Glazer/United Continued Again

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by sarabella, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add, you should have stopped here. If you don't know about the issues, you don't go around making accusations about anti-Americanism. While I don't doubt that Gl*zer being American exacerbates the situation, its not the main point of debate. Doing just a small amount of homework can go a long way.

2. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

That being the case maybe you should educate yourself before posting opinions....

BTW..most of us here are American and agree with the protestors.....

It's not all about Anti- American sentiment it has to do with him burdening the club with massive debt.....

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opposed to anyone who bought the team with hundreds of millions of pounds of borrowed money that would have to be paid back by artificially increasing revenues, yes.

Yes, shockingly people are offended when clueless folks make false claims of xenophobia against them and their fellow fans.

Today they raise ticket prices, tomorrow how many of the team's "assets" will need to be sold off to pay back the loans? And by assets, I mean Ronaldo, Ruud, Rio, Heinze, Rooney, etc. You say you've read on this forum but you managed to miss all that? Amazing.

4. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    What if and I know this is shocking to a mental midget such as you but just maybe some of us fans from the states want to go to Old Trafford to see a match.....

Maybe with the pound sterling being worth about $1.82 or so it is expensive before a ticket hike....

This is all in addition to what Achtung stated above....

5. JB41504

JB41504 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Detroit
    WHen, if all that "bad" stuff happens then you can start complaining. Until then NOTHING has happened. I don't know if you know anything about Mr. Glazer but he is a self made man, born from the parents of Lithuanian imigrants. If there is anything eh knows how to do it is to run a successful business and a successful sports franchise. Until then they are just worries and the protests are way off base.

It IS a wonder to me that people would get offended by anything anyone on an internet message board would say.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did you buy your house and car outright, or did you take a loan from a bank?

False? Have you read this and the previous thread? Posts calling for folks to explain what a soccer ball is to Glazer are among the tamest things. To deny the anti-Americanism that's rampant in much of the hate here is to have your own head in the sand.

There are plenty of legitimate concerns over the deal, but I'd say 90% of what I've read is pure emotional nonsense or worse. And most of the financial reasoning I've seen has been extremely weak and parrotted from sources with a one-sided agenda.

Yeah, there are huge risks here. But Glazer has never shown himself to be a stupid businessman.

7. JB41504

JB41504 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Detroit
    I'm the mental midget? You are going to copmplain about a few dollar increase in aticket for a soccer game when you are going to pay for a plane ticket to England in the first place? Oh yeah, other than the tickets for the games, London is reasonably priced right? I'm a mental midget?

8. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Soccer does not need Glazer. It is already the most popular sport and generates the largest profits world-wide. What has Glazer done for the sport that we love? Zero. Let him demonstrate his commitment to soccer by running a USL team first(which is based in his own Tampa). Then he can move on to the MLS. This is perhaps the most ridiculous thing to happen to soccer. Unbelievably, the English are permitting this mockery to procede. I think this demonstrates why England continues to decline.

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My car loan was approved contingent upon the fact that I had a job which pays me enough to pay off the loan. My yearly income far exceeds the amount I need to pay back per year. The amount that Gl*zer has had to borrow and pay back is far, far in excess of the revenues United brings in even in a good season.

And none of the "Gl*zer doesn't understand soccer" comments could be because of his failure to help MLS and the Mutiny now, could it? No, in fact we make the exact same comments about Anschutz and Hunt all the time, because they are also clueless Americans who don't understand soccer. Of course. :rolleyes:

Any why, might I ask, are those sources so one-sided to begin with? You're acting as though there is some hidden agenda, which again brings us back to claims of anti-Americanism. Perhaps you think the fancy, schmancy numbers are all a cover for Brits and their xenophobic fears? What exactly is weak about the numbers, if you've taken the time to examine them, that is?

Nor had Peter Ridsdale prior to, oh, 2002 or so. And yet the writing was on the wall there, much as it is here.

You know, I just have to inquire, what exactly is your repeated interest in defending Malcolm Gl*zer and his bid for Manchester United? Is it because he's American, and we "Eurosnobs" think "Yanks shouldn't be involved in football"? Or perhaps you're just a lawyer for the Gl*zer family. I'm just wondering what your underlying motive is here. Every week or so you seem to make the same comments, which are then refuted, before returning at a later date.

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, yeah maybe he can bring back the Tampa Bay Mutiny to the MLS....as long as he doen't force the city to build a new stadium for them too. :p

11. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    JFK to Manchester

Because United play in Manchester which is not in London..... ;)

Now those prices are about the same as it costs to go to Florida....

So yes it is reasonable....

But with the exchange rate and a price increase going to a match is becoming more and more expensive.....

