Girl Wants To Start Caucasian Club At High School (now known as "Portugal MNT Sucks")

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by quicksand, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Raj

Raj New Member

Oct 3, 1999
    East Kilbride, Scotl
    Surely that is the point then.
    These issues should be integrated into the curriculum so that when these periods of history are mentioned the racial aspects are mentioned as well. To separate them into a separate month is surely simple ghettoisation.

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lonely chubby girl desperate for attention?

Just a thought.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Any volunteers to f*** her and put an end to this madness?

4. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    We are so concerned with race in the US that we invented our own, "Hispanic". I sometimes laugh when they say on tv that someone looks hispanic. Most people that are considered hispanic here are really people that are a mix of 2 different races,either black or white, indian and white, etc. there are hispanics that are white, hispanics thst are black, american indian, or of mix race. Many actually prefer the word latino/a to hispanic. Technically a hispanic club is not a racial club.
    That said why have these types of clubs in schools in the first place, aren't schools suppose to bring students together, not seperate them?

5. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Sure? :)

http://www.hyw.com/books/history/Langobar.htm

Real Italy meaning all Italy, from Alps to Sicily, is the result of a big mix of different ppls and cultures in the centuries. Latins, celts (northern italy was a celtic region), greeks (Southern Italy -> Magna Graecia, you could say that some of the great greeks were italians for example Archimedes), arabs, germans, normans etc. etc.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true. Germans are not so different from northern Italians, but they're quite a bit different from southern Italians and Sicilians.

However, my point stands. Even some sort of "European culture" club would still be bogus, since no such thing exists.

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to disagree with that. White middle-class America has a distinct culture, one that's omnipresent and often unremarkable. Britney Spears, Madonna and The Eagles are all part of white culture. Whether it's worth celebrating or not is debatable, but it grates on me when people say "there's no such thing as white culture." There is - Americana, apple pie, the star spangled banner, etc etc. That's what white middle class, be they of Spanish, Irish, Italian, German, English, etc etc etc decent list as their own, what they value more than any tenuous and dimly remembered relation to the land of their ancestors.

If this girl wants to celebrate and study that she should honestly just join the history club. Most high schools have one of those.

I think that's pigheaded and wrong of you. I grant that she's obviously doing it for attention and when she hears "Molly Maguires" she probably thinks it's the pub where her parents met, but "Racist N****r-haters" does not automatically follow the words "Caucasian Club", just because most groups that pawn themselves off as "White Clubs" are actually hate groups like the KKK.

Frankly, I think a club that seriously studies "white" American history will do her, you, and most of the rest of the posters on this board a truckload of good if for no other reason than to learn - really learn - from a myriad of mistakes.

EDIT: So, I forgot to put my conclusion, which is that I support her right to have the club, under the same guidelines as other clubs in the school. I can't support rules that would argue against people having a chance to learn their history - and no "Pan-European Club" is going to do that. Her Caucasian Club probably won't either, but she should be given the opportunity to try.

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Okay in theory, Matrim, but I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess that Clubby Girl isn't thinking of studying the intricate ways that WASP colonists gradually accepted and assimilated various other European cultures and religious groups, the reasons why some were accepted more readily than others, and why still others were never accepted or assimilated, as well as the differences between "white American" culture and "American" culture, as well as where they intersect, and how "white American" culture grew differently from other cultures in Europe, Canada, Australia, and other English-speaking nations, and how slavery brought a sense of "white" consciousness that reverberated in largely negative ways in post-Civil War America right down to our time, or how because of American race relations studying "white American" culture in a vacuum is impossible because there has never been a separation of "mainstream" America from "white" America.

It sounds more like to me she's just being a smarmy neo-con idiot.

Just a crazy hunch.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan, it sounds that way to me as well. But I'm not willing to deny her freedoms just because it doesn't sound like it'll end all happy hunky-dory.

Put another way: A soccer team called "Chicago Fire" was once created. Two years previous, a soccer team called "DC United" was created. This establishes a trend that soccer teams are evil. Should we allow no further creation of soccer teams?

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, "I'm certainly not going to f*** the fat little dork, so just let her have her club so she'll shut up already."

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly. But - to paraphrase Aaron Sorkin, who I parrot for most of my political views - I'm not willing to legislate against how people think.

I'm curious to see what a godless liberal feminazi Jew like yourself makes of the whole thing (besides a chubby teenage girl mistaking "attention" for "love").

12. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    How come anytime someone discusses European history words like "WASP" (as if all europeans are anglo saxon protestants) and "mistake" come up. It seems to me that if you are white, you are a racist and you should read Zinn 24/7 so you can recognize your evil and despicable past.

Basically, if you deny the fact that europeans have a history and several cultures you can eat me.

Everyone on this planet has a past worth studying and talking about. And they should be allowed to do so without callous stereotyping and mean spirited rhetoric.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because WASPs created the largest empire the world has ever known, and held its reins until the middle of the last century.

Maybe because WASPs founded and, to this day, still basically run this country.

Maybe because you're a paranoid freak.

That's your paranoia speaking again, Manny. Seek help.

