Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Just stop supporting the club and watching shit.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Understand that he's playing at a much lower level, but like what I'm seeing from Galbraith here. No guarantee of course that he would be able to replicate this on a consistent basis at United, but this is the ability and quality he showed at youth level when playing in midfield.
    Definitely worth keeping an eye on what he does this season with Doncaster, if nothing else. Needs to keep this up.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Too much time on the ball. That level is almost a waste for him but at the very least he's getting used to the physical challenge of playing against grown men.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Disappointing that Amad could not make it on that list (nothing that could be done though with his injury). Elanga is another one: believed he would have been a decent bet to stay after the preseason he had but Ronaldo's arrival obviously changed everything there.
    A loan abroad (Bundesliga?) or to a lower Prem and even Championship surely would have been very good for him. Perhaps he can be in play in January: we'll see how things go between now and then, I suppose.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man United youngster making 'dizzying' progress - Club keep promises after snatching him from Madrid - Sport Witness

He already showed some positive signs last season when he joined the U23 team in pretty short order after starting with the U18s. Really started this season extremely well, where he's been one of the standout performers so far.
    Another one of our kids we definitely need to keep a close eye on: a solid season this term will see him ready to go out on loan somewhere for the 22/23 campaign.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another MotM performance for Chong today in B'Ham's win vs Derby.
    [​IMG]

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henderson, Wellens, Hardley, Jones, Mengi, Svidersky, Shoretire, Savage, Hugill, Hannibal, Iqbal.

That is Phil Jones (along with Hendo) who will be playing with the U23s against Arsenal. Making his comeback after more than a year out due to injury.
    Not live on MUTV unfortunately...

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tuanzebe looked a lot undercooked. Sure, Lukaku was a big test, but Axel didn't make it very difficult for him.

Hopefully he keeps getting game-time and starts improving.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What?

10. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he means to say he is not ready for prime time.

I will say that reading that comment after reading the comment about Camavinga threw me for a loop for a second.

johno repped this.
  11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Part of my confusion is I stopped watching before the last goal. Axel played well from what I saw (half paying attention for most of the game). I've since seen the goal. I don't think it was terrible from Axel, you kinda have no choice but to bite on a shot fake from that range. It looked bad, but thems the breaks.

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He basically spent last season not playing - hence saying he looked undercooked.

Playing as main central CB against Lukaku came a bit too soon for him IMO.

Lukaku 2nd too for example, Lukaku always going to shoot with his left from there.

Like I said, hopefully he will improve with more game time.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Brandon Williams got good reviews for his performance, despite Norwich loss to Arsenal.

Deadtigers and johno repped this.
  14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He played well. He locked up Pepe for the most part.

Speaking of youth team defenders. Alvaro Fernandez is continuing his excellent start to his United career. Excellent for the u23s so far. I think he needs a loan. Shaw is obviously standing in his way, but if we can get him 6 months in the championship in January and maybe a season for a bottom of the table premier league team or a year abroad, he might be ready to be our backup for Luke in 2023.

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Shaw Telles and Dalot are standing in his way. Not to mention Brandon.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of time presumably when it comes to Fernandez contending for the first team, not there yet. This is very much a situation comparable to Laird, for all intents and purposes.
    What to look forward to next for him is sending him on loan for probably a couple of seasons so he can continue his development. After that, depending on how things go, decisions can be made in terms of the guys in the first team...

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not so good from Brandon - especially their 3rd goal where he was ball watching with his hand in the air for offside that didnt come. Difficult in team that is not playing well, but good experience and a proper test for him.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a so-so first half, the U23s look to be advancing pretty comfortably in the EFL Trophy, getting a decisive 0-3 win vs Bradford City.
    Goals from Savage (might be ruled og though), Hugill and Hoogewerf in a much improved and dominant display in the 2nd half.

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We should make that just Shaw and Telles - Dalot at LB should be aborted, Brandon ain’t making it. And Telles’ contract wasn’t a particularly long one IIRC...?

It’ll be a while anyway before he’s ready for the first team, it’s just good to know he’s coming.

Laird is the big one right now. I’d bring him into our squad next season without blinking, and he would definitely be knocking on the first XI door. Sancho and Laird would be terrifying to defend against, and take a lot of strain off our midfield creatively.

Maybe change his loan up in Jan so he gets PL time, but it’d have to be somewhere that plays a back 4 and isn’t just defending the entire time. And it’s hard to find teams like that who don’t already have an established RB. Maybe move him somewhere much higher up the Championship table if Cooper doesn’t drastically improve Swansea.

20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I have questions over Laird's defending. I only watched his first couple of games. Playing in a back three is easier for a wing back because of the right sided center back.

Laird is only 20 and Dalot is 22 so both are real young. I agree on moving him to a better club but that won't happen. Cooper will probably get the sack too.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is the second and final year of Telles contract. In a perfect world Williams would come back to us and be able to deputize for the next year or two and then Fernandez would take over. The question is would Shaw be able to stay elite for another 4 years or we have to ditch him in a couple of years and get another elite one while we develop Fernandez

22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    A full back like Shaw can play until 32 at a high level barring any injuries. Similar to Marcelo. That is the bar that I have set for him since day 1. Having options and competition is always good. That competition should only be by one other very very good player (not potential).

Brandon is not going to make it here.

Deadtigers and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    His defending is the only question mark and I’ll freely admit I haven’t seen enough of it recently. I did read these comments and follow-ups from a Swans fan which were very encouraging:-
    CB7B73AB-6AA6-42C6-8FDE-19392B9EACF8.jpeg

I would want to see Laird in a back 4 to best assess him defensively, but I’m looking at our buildup in a 3-1-6, a 2-2-6, a 3-2-5 etc, where Laird would be the right winger - as our attacking alternative to AWB he’d be well ahead of Dalot IMO.

Deadtigers and jeff070 repped this.
  24. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I won't count Dalot out. I do not think we have seen enough of him and see him build a relationship with his teammates. At Milan even though he played a lot he played in different positions which brings up the same issue. We shall see.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telles is 28 and under contract until 2024, so there is room to maneuver in terms of the team's options for the LB spot. By the time next season rolls around, Fernandez will be 19 and should he continue to show great form he has so far in this campaign, he really should be ready to go out on loan somewhere.
    How he plays vs grown men will be the real test of how he develops and how the club can proceed by then with the likes of Telles for instance. Fully expect Williams to be gone within the next season or 2 max (particularly if Telles, as expected, sticks around): he's good enough to fight for a starting spot elsewhere (lower to mid Prem team or even Championship) and his road to the first team is firmly blocked.
    Fernandez can spend the next couple of seasons at least, out on loan where he can continue his development and playing as much football as he can (which will be crucial for him). By then he could be ready to contend for a spot in United's team.