Glenn Davis reporting Paulo Nagamura as new Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DonJuego, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
    upload_2022-1-17_10-55-4.png

You're correct, 3 seasons ago he made 4 appearances at LB. Then he made 50 USL appearances up top and had 23 goals and 7 assists over that span. Last year, he had 4 goals and 2 assists in 844 minutes, which isn't terrible. He was ranked #13 in the league with goals/shot on target, which means he can finish. If he'd had enough shots to qualify, he'd have led league in goals per shot. His SOT% would have ranked 3rd in the league. His shot-creating actions/90 was 3rd on the team, and at 3.4 isn't a terrible number. He was playing really well, got hurt, went to Canada, and was never the same.

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    dude, you are confusing making plays with reliable for 90. it's the inverse of forward. a forward can be a lazy waste of space for 88', score 2 goals, be a hero everyone wants. a back who plays well for 88' then allows 2 goals is scrapheap. it's a 90' responsible position and the difference is the ones who do it almost every time.

i went through and showed you all this last year. cascading breakdowns in which the CBs often played their own part. the really good CBs are the ones who mop that up.

i played back and wing. i didn't see some awesome budding backline. i saw another row of dominos. the rest of the team gave them no help but they were not stoppers. we need to get back to the eddie robinson model. quit worrying about offense. can you mark an elite player out of a game, or not. let the attack handle their end.

3. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
    So, basically every CB on the planet is scrap heap, because basically every CB on the planet has given up late goals. Also, pretty sure there's more than 1 guy responsible for giving up late goals.

Ethos and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  5. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
    He played more minutes as a CF/LW especially over the last 4 years.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    dude, i could usually count on 1 hand how many times i got beat for a goal in a college season. and half those were usually a near post header or ill advised offsides trap.

you continue to miss my point. dominos would fall, i granted that. my issue is they wouldn't stop. people would screw up in front of me in college. i would mop it up. end of problem. that's what i look for in defenders. if the dominos keep falling they are average or poor. i said upfront they didn't get much help. i said they didn't dig out from it very much.

stopping dominos involves man marking ability or even the ability to handle 2v1.

sorry but i don't buy your bs. i was the guy who the other team would be on a 3v1 or 2v1 break, or get past the keeper, and i would still stop you often enough. i was the one who would blow up 2v1 shooting drills.

it exists at that level. go get it. this is trash. you are judging by trash. watch miles robinson play.

i was gonna say no one does a clean sheet but we actually did one select season in eddoa (0 GA) so nm. we once won a dallas tournament without scoring a goal through 3 knockouts, all PKs. that can happen. i agree in reality you will give some, but it's like baseball hitting or GM work or goals scored. how often, what percentage. turning it all into nihilistic mush does a disservice. you want the ones who allow the fewest. keepers, backs. GAA.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #157 juvechelsea, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    your original argument was i am playing a winger as a back. i showed you he has more games at back. that ties my argument in a bow. i have shown he can play where i want him to. QED. the seed is plantable.

everything after that is just status quo pushback. i know i am asking for a change. you're just fighting the change by making continuity arguments. "well, but he has more minutes as a F." begs the question. my point is he played a lot of LB and given our plight we should probably tinker. he is not the latest elis. i don't get why preserve at all costs. i think he'd be a hustling lundkvist with teeth.

one of my concerns with what you advocate is you end up with the same coach and 3/4 of his lineup, then act like that would turn the corner. i am telling you the whole thing is close to trash. i am telling you to extract better results it needs to look different. we need AMs we don't have. i am leery of setting up the central players with dorsey and pasher, with valentin and lundkvist behind them. that sounds like the lead 3 waiting around a lot while the USL supporting cast struggles to get them the ball or defend.

if we run out 9 (ferreira) or 10 (clark) of the same players in the same places -- even if we tell them to tackle everything moving -- this will be another long season.

8. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
    I watch some pretty good players in the back every Saturday morning. Parker and Hadebe aren't trash. You know who agrees with me? Professional scouts, front office people, and local radio personalities. I believe it takes more than 2 guys to stop a goal, definitely more than 1. Our goals against dropped from 1.62 to 1.18 immediately after signing Hadebe, and our goals against was better than last year before we got him solely based on Parker's play.

And we agree on one thing, this will be a long season. We still need a RB, a 6, and a 10. We could still upgrade Lundy and Vera, but they aren't pressing needs. If Ferreira is as good as he looks, we'll be better but not good enough.

Ethos repped this.
  9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    fwiw i also think a healthy baird puts up bigger seasonal numbers wide than pasher or dorsey which means rationally one of them is bench, now, much less if/when we upgrade further. but they have their use. how can we get them on the field? they both are mullan style low production hustle wingers who track back. my experience those sorts can also play wingback. they are defensively sound -- and wing is an unforgiving place to defend -- will run hard to get back, and their limited numbers are less crushing as dedicated wingbacks.

so, i can either sit valentin and lundkvist back there and just set up a dunk tank booth for charity, or i can move people back who hustle and tackle.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    you can of course leave quintero and fafa wide and justify the mess behind them as we don't need change, then we have no interior engine whatsoever. that starts to sound waaaaaaaaaaaay too much like last season. clark in back and ferreira up top is not fixing that enough.

11. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
    Baird hasn't put up the numbers per 90 minute that Pasher put up last year ever..

Also, you had Lundy in your starting 11 as a winger.

12. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
    Quintero is awful wide, and was pretty terrible everywhere last year unless he was playing centrally.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most teams seasons were done by Thanksgiving. You are full excuse making right now. Your premise assumes the Dynamo had no real intent to spend big this off-season which implies many of their “investing in the team” statements were inaccurate (as seen by moving the message to manage expectations that the investment will be over multiple windows).

RSL had their interim head coach leave midseason for a better assistant job!!! Mastroeni was then kicked up to interim and he was available!! Coaches are available all the time. You flat out lie

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well they are doing a “buy one for opener, get game 2 for free” already so that is not a good sign. Between the poor last half decade plus Covid and other choices of use of time, I suspect season tickets are less than half of what they were 10 years ago

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #165 juvechelsea, Jan 17, 2022
    Re Hadebe

140221022223230100 (how many goals we allowed in each of the games he played)=27 GA/17 =1.588 GAA

That’s what the overall GAA was when he played. I don’t know what you’re talking, “immediately dropped” other than as a way to spin that one can see where it started better than it ended.

54 GA total/34 games total=1.588!!!

Literally dead on team pace with or without him.

And no, I didn’t goose the numbers. They just come out beautiful without one touch. He played half the season at the same pace we did for the full thing.

Remember your argument is it got better. Nope, stayed the same. I made a similar explanation on ppg when you wanted to keep Ramos. Looking at it over time rather than cherry picking some period of time, we were worse to close the season, not better.

Thanks for playing.

To be fair, he's not responsible for everything, but my point is it didn't tip the scales at some team level. The argument in favor of your theory is we were a better team to finish the season. So just follow that curve upwards. We didn't really change. Your assumptions are unjustified.

The sort of team that might follow the curve is RSL, went from in trouble to playoffs. That's an actual change of fortunes and results.

But I tend to believe MLS eats teams alive that stand pat, particularly bad ones.

16. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    to explain what i mean by island defending

433 opponent
    yyyy
    xx
    yyy
    xxxxx
    yyy
    xxx
    352 us

every back is spoken for and has to cover their man perfect.

and i would prefer to be in their situation as their 4 backs only have 2 dedicated covers, and just some concern if the wings push up (but they match up on numbers), while my 3 backs definitely have 3 to cover.

versus

433 opponent
    yyyy
    x
    yyy
    xxxxx
    yyy
    xxxx
    451 us

i have an extra man to defend.

they in theory will struggle past the 5 mids and 4 backs, who outnumber their opposing lines. i can then push my wings up and chase goals.

18. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020

Also, a few more things: We posted clean sheets in 5 of his 17 appearances and gave up 1 goal in 3 others. We posted 0 clean sheets without him in the lineup. I'd say that's making an impact. We posted 3 clean sheets in his first 3 appearances, with the only person scoring on us over his first 270 minutes in Orange was Zarek Valentine. The first time a team broke through against us was because Ceren got a 17th minute straight red. Hadebe made an impact on this team, if you can't see it, that's on you. Also, by literally every measure, going from 1.74 GA in 2020 to 1.59 GA in 2021 is improvement.

Ethos and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    response, why do i care about the xga mumbo jumbo when the actual GA and team ppg didn't budge ie we sat in a dank cellar

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    your numbers, not that you're looking very close, actually suggest parker made the change. bad (2020), somewhat down (first half 2021), flat (second half 2021). ponder the chronology of that. if hadebe was as good as you suggest, it should have continued down. the numbers went down when the other CB arrived.

you can look at the sheer number of 2s, 3s, and 4s while you make your 0s argument. how do you think it comes out the same if you pitch more shutouts. that may suggest risktaking.

last point, it was a bad defense that allowed 54 goals. that maintained the same pace. that pace will stay flat with the same personnel. perhaps slightly down if we play team defense this season. you're acting like this was the 2017 defense coming in and righting the ship somewhat. it wasn';t.

21. Brian Gilchriest

Eintracht Frankfurt
    United States
    Oct 3, 2020
    If you take the Ceren Red game out, there was one three-goal game (Colorado) and one four-goal game (Sporting K.C.).

There were 6 two goal games, and most of those came when we were chasing a second goal and pushed our midfield up leaving our backline exposed.

Parker made an impact, so did Hadebe. If we weren't constantly giving the ball away in the midfield, and pushing everyone up chasing a goal we couldn't score, the numbers probably would have been better.

Ethos repped this.
  22. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Clark is moderately better than Nelson.

I don’t see too much else changing to be honest. I think Picault probably regresses hard. I think Memo and Baird probably bounce back to some extent.

X factors are Ferreira, Thor, Nagamura, Quintero, and then someone out of left field like Palomino or Hoffman.

Other than that I don’t see much happening outside the summer window. Jordan/Ramos were allowed to effectively hamstring the team last window via desperation moves.

I don’t think it’s a write-off though. We should still be in the mix for a playoff spot. Poor teams like ours actually can do well the first few weeks because rustiness/fixture congestion/player integration can bring the better teams down to our level at the start of the season.

Hit the summer window hard and there’s no reason a low playoff spot is unrealistic.

Brian Gilchriest repped this.
  23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #173 juvechelsea, Jan 17, 2022
    to correct something you tried to sneak by a while back, TM shows pasher with 27 games as a LB. you said something like 4 or 5 in one season. couldn't have been this season below with Swope.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/tyler-pasher/leistungsdaten/spieler/189018/plus/0?saison=2016

that's swope 2017. the interesting thing is nagamura was the AC with Swope in 2017. he would know what i am talking about.

the less helpful thing for my theory is by the next season when nagamura is promoted to HC, Pasher is gone to Indy. i wouldn't buy a house.

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    bears reminding as of week 7 in 2021 we were 3-2-2 on 11 pts sitting 4th. we were above the red line through 1/3 of the last season. and then.

the year coyle got fired (2016) we went TW the first 2 games including the 5-0 whipping of Dallas.

2019 cabrera was winning everything not tied down before going off the cliff with international play.

my personal experience my college coach loved to train his team hard in preseason and that would goose upsets for about 1-2 weeks before fitness equalized, and then the running and hard tackling practices would catch up midseason with heavy injury attrition, and i'd argue the whole came out worse, since we played the ends of seasons shorter than necessary.

to me it's a gimmick of overmatched teams to come out hard early. what's generally worked for the dynamo historically is just kind of groove along until may then kick it up. so, organized early then effort as it gets pivotal and reinforcements arrive.

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006