Girl Wants To Start Caucasian Club At High School (now known as "Portugal MNT Sucks")

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by quicksand, Sep 20, 2003.

1. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Girl Wants To Start Caucasian Club At High School

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/living/education/6791356.htm
    Ok, yeah, I know white people have been *#*#*#*#*#*#*#s in relation to peoples of other ethnicities, but is "white" or "Caucasian" associated with racial bigotry, especially anymore?

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ahhh, the unintended consequences of too much diversity. How will the Lesbian Eskimo Club get funding when this Caucasian Club looks for money?

3. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    We have a Minority Council at our school. I have absolutely no problem with that but good Lord. A Caucasian Club? I wouldn't join b/c it seems like it would end up along the lines of the KKK and I know of several kids that would make it go that way.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But a black girl & a hispanic girl in the article didn't have a problem with the Caucasian Club. It's the adults who organize these "diversity" clubs who have a problem with it. If they want these clubs in schools they have to be prepared when a girl like this wants to start a club of her own.

5. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    At my school, every club must be sponsored by a teacher and the club must be approved by the school board. If a Caucasian Club was desired we could probably get it but there would be a lot of kids who have problems with it and a lot of kids would also approve it although few would actually join.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Why the hell is it ok to have a BLACK or Hispanic clubs but not WHITE? I was part of a hispanic club club in college once all we did was talk about hispanic stuff, there was no plan to go kill 'whitey', so why would it be any different for white people? Why is it everytime white people get together everyone thinks they are plotting to keep us down? Maybe they just want to learn about their own heritage more like us hispanic and blacks do, is there anything worng with that?

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United FC STILL USOC Champs
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...and this bird yew can not chaaaaaange
    no, this bird yew can not chaaaaaange
    no, this bird yew can not chay-yange
    Lawd knows, Ah cain't chay-yay-yay-yay-yaynge...

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So what's the result of all of these ethnic "clubs"? Do you feel that it brings students of many different backgrounds together (like sports) or does it divide the students even more? The article seemed to imply that the kids in that girl's school are even more racially divided and suspicious of each other.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well of course. If it's ok for one group to have its club it only follows that all should have the same opportunity. I don't know if all of these clubs unite a public school when the goal is for teenagers to, #1 - learn something, and #2 - learn to get along with each other better. The ethnic clubs at my college self-segregated and it started to look like the Old South. The difference there is that the students were all over 18 and could be free to join whatever group they wanted. High schoolers are subject to different sets of rules.

BTW - Martin Luther King Jr. is turning over in his grave.

10. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    I've seen African American clubs and Asian clubs and Hispanic clubs in High School. But god forbid the multi-culturalists be consistant.....that would be asking too much.

11. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's just me... but the term "Caucasian Club" does not sit well with me. Specifically because there is no single "white heritage" - except in the minds of racists.

If it was a club celebrating "European Culture" it wouldn't quite have a negative connotation. You can't tell me there aren't schools out there that have a German club, French club, etc.?

There are certainly clubs and organizations out there promoting English, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, German, Italian, Scandinavian etc. cultures and nobody has a problem with any of those. But I'm not so sure about a pan-European "Caucasian" club...

So why for the other ethnicities/races might a pan-whatever approach be all right? Obviously the vast majority of African-Americans have no idea where their slave ancestors are from, hence "black" clubs/organizations, etc.

Hispanics/Latinos and Asians do tend to have clubs & groups specifically of people of their own background, (Mexican/Salvadoran/Japanese/Vietnamese/Filipino etc.). Multi-ethnic Latino or Asian groups tend to focus on specific issues or interests.

12. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    What club should a White , Hispanic (Spaniard) european -european culture club join?

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United FC STILL USOC Champs
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    God forbid you refrain from lumping all "multiculturalists" into one "everything but White" group. I'm not so much opposed to as amused by this kid's push for a White (but not Whites only) studies/history/whatever club, considering the default setting for American curricula is White/European.

It's not like people of color haven't spent decades trying to assimilate, but there's always a wall at some point. The pot's contents aren't totally blended. That's why the other clubs exist. Black History Month wouldn't have ever been proposed if it had been taught as an integral part of American history. Fact is, people of color are accepted to a degree, no argument- but even when its 99.44%, that .56 seems to creep up when you least expect it. White students don't have that experience.

You know, it would be nice to wake up one morning and know that the majority will look at me and simply see another American. But every day, someone -maybe just one person, but it's usually more- sees a Black man. I quit hoping for the best a long time ago.

14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    The same reason we don't have a White History Month; the same reason Men's Studies as an academic discipline is even more ridiculed than Women's Studies; the same reason there's no Caucasian Food aisle in your local supermarket; the same reason there's no such thing as the United Whitey College Fund; etc.

15. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh... maybe I should ask my Portuguese co-worker? :confused:

16. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL :D

17. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    There is a White History Month. It's the other 9 months of the year.

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That was a pretty good movie, actually.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    We do, it's the month of the NHL playoffs.

Why shouldn't I be able to get a degree for drinking beer and watching football?

I don't know, I've never seen a black guy eating a Pop-Tart.

Ever heard of NCAA golf scholarships?

20. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that white/Caucasian people don't have to deal with any racism at all? That people don't ever look at a white person and see him/her not as an American but as a white person?

21. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Well-played!

22. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem is that these groups tend to get taken over by more radical elements. For example, Black Clubs getting taken over by those who preach the 'Black Power' theology and the idea that the "Man is keeping us down".

Such clubs, in my opinion, create more racial/ethnic tensions that helps subside them.

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Holy gawd almighty- Alex actually scripted a radical post.

24. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we all know that The Man has kept white unemployment and poverty rates so high in this country, so if some young 'uns can band together and create some positive self-identity for themselves in the face of such adversity surrounding their obvious whiteness, I have no problems with that.

:rolleyes:

As with so many other issues like this, there's a big difference between can do something and should do something. Most people who celebrate the absurdist concept of a "white" culture do so with iron crosses and seig heil salutes.

25. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Why is the concept of a 'white' culture any more ridiculous than the concept of a 'black' culture? Not everyone in the US is a second generation American. There are plenty of white people who have no idea where their ancestors came from. The only thing they have is the skin colour that gives away their European roots.

Personally, I find the idea of any ethnic/cultural club dumb. It's voluntary segregation.