BTW learn to use Big Soccer your little complaint went right to my rep genius.....

12. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    It's not anti-Americanism. It's just being against the fact that Glazer knows very little about history of the club itself, if not the game.

I think often people like you who come to this board claiming that we shouldn't be pissed off about the whole Glazer issue forget one important fact: even if he doesn't completely ruin the club, we will in no way be in a better position than we were without him. And we won't be for at least another fifteen years, and thats being wishful.

13. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I'm the one with the soccer ball explanation and guess what I'm AMERICAN...I did that because The Gayslurs have never shown any interest or knowledge of the game....Read the profile before stating Anti-Americanism as the reason we are against Gayslur..

Good try though...........

14. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
  16. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh, come now - this is rhetorically interesting, but completely irrelevant.

We're entitled to be upset, not because this isn't common business practice regarding all sorts of purchases, but because - irrespective of its utility to the buyer/seller - it has the potential to negatively impact fans.

I agree that some of the anti-Glazer sentiment is xenophobia. But not all of it. I'd welcome Bill Gates with open arms, personally (especially at this point!).

17. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, so, expect him back in about a week or so, making the exact same arguments then. :rolleyes:

18. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Anti-Americanism? Some. Anti-Semitism? Some. A bunch of unemployed yobs with nothing better to do than build barricades and cry when the police break it up? Yup.

You folks had your chance. How long was the club publicly held? If every anti-Glazer type had bought 500 shares (I'm assuming you folks on this board have jobs, but I could be wrong), the club could not have been purchased by Glazer, Murdoch, or anybody else. And before you ask-I bought 500 shares, just because I wanted to be a part of my favorite club. Did you?

So stop whining now. Glazer didn't cause the club to finish third (twice). Glazer didn't cause the club to exit the Champions League early (annual).

Unless some of you are secret billionaires or Wall Street financial analysts, why not give the family that is a little credit, and a little time. Stop your bitching.

19. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Without knowing what anyone else bought or what anyone elses situations may be, I don't think your qualified to tell people to stop bitching......

Some of us here may have bought and done more to stop this than you so as Eddie Murphy said......

Have a Coke and a Smile and Shut the FVCK up...................

20. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't act like the protest had much effect or purpose, other than ensuring the Gl*zers never show up at a match at Old Trafford. It's been pretty obvious for some time that they don't care what the fans think.

I owned many shares, personally, and I believe that the vast majority of the most ardent anti-Gl*zer folks did as well. Most of us went through Shareholders United.

He also had nothing to do with the successes of this club. Of course he may yet have something to do with its demise. Financial analysts have indeed taken a look at the buyout, and they're not exactly giving out rosy outlooks.

But you know, they're billionaires, they know what they're doing, they can't be bad folks, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

21. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Nope. None of you did anything. The club went public in the early 90s. Did you buy shares in the ensuing 15 years, or did you just wait until somebody smarter than you did, and then start buying t-shirts, and forming "supporters groups," and forming alternate United football clubs (if I wanted to watch amateurish soccer, I could watch MLS)?

Until Glazer actually does something to be upset about, enjoy the ride. MUFC has sucked before, and it had nothing to do with Glazer. Personally, if he sells a few underachievers (Saha, Kleberson, name a defender), I'll be happy with it, as long as he allows SAF to make smart acquisitions (assuming he can any more, which may be in doubt) to add to the club (other than just revenue producing buys, like Park).

22. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    What a load of bullsh1t.

Why the fvck don't you get the point? United without Glazer was just fine. We are now worse off with him, because in case you haven't registered it yet, we're in fvcking debt. You want to know the shortest time it will take to realistically pay off the debt? Fifteen goddamn years. Its not fvcking rocket science.

23. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not exactly sure what your goal is in coming here solely to make personal insults against the folks who frequent this forum. You've been a United fan for decades? Good for you, you're clearly better than all of us combined. Oh and you obviously know everything about all of us as well.

Lovely. We can just wait for us to go many seasons without winning the league again before criticizing Gl*zer. Sounds like a plan.

Assuming that's all...

24. JB41504

JB41504 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Detroit
    The cynicism is amazing to me. It doesn;t seem to me that he has any reason, financial or otherwise to say that for no reason. Maybe he was assured by his meeting. WHy is that so difficult to believe. Maybe Glazer will end up being good for the club. Nobody knows at this point. Do you honestly think his whole goal was to take over the club and run it into the ground?

By the way, I cannot believe that nobody has come on here condemning the hoodlums that are protesting and chanting "Die Glazer Die". I know they are passionate fans about their soccer club but it is under no circumstances, a reason to wish death upon someone.

25. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    Oh Puh-lease! Just shove your self-righteousness up your ass and piss off.