Glenn Davis = Only person who should commentate on ESPN

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by bayernguy311, Jul 2, 2006.

1. bayernguy311

bayernguy311 New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    With all the talk about the ESPN commentators (such as Dave O'Brian, Marcelo Balboa, and Eric Wynalda) being so inept, I thought that we should single out Glenn Davis as the soul person (and maybe John Harkes, as well) who does a decent job. He's always insightful, fair, and keeps his head. While Wynalda consistantly brings negativity to the scene (especially about the US), Glenn Davis keeps it optimistic, and reminds us how far we have come. For those of you who do not live in the south, you should check out his radio shows on Monday and Wednesday broadcast live from Houston (It streams live on the internet at www.espn790.com ). He's doing great things for the game, and we should all latch on to his coattails.

Basically, rather than pointing out the obvious (Balboa), or exaggerating problems (Jamie Trekker and Eric Wynalda), we should think about things rationally and avoid the sort of knee-jerk reactions that are so common in American sports. Glenn Davis does this, and ESPN would be well-served to appoint more analysts of his stature.

2. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    nice job completely ignoring JP Dellacamera and Rob Stone... watch soccer much?

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    What's your point?

Are you suggesting that Davis or someone with a more rational person shouldn't be considered because of JP and Rob Stone?

Personally I'd welcome just about any new blood doing analysis or play-by-play for USA games. I think most of the "old guard" are extremely poor and most don't seem to understand the game all that well.

4. bayernguy311

bayernguy311 New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Yes, in fact, I watch soccer almost every day. FORTUNATELY, I've been in Europe for most of the world cup (as I went to the games), so I suppose I wasn't able to hear JP or Rob. All I've heard is what Balboa and the like have done. I've been fortunate to hear Glenn's analysis many times. He's fresh, likeable, and doesn't refer to David Beckham as "Michael Beckett" or call Luca Toni, "Toni Luca." Basically, he actually knows what he's doing.

Anyway, it was just an observation. I apologize that I didn't name every single commentator that ESPN has hired.

5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    my point was that you completely ignored ESPN's two most well established commentators. are you saying that ESPN should take davis as the primary guys in the future and give a greater snub to JP?

Dont get me wrong, I like davis, but when you live in houston and still cant pronounce a spanish name like "Wanchope"... especially after calling costa rica in the 02 cup...

6. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I vote for Georgio Canniglia and Wynalda! :)

7. DSM1

DSM1 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    I went to the espn790.com website and immediately got distracted by the "Babe of the Day."

The site has an interesting bio on Glenn Davis. I didn't realize he was a former player. The Soccer Hour show airs from 9-10 p.m. Central Time on Wed. That would be 7-8 p.m. for us left coasters. Couldn't find anything about a Monday airing of the show.

Bayernguy are you suggesting Glenn be an analyst rather than do pbp? I wouldn't think he would be interested as most pbp guys want to be the lead.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    FYP.

Thx,

Jay!

9. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree on Glenn Davis. He is a class act and has a real passion for the game. He is definitely one of the good guys. I hope he is one of the main guys in South Africa. I think he will be doing the FC Barcelona matches when they come to the U.S. in August.

He also writes a soccer column in the Houston Chronicle. Here is the one he put out today. A very balanced look at U.S. Soccer.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/4018617.html

10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    ^Rae would have to drop his accent before Disney lets he act as a primary or for any USA games. ...casual fan...blah,blah,blah...

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain Adrian Healey then, Hoss.

12. SoccerNova2009

SoccerNova2009 New Member

Aug 19, 2000
    probably at a bar
    Adrian Healey and Tommy Smyth were the top team of the Cup IMO. Closely followed by JP and Harkes.

I normally like Glenn Davis very much and was glad to see him involved but I thought he had a poor performance by his standards. Didn't seem to prepare as well and had more mispronunciations than normal. Maybe Shepp Messing brought him down a notch. I don't think their styles go well together. Both kind of have a 'shouting' voice when they get excited and it made the commentary sound harsh on the ears.

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    While I think that Healey did a good job (smyth got on my nerves this cup though), he was far from one of Disney's "primary" announcers. I'm not sure if he was given any matches that were on ABC... the games expected to have the highest viewership due to timeslot and matchup were all pretty much done by JP and OBrien.

14. Meta Tarsal

Meta Tarsal BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 10, 2006
    Thanks for stopping by, Mrs. Davis.

15. bayernguy311

bayernguy311 New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    haha...ok ok, you caught me. But seriously, I know I exaggerated a bit by saying he should be the only person to commentate...but...I suppose my point was that he is one of the few commentators who actually knows what he's talking about. Next time, I shall clarify.

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ESPN PbP rankings:

1. Derek Rae
    2. Adrian Healey (though that's based on a limited sample)
    t3. Glenn Davis
    t3. J.P. Dellacamera
    5. Rob Stone
    99. Dave O'Brien

I'd like to see Dave Johnson (D.C. United) get a shot to call internationals and MLS on ESPN.

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we are talking about the coverage on ESPN/ABC, why do they have Brent Musberger hosting the pre game and half time show? Is he the big main stream sports name that they feel the need to add? I think I would have preferred someone more like Bob Ley.

18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    To be honest, I thought Musburger has done a good job. Not brilliant, but Foudy and Wynalda have been able to cover him.

19. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Are you kidding me or something. If they are covering well for him let me pose this question. Today they were all live in Berlin.They beat to hell the story that Frings was suspended , which was fine. They had a half hour but not once in that half hour did they discuss who might take his place. They were in germany and should at least be able to take a guess as to what Klinsman would do.
    I can tell you if it had been an NFL player who went out the guys in the studio would be all over the choices that the coach might make. I feel they had no idea what the Germans would do to replace him.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Glenn Davis as a commentator and think that he's in the top three American soccer commentators, but he's always pronounced Bundesliga as boon-desh-lee-gah, instead of boon-des-lee-gah, which is the correct pronunciation.

It's always grated me a little bit as a fluent German speaker.