Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by arsenal55, Mar 29, 2006.

1. arsenal55

arsenal55 New Member

May 7, 2004
    Chicago
    why did we get rid of him? He is a talented, young FB that would have done well with Arsenal. Was it financial? Is he still on loan? I need some answers. If he's a Barca starter, he could start for our Gunners.

2. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sold him to Barca to smooth over the Cesc transfer, pretty damn good for us if you ask me. I don't mind Gio but we already have Cole, Clichy, and now Flamini at LB so it's not a need.

3. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His actual position is actually a CM. He's also not that young. He's 31 this year.

4. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    He was woeful when he played at full back for us although I did like him in midfield.

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought he did well for us in the midfield too, it was a shame he got that bad injury when he did. His performances at left-back left a hell of a lot to be desired though.

6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was always injured and wasn't close to holding down a regular place in the squad. He was a back up at CM, LM, and LB. His time at Arsenal never really worked out, and i wouldn't say he's been missed. It's good that his career has revived at Barca, but i don't think anyone would argue that letting him go was a mistake.

7. fitz06

fitz06 New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Manchester, England

actually we nicked cesc cos barca still owed us overmars money. :cool:

8. fitz06

fitz06 New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Manchester, England
    not to mention armand traore who's pretty tasty at LB

9. Bucks Gunner

Bucks Gunner Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    He was on the training table more than Saha.

10. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aliadiere holds the title though.

11. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    There are lots of left backs out there who are better than him. The fact that Barca can do well even with a mediocre left back and a horrible goalkeeper shows how good they are.

12. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I thought Cesc came over for a song because he was too young at Barca to sign pro papers and we only had to pay fifa's "development" fees, but I could very well be wrong.

Gio is the reason why I don't think the "old firm" would ever make it in the premiership. He was a pretty important player for Rangers but never got close to a starting spot for us. As others have said, he was a very useful utility player, but that wasn't good enough for him so he did the logical thing and left us for the biggest Dutch team that would take him.

13. Carded out of Play

Carded out of Play New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    As I remember, he provided some much-needed creativity in cm in 01/02, as everyone else went down injured. In Jan/Feb 02, if I recall correctly, he was running the game down the middle and doing pretty well.

When more first-choice midfielders came back, he willingly played an unnatural position, and while he wasn't great, I remember thinking he was giving his all.

So yes, he'll be remembered as a utility player and a less than competent fullback, but he had a run of form where he held the midfield together as well, and that's what I'd like to remember.

Plus, he got as much of his name as he could onto his shirt, not just this gio business...

14. arsenal55

arsenal55 New Member

May 7, 2004
    Chicago
    ok now i see the reasons.

im so excited for our team's future. SOO much young talent, most of which is already playing well and ONLY going to get better :D

15. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    van Bronckhorst's PR guy must have specifically instructed him to eliminate his last name entirely, and a large portion of his first name to boot--> since he went off to Barca Land, he has, apparently for some time now, been simply known as "Gio".

Now rechistened with a more flashy moniker, he can now fool people into contemplating his otheriwse non-existant Brasillian roots and, consequently, instantly give his game a style, flair and bounce it had always lacked....

16. Aussