Glass Dragons Still Breathe Fire - The Gareth Bale Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We broke the record for a player in the final contract year as well. Universally, including every club worldwide. Hazard is the most expensive player to be out of a contract in a season ever.

What's the relative scale on that?

2. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Btw Bale was awful in the Le decima final. Literally missed shot after shot we should have won that game in regular time if he was half decent.

thankfully he redeemed himself with the header at the end. I’ll always be appreciative of that.

Halycon repped this.
  3. Whiteboard

Whiteboard Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #5103 Whiteboard, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    It's the same really. Madridista_hr is 100% correct. It's all relative.
    There's been a tremendous amount of inflation over the last years.(
    PL 5 billion tv deal and teams like City and PSG injecting "oil money" into football)

There's a lot more money in football then there used to be yet the amount of quality players hasn't increased the same way.
    Not even close to the same growth, so it makes sense that quality players have gotten more expensive. and yes that includes players that only have a year left.

In fact it's actually something i expect to see more and more of. Top players running out their contracts because their clubs are so financially comfortable that they don't see any real incentive to sell their top player.

Just look at the Mbappe situation. If he has any hope of leaving he's going to have to run out his contract till he has just a year left and then we're still going to have to pay a record breaking amount of money to get him. Just the way the market has evolved and i don't see it improving anytime soon.

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's all relative but "transfers got pretty expensive didn't they?" is dressing it up nicely, while it's both a fact that he's the most expensive Real Madrid transfer ever and the most expensive player to ever be sold in his final contract year.

5. Whiteboard

Whiteboard Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not dressing anything up. I'm just explaining how the transfermarket has evolved and what effect it had on Hazard's transfer fee.
    Since you seemed rather agitated by it all.
    If it's any consolation, chances are high that in the next couple of years Hazard will neither be our most expensive transfer nor the most expensive player in his final contract year.

6. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    lol you really wanna argue wether Hazard on his prime isnt/wasn't better than Bale?

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If it was, he wasted it because what Bale has done (CL finals goals, CDR final goal vs Barca) completely eclipses his achievements so far.

People can bring up his world cup performance as well, but even there Modric leapfrogged him to secure the Balon d'Or.

It's like making the argument that Aduriz has been a better player than Benzema because he always outscored him but overall Benzema's career completely destroys Aduriz's

8. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are you that simple?

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As I said, in strict performance over an entire career = Aduriz > Benzema, but we all know who took advantage of his peak the most.

Right now Hazard is one of the most brutal cases of underachieving in his generation.

10. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    99% of the ppl will choose Hazard in a draft. Which prices Arbeloa or Bale has won with Madrid doesn't really matter. Hazard never got in that position to begin with. So stop making these stupid comparisons without any context. Just rate the players based on their skills and their impact on the team. only a buffoon would choose Bale.

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Right now, sure, but there definitely was a time where it wasn't as clear.
    So Aduriz is a better player than Benzema? Or how about Cavani?

It's the exact same thing Zidane argued with Lineker about by the way. That Benzema is simply good because he's in Madrid.

12. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How?

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hazard has been voted Premier league player of the season once. (2014) Bale won it twice. (2011,2013)

Just as an example.

People forgot how explosive this guy was all those years ago.

14. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ... still no context. I will leave it just like this, no point arguing with you.

15. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Barca are going to be allowed to sign a player outside the transfer window, hope they sign bale!

16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Context in what? Hazard’s greatest individual achievement was the pfa award. Bale is ahead both in individual awards and trophies.

Did Hazard miss out by wasting his prime going from coach to coach in London? Maybe, but nobody cares.

17. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There is no point arguing with someone who thinks Bale is better than hazard. Or you are heavily biased or you just don’t understand the game that well. As i said i’ll leave it here.

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We're comparing their peak/prime, not the current state of affairs, I made that clear.

19. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes their peak prime. Still a silly statement to make especially backed up with non arguments like individual awards. Both players were competing with different players and teams. It’s the same as saying Valdés was better than Iker because he won more individual awards.

watch both players with your eyes OPEN. Maybe that will help.

20. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Hazard gets clear edge in technical capacity and creativity. He also has better 1v1 play. As for goals. Bale has better career highs, but still Hazard can come close to that numbers.

The only issue with Hazard being his age. Other than that, i would pick Hazard over Bale any day of the week. Especially in Spain.

p.s: It is strange to pull out trophies, considering it would make Lucas Vasquez basically the best winger out there besides CR7 and Bale.

21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bale has also won more individual awards. Two PFA Player of the year awards vs Hazards one. I believe Hazard won it after Bale left to join Madrid.

Hazard had a much longer peak, but the Bale that destroyed Inter in the CL and Barca in the cup final was a machine. A brutal display of force.

It just feels like its an eternity away.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The people that watched them in the Premier league probably watched them with their eyes closed.

23. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Even BPL pundits admit Hazard is the better play they saw in thePL

24. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Last goal scored at home -337 days ago [emoji2358]