GK debate [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by DutchFootballRulez, Sep 5, 2003.

1. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I read that in spanish sources, hate to say it but.... I told ya! it was a matter of time to get leaked to the media! I insist, im not bashing Valdes but I'd do exactly the opposite than FR, Valdes for Copa del Rey, Rustu for league and Uefa Cup, he's 20 y/o for God's sake! let him develop and let the master show the path to follow!

3. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Is sarcasm what I feel in your post?

4. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    in case you dont remember (or you didnt follow FCB just yet) Gramanet, a 3rd division team kicked us out of the Copa del Rey last season, that's why I said Enke pulled a Gramanet when he rescinded his contract with the turks, he's to blame for a crappy performance!

5. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    New Barcelona goalkeeper Rustu Recber has expressed his surprise at coach Frank Rijkaard putting him on the bench for the opening two games of the season.

"It is not normal to be a substitute because you can't speak Spanish," he said.

"This was the justification that the coach gave me for giving the starting role to Valdes.

"I'll have to accept it, but it's difficult to take given what he has said."

He added in reference to his failure to speak Spanish: "In the world of football there is a universal language, but I don't want to cause a problem.

"However, if there is another problem I would like the coach to tell me."

The Turk insisted he would stay and fight for his place.

6. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Rustu regret over Barca switch

Rustu Recber insists he would never have signed for Barcelona in the summer if he had known he was not going to be first-choice.
    The Turkish international custodian has found himself playing second fiddle to youngster Victor Valdes at Camp Nou this term, and is growing increasingly frustrated at his situation.

The 30-year-old explained that he was persuaded to join Barca after a conversation with president Joan Laporta in which he was assured of a place in the team.

"For this reason (talking to Laporta) I signed, because I was thinking about playing for a club like Barcelona," stated the former Fenerbahce star.

However, manager Frank Rijkaard opted initially to play Valdes, after claiming Rustu's inability to speak Spanish could cause communication problems in his team's backline, and has stuck by the young custodian ever since.

"All players want to play when they arrive at a team and I don't believe anybody would sign for a team if they knew they were not going to play," continued Rustu.

"I am a professional though and at the moment the manager is using this system and I must respect it."

The Turk, who was recently linked with a loan move to Galatasaray, concedes that he will consider his future in Spain if he does not force his way into Rijkaard's plans soon as he fears not playing could endanger his place in the Turkey side, especially with next summer's Euro 2004 finals in mind.

"I am thinking about the national team. If the team qualify for the European Championships I can see the danger of not playing.

"I am going to wait as long as possible in order to try everything, and when I get an opportunity I shall try to do well to succeed in this team.

"It's not in my hands however, but in the manager's.

"It would not be right to put a date on it (how long before I would move), and what's more it's not right to focus on whether or not I'm playing, but on the team as a whole because we are not on the right road at present."

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rustu's Time Could Be Up At Barca

This from SoccerAge.com:

10/24/2003. Out-of-favour Barcelona goalkeeper Rustu Recber has threatened to quit the Catalan club unless his situation improves.

The Turkish number one was signed from Fenerbahce in the summer, but instead of playing a leading role, he's found himself constantly on the bench, with Victor Valdes preferred.

"If by the turn of the year I am not a regular with Barca, then I will ask to be allowed to leave," he said yesterday.
    SA Europe

8. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Sometimes I have a feeling that if the board bring some good player coach or some other factor dont like him??!! Not just a new signing but also team players (Rivaldo, Guardiola, Anderson...) There are some things I will never understand. Perhaps I support wrong club???