Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Inter Milan should just change its name to MUFC2.

United 16 repped this.
  2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Good news. Room for a proper prospect to come through.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    assuming that's true i wouldn't be too sad about it.

should have loaned him to get a real idea if what he can do. these short cameos tell you very little.

at the same time he's never been a prodigy so it's very unlikely he'll be a world beater. and it's not a case of Solskjær refusing to play youth. he's been very generous in that aspect.

Gomes needs to show more. he was supposed to be the academy gem but that has mostly fizzled out

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    How can you fizzle out before you've had a proper chance?

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    by not showing enough to get a start or sub appearance when called upon.

he's been overtaken by Greenwood as the gem

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm with @benni... on this one. He's not been given a proper chance. Gomes is too small, but that's an asset some times. He should have been on the bench frequently and should have had a chance to play on the wings or in the 10 role prior to our signing of Bruno. Even now, he could be getting 10 minutes or 15 minutes at the end of games to show that he deserves more time.

Mase certainly has surpassed Gomes but I think Gomes is even in danger of being overshadowed by the likes of Garner/Levitt - but they need loans or playing time to develop, same as him.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mejbri looks impressive, I'm always pleased by how he puts himself about. He's an obvious talent on the ball, but he looks to have the grit to do well.

I'm intrigued by Forson. I don't know what it is, but there's something about him on the ball that strikes me was different. Need to see more of him, he seems to always be a sub.

8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It sounds like we know Gomes hasn't had enough of a chance, given that we're talking about how he will be a late bloomer like Jesse. We seem to be asking Gomes to trust that his time will come, which is a big ask tbh if he knows big European sides are interested. I'm not sure who we'd loan him to if we are concerned about his physicality. Maybe in Belgium his talent will be too much for DMs to pin him down.

I agree that we should have Gomes on the bench more often now, it seems more likely that we'll be in a comfortable position in games to bring him on. An indirect side effect of not signing Bruno in the summer might be that we lose Gomes because we haven't been able to risk minutes for him when we're still chasing goals or only 1 goal away from ********ing up a lead.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Football is in my blood by Angel Gomes.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/utd-unscripted-angel-gomes-football-in-the-blood

Enjoyed this from Gomes very much. I have no idea what the issue is in regards to his new contract with the club (whether it's lack of PT/opportunities, money or something else) but I'm still holding out hope that it gets resolved somehow. The club means something to him: that much is pretty clear. But he just wants to play also, which is perfectly understandable.
    At still just 19 and a half, there is still time to get his career on track. And if he does stay, we need to promptly send him out on loan next term for the year. Thinking to a Championship club or if it's abroad, maybe to a lower tier Spanish one or even possibly Portugal.
    Just have to make sure it's at a good club that suits him in terms of the style of play, with a coach who will look after him and where he will have a genuine opportunity at playing regularly.
    Really not overly worried about his size anymore, because he's tougher than he looks. And if you can ride tackles the way he does and take rough treatment up to a point, then height (or lack thereof) is not a concern. Not to mention, his ability definitely goes some way in making up for his lack of height.
    In the next couple of years, we're looking at Mata leaving and perhaps guys like Lingard and AP will have moved on as well. Don't think that finding him a place in the squad if he develops as expected, will be a big issue or stumbling block.
    Just have to hope that he signs a new deal with the club, giving us the chance to continue nurturing and developing him in the process. The right way this time.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Romano seems pretty confident that Chong will join Inter this summer.

I for one couldn’t care less. I’ve seen nothing from him that says he has the potential we thought he did. He looks years away from being able to contribute to the first team.

Naboomagnoli and Chaz Striker repped this.
  11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We missed a trick on Chong and I've only just seen it myself. He's not a bad player, but he should have been moved to LB. His best qualities are pace and athleticism. Not terrible at striking the ball, but nothing about his game shouts first team attacker.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2687 Ashur, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    U23 team for today's game vs Stoke.
    upload_2020-3-2_13-54-22.png
    Fine start for United, with Chong as per usual at this level, is having a blinder so far, wide right. Put in the cross for Garner who headed the ball in to open the score, 1-0..
    Timmy is another one having lots of joy so far: puts the ball in the box following a great run and Gomes puts the ball away to make it 2-0.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2688 Ashur, Mar 2, 2020
    HT: 3-0 United. Scored another, as Garner gets his brace. United are playing well but it's not the beatdown that the score would suggest as Stoke have had 3 goals ruled off themselves for offside thus far (United had one chalked off themselves as well). To United's credit, Tuanzebe is doing a superb job marshalling the backline. Good half though obviously from the United boys.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2689 Ashur, Mar 2, 2020
    Stoke who have been battled hard today, have got themselves back in the game in the 2nd half. With a little over 20mins left in this one, United need to reassert themselves and not let this one get away from them.

FT: United get the win 3-2, after a very nervy finish which saw Stoke come very close on a couple of occasions. Good run out and showing overall from the likes of Tuanzebe and Timmy both. Chong put in a quality performance, particularly in the first half, as did Garner. Levitt, in a quiet way was solid also. Big win though against a scrappy Stoke team.
    Good to see Shawcross making his comeback after his terrible injury as well.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Garner scored his 8th and 9th goals of the season in United's win vs Stoke. He definitely looks like he's ready for a new challenge. Would still like him to play some part, however small, with the first team this season.
    Thursday's game vs Derby would have been a good opportunity (the turnaround might be too short though). But it's important for him (along with others like Laird and Levitt just to name those 2) to be sent out on loan next season unless circumstances change extraordinarily. A Championship club might be the way to go: could send them abroad to a lower tier league, if they feel they can ready to handle such an experience/challenge.
    Can't mess up the works the way we have with the likes of Gomes and Chong this season and give them the best chance to further their development to eventually give them a genuine shot at making United's first team..

16. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who headed the ball off the line to save a goal in the last highlight?

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuanzebe. For his first game in a while, he was very good, particularly in terms of leading the backline and keep it together when Stoke came back in the 2nd half.
    I would venture that he was probably going to be subbed off at some point in the 2nd half, but he's so good when the pressure is on and in terms of being a leader out there that he end up playing the full 90. And his save off the line in added time literally saved the W on the day.
    Fingers crossed he can manage to stay fit for a long stretch.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2693 Ashur, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020

Another exciting prospect close to being secured.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty incredible from Deano (looking like Dave a few years back). And he produces those pretty regularly too apparently. There may be a debate as to who should be United's #1 going into next season. But there should be none as far being England's going into the Euros.
    And btw, he's right up there with Alisson in the most clean sheets so far this season.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope that it doesn't mean that United are ready to keep him at the club, if he were to sign a new deal. If Chong and/or Gomes happen to sign new contracts, United need to promptly start setting up potential loan moves for them pronto ahead of next season (along with a few other youth players as well).
    United's current offer is said to be in the £30k/wk range. As far as Gomes is concerned, talks are said to also being ongoing, with United still not giving up on him either.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not as low on Chong as a lot of folk are. He's a good kid. He has talent, he's not prodigious, but he's got tools and he's hard working and he's left footed. I can see why the team wants to keep him around. Left footed wingers who can shoot and have pace tend to make something of themselves.

benni... repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Chong's agent suggest he will be staying. Good news as far as I'm concerned, if it proves to be the case. The key now is to get his development back on track, which as stated, means sending him out on loan. Would look to a Championship or possibly even an Eredivisie club back home.
    Bottom line, he needs to play as much as possible vs men, not boys. And in the end, if things don't work out in terms of him making United's first team, we still have the option to sell him. But at least, we will have tried our best, which is the least we should expect from players from our youth system.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official: Chong has signed until 2022 (with an option for an extra year).
    [​IMG]
    Angel and Largie next now please.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good news. I really do like him. Most importantly I value that he's a hard worker and a diligent young professional. If the reports that Lingard and AP are on their way out, we're going to need depth in the coming seasons.