Glazer/United Continued Again

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by sarabella, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
  2. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    you are a party pooper Sara

must be all the drugs

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Put him in a body bag, yeah!"

Just thought this thread could use a Karate Kid reference.

4. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Glazers and angry fans story made it all the way to NPR (National Public Radio) here in the States this morning! The ManU plight is making its way around!

5. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Don't you mean this is the first time the Gl@zers EVER stepped foot in Manchester!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly one of more of the devil children will be on MUTV this Friday. Haven't seen that confirmed though.

7. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Hopefully the cameraman has one of those sniper rifles disguised as a camera.... ;)

8. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still amazed at the fact that the U.S. doesn't cover this story that much, even in the Tampa area where I live. Heh, most Buccaneer fans don't even know who Glazer is, they don't pay attention to the business side that much.

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd probably know who he was if he put their club into $1 billion of debt though.

10. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

That surprises me!!!! I know that up here in New York most fans are very knowledgeable about the owners of the Giants :D and

the jets :eek:

11. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They must be very popular people in some way over there. Most sports fans in America are casual fans. Meaning they go to or watch games, maybe pay attention to trades and draftees, and know the players/ coaches. But if you ask them who the owner is, they'll say something like "I heard his name before" or something to that effect. When I used to live in South Florida, Wayne Hiezinga(think that's how you spell it) was a popular figure so a lot of people knew who he was.

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, popular in a good way? I figured he'd be hated after dismantling the 1997 championship team.

13. JB41504

JB41504 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Detroit
    WHy does anyone care if Glazer buys the club? It isn't going to affect the team much if at all. If anything he will spend more money and continue the ManU tradition. It seems like there are a bunch of whiners in England who are just looking for any reason to protest.

14. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I remember that, too. Popular in both ways I guess. He did some good things and some bad things while being the owner of the Miami teams. Everybody knew it was coming since the beginning of the season so we were like "well we better win the WS at least. LOL, took us like 6 years to get back into the same form we were that season. :p

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got popular in a good way again after getting rid of late fees.

16. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh no, he's already put a cap on how much the club can spend on transfers. He turned a club that was in surplus into a club in dept by aquiring it, so he's raising ticket and merchandising prices to pay it off. But I saw in the news yesterday that season tickets sold out.

17. JB41504

JB41504 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Detroit
    It is his debt now. Whine whine whine.

18. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He owns fvcking Blockbuster, too??!!

19. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's raising the prices specifically to pay off those depts....wait a minute, weren't you red carded or something?

20. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, its the team's debt. Or did you miss the 700+ post thread that explains all this?

Reading is fundamental. :rolleyes:

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post was a joke...obviously....but yes, he did own Blockbuster until 1994, IIRC, when he sold it to Viacom.

22. JB41504

JB41504 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Detroit
    I'm new to this forum and maybe a little ignorant about the whole Glazer issue. But the point I am trying to make is that if it was a British guy buying the club, then there would not be all this controversy. Regardless of debt and cost of tickets and whatever other reasons people want to put out there, the reason the Brits are complaining is because he is AMERICAN. Flat out anti-americanism is the only reason that there are protesters.

Also, I am not going to go back and read all 700 posts. if I re-state something that has been already said, you are all perfectly capable of ignoring my post or pointing out the error(s) in my comments.

23. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, you didn't bother to read any of the reasons we have for opposing Gl*zer. Most of us on this board are Americans, and we still oppose him. You don't have to read the entire thread, but reading a few posts will give you the basic idea. It's all about the debt and what it will cost the team and the fans to pay if off. Your claims of xenophobia have nothing to do with it, and its personally offensive to those of us who have familiarized ourselves with the issues.

24. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been discussed in that 700 post thread. It's not anti-americanism, maybe a couple of people are like that but most are against him for the other reasons. Tim Howard is an American that plays for ManU and he doesn't get much flak just becasue of his nationality, just because he seems get scored on more than he should. :p

25. JB41504

JB41504 New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Detroit
    SO then what you are saying is that you would be opposed to anybody who bought the team. Oh OK.

By the way, if you are personally offended by something someone says on a message board then maybe you should engage in some self-analysis. Don't take yourself, your posts or your soccer club so seriously.

You are in the states, right? WHat do you care if they raise ticket prices? They've already sold out the season tickets (I've read on this forum) so apparently enough of the fans don't care about the price. the games will still be sold out and if they are not, rest assured, my friend, that they will lower the prices. That's the way it works.