It seems to me that you feel all white people should deny that their ancestors could have ever, under any circumstances, committed evil and despicable acts.

And here's where you lose the argument, moron. If Europeans have "several" cultures, then what good would one umbrella-shaped "Caucasian Club" do? If you want to celebrate the various cultures, join the Italian Club, the Greek Club, the Irish Club, and the f***ing Avar Club.

The club she's talking about deals with the shared experience of white Americans. It's a totally different thing than "celebrating" your "european" culture, Mrs. Refinstahl.

Or total non-sequiturs at the end of their horrible posts on bigsoccer.com.

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, I'm sick of all the movies and television programs and political representatives and corporate CEOs and United States Presidents and Playboy centerfolds and country music artists that sit around all day bashing my culture and making me feel ashamed of being white.

15. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much stated what I make of the whole thing. Look at the girl. She wears red-rimmed glasses with no lenses. She's a girl in search of an identity.

She looks around at her classmates, and many of them get automatic membership in certain groups, and their group membership gets officially recognized and even applauded by the school. And she feels left out. That's what it boils down to. She feels left out. She wants to belong to something too.

Her problem would be easily solved if she had chosen almost any other name for her club. As suggested above, she could have gone for "the European Culture Society." How about "the Cultural Diversity Club?"

Generally speaking, these clubs aren't about learning history or celebrating culture. They're a place for kids to get together and say to each other, "yeah, I've been through that too." All she needs is a group of peers who can say "yeah, all these ethnic clubs make me feel left out too."

And in the end, this will fizzle away, as she realizes that running a student club requires a lot of time and effort. Kind of like exercising and dieting. The other students will lose interest and the club will fade away. I give it two months tops.

16. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the study of the culture of people running the country, the values of the people who founded the country, has everything to do with nothing?

Christ on a crutch, Manny, do you even know that words mean things?

Studying the negative as well as the positive aspects of a culture is hardly "pinning it all on one demographic". Of course I wouldn't want to upset your delicate continence, so we'll just drop the subject and pretend that "Manifest Destiny" was a policy without fault.

That makes less sense, you jackass. Unless you think that I have more in common with a mid-20s fisherman in Naples than I do with the Smiths up the street or the Zellers down the block because my grandmother's maiden name was "Pagano."

What, exactly, is an Italian or Irish Club supposed to teach me about being American? Or of my American ancestors, and our shared experience? I'll tell you what: Jack and squat.

And it's disgusting that you can't differentiate between that. I've no doubt that you see all white people, by whatever definition you use, as "friends" and all "other" people as enemies.

You're the one stereotyping whites, jackass. And if you looked up about four posts you'd see I support the forming of a "caucasian" club specifically because people like you can't tell the difference between shared race, shared culture and shared ancestry.

18. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    This is the kind of *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# that makes you look beyond foolish.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're getting hysterical again Manny. Nobody on this thread has said anything remotely like that.

20. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    This is very much her freedom to swing her fist lasting until it hits someone else's chin.

The principal, administrators, and school boards have every right to say "We are not going to sponsor something called the Caucasian/White Club. Pick another name or sue us." The club she says she wants to start and the name she came up for it are totally different things. Why this school, which apparently has had more than its share of racial issues, should be obliged to indulge this girl's plea for attention is completely beyond me.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure is, but that's a slippery slope to argue on legal or even moral grounds. Using your reasoning, Dan:

- Every Muslim charity, club or mosque is a threat
    - Every Christian charity, club or church is a threat
    - Every Jewish charity, club or synogogue is a threat

I'm not going to deny this girl her right to free assembly because of some whack-jobs in the south. I know you're familiar with the conclusory phrase "...then the terrorists have already won."

On what grounds? That being white is a threat to other people? They'd better have some damn good lawyers or a damn biased jury to pull that one off.

Either way I'd hope the ACLU would come in on her behalf, but there's a better chance of President Bush proving the unified field theory than there is of that happening.

It's her Constitutional right to make a jackass of herself no matter how suspicious of her motives/intents you are.

Now, if she wanted to form the whatever-city-she's-from chapter of the KKK, or the Hell's Angels, or even the Weathermen; or she wanted to make her club exclusive; or she wanted to trumpet the superiority of the white race and the inferiority of others, then you'd have a case. But as it is you're talking about legislating against what someone thinks, and that's as dangerous a precedent as there is.

22. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Because it takes a village?

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just curious, but does anyone who advocates studying more about the negative aspects of european culture think that the negative aspects of all other cultures should be covered too? Should black history month (I still find that amazing) or Asian history month or whatever also be teaching about the less pleasant contributions other races have made to the society people live in today?

24. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    No, quite the opposite. I'm not legislating what she thinks, but what she's saying.

She's calling it a Caucasian/White Club. There's plenty of history behind clubs with that kind of name, all of it bad. There's more than a reasonable assumption that a club with that kind of name is bad news. If she's serious about learning white history, she can consider this Lesson #1.

So she can take the extra five minutes and think of a better name, one that more accurately represents what she says she wants to do - or she can go form a club outside school grounds.

I wouldn't let a group of World War II enthusiasts call themselves the Nazi Club, either.