on that one, either.

What was the attendance? That place looked empty....decent sound coming through on the tv, though.

22. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So your dad saw the handball too and you don't believe him? You Dallas people need to put more trust in those who brought you into this world.

And since you lied before, I'm supposed to trust you now, simply because you put it in CAPITALS? Hehe! Silly Burn fan!

23. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Second half was where Walsh came out, after that, any midfield runs by the Burn went right through the center third. This season's midfield has been awful since Peter has been out and without Armas, it's not going to get better soon. Passing was actually a lot better in the first half, pity you missed that.

I missed the crowd there as well, I saw Fire fans, but didn't really see any Bun fans there until they took those shots from the sidelines up, was everyone afraid to come down to the first few rows?

24. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You really are on crack. I was at the game, and I give the Chicago fans a lot of credit for coming all the way and adding a lot to the game. There were only about a dozen or so, but they had loud voices! I did see a lot of looks in the crowd like, "wait, are those people cheering against the team?" No other team has ever attempted such a vocal presence in our stadium. I hope you all come back.

That said, your efforts definitely inspired the Inferno section who responded to any Fire chanting with overwhelming force of drums and their own chants. From the stands there was no question who was "in control." I remember thinking that this was going to be no Columbus where you could claim to outyell the local supporters.

I invite you to come and try again though. It made for a very fun time and nice atmosphere.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because you heard some noise, doesn't mean that it was coming from Fire fans.

I heard them a couple of times. But there were many times where I didn't hear squat coming from their section. And don't think I'm trolling when I say that there was a lot less noise coming from that section when the Burn were winning than when the score was tied.

However, they did respond well to a few verses of "You're not singing over there" from The Inferno when the Burn went up 1-0.

But hey, what the hell do I know? I was only three sections over.