Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Laird is the next in line to be promoted.
    upload_2020-6-29_7-45-26.png
    Genuinely excited about him and it will be interesting to see how Ole chooses to handle him. Has played as a RB lately, but he can play on the left and would also be curious about him being an option at RW.
    Another player though who probably could benefit from being sent out on loan next season.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Put me firmly in the camp of people that don't give a shit that Gomes is leaving. Not near good enough to be making any outlandish wage demands at his age. If he wants to leave for more playing time, then fair play to him, but I haven't seen anything from him that tells me he's going to get it at any other top club.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In agreement w/ Mizzou here. I get that he's disappointed not to be featuring more and he thinks he's worth a bigger contract, but he's not Pogba. He's not a can't miss and even Pogba didn't get star treatment. You've at least got to be banging on the door for a place in the first xi before you can consider making wage demands.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He didn't get a real chance, but whatever.

5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Why do people keep bringing up wage demands?

This is clearly about playing time. Since Ole joined there had been questions about Gomes actually getting a chance.

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he hasn't even been lighting up the U23's for a while now and no matter how much anyone hates him no one can say he hasn't given youth a chance.

we would have all loved it if he made it. the youngest player ever at 16 was nice but then what came after? he got surpassed as the gem of the academy. probably more than once.

what has he shown to deserve any kind of minutes? maybe three seasons ago he had a case but if the best argument for him now is Lingard and Pereira are bad that's not saying much.

if he stays and buckles down (whether here or on loan) then fine, no problem. if he goes whatever. not like we're losing out on an elite or super elite talent

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    wage demands or pt demands it doesn't matter. You can't manke ANY demands when you aren't obviously a cant miss prospect. Pogba couldn't get pt at 17 and he was big, fast and a man amongst boys. Gomes has the wrong approach if he wants to make it here. Someone like Tuanzebe was dominant for the unders and then dominant in the championship for a side that got promoted and he's still more patient.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season included, every time Gomes played at youth level for the U23s, he was excellent and it was generally accepted that he was beyond that level.
    He was kept at the club on the back on his performances during preseason, which obviously turned out to be a mistake. Should have been sent out on loan somewhere where he could have a genuine chance at some type of regular playing time. Would have had probably a better idea whether he had a future at the club or not . But keeping him at the club and barely playing him was never going to end well.
    Do I believe he's this huge loss that we'll regret wholeheartedly later (like Pogs)? Not really (especially with the similar type of talents coming behind him). But as a highly touted player who was raised at the club, only would have liked for our handling of him to be better overall.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It doesnt matter if is an issue of wages or guaranteed minutes, the bottom line is he thinks he should be playing more for the first team and management disagrees. I would genuinely be disappointed if I thought he might go to Chelsea and become a star but I dont see that happening.

Whether you believe in Ole or not, its clear that hes trying to re-build the culture at the club and weed out guys that are just in it for the money or that dont have the right mentality. There have been reports that Ole doesnt like Gomes attitude and if thats true and hes making wage/playing time demands, its the right move to tell him to kick rocks.

Plus, I rate Hannibal more than Gomes and I think he has more potential.

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    what annoys me most about this is Solskjær is again going to take the shit and the flack for this and everyone's conveniently forgotten how bad we are at deals anyway.

as if the Bruno, Wan-Bissaka and Maguire sags didn't just happen. Herrera running down and out as well.

he could easily be leaving because like Bellingham or Håland he thinks somewhere else is better for his development. regardless of whether it's true or not
    he could easily be leaving because Woodward wants to cut costs or is cheaping out yet again. as i've said a million times now there is clear disconnect between what Solskjær wants and what Woodward wants. dating back to the same example i always use.

we renewed or extended Jones, Mata, Smalling and Rojo. how many of them play? how many are even here?

but again Solskjær will take the fall because the best argument for Gomes is Lingard, Pereira, Mata are zeros. even despite Solskjær saying on multiple occasions he wants to keep him. what is the fxcking rush at 19 anyway when you've never once lit up a preseason

United 16 repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd be really surprised if this falls on Ole at all. I've been (probably overly) critical of Ole, but he's not all at fault here. If he didnt believe that Gomes is good enough to get more minutes then thats his choice. Its not like Gomes has been brilliant when he got minutes and Ole just refuses to expand them. He's looked meh the few times he's come on.

The only person at fault here is Gomes and "at fault" is probably the wrong term. Either hes leaving because he wants more playing time or because he wants more money. If its more money, then ******** him he hasnt earned it. If its more playing time, great, good luck kid and I hope he has a good career.

12. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    We were never going to send him out on loan without a new contract.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomes is said to have offers from several clubs, with Chelsea reported to be one of them. They are still very much interested in getting him and are said to be ready to offer him the contract he's looking for.
    Guessing it won't be long before we find out where he'll be headed, since he will be free to sign with anyone as soon as tomorrow...

14. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely it can't be about playing time if he's thinking about joining Chelsea.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    This is why i don't understand the lies that are being spread here.

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The fact that he's constantly being linked with Chelsea and Barca, should say something even if it doesnt say a whole lot.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What minutes bro? One start away to Astana, with a reserve team. Even Chong has played more and most thing he isnt good enough.

19. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I don't understand why you're so invested in this. He's leaving, do you really care that much? Or is just about getting the story straight?

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You make it seem like hes going in there, big willy style and making demands.

Any player singing a long term contract will want to know if he actually has a future. Not everybody is Jesse Lingard and want to go out on loan 5 or 6 years in a row or until they turn 22

Or until they are "big enough " lol

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    And so what if we have Mejbri coming thru? Of he's good enough he will take the spot.

Same with all you guys holding places for dylan Levitt (did he even play again this season aftet Astana?), Garner and co.

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He wouldn't be opposing it so staunchly if it was another poster. Benni has a thing for me.

23. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its a bit of both. I thinks hes good enough to play for us. I also think there's some BS being put out here.

jnielsen and Chaz Striker repped this.
  24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dont you think that sentence applies to Gomes as well? If he's good enough, he would've forced Ole to give him minutes.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No because Ole has to rebuild a squad. The only youth player Ole has given a real go is Brandon Williams and he had to play because we had no one else.

By the time Mejbri will be ready, you'd expect a much more settled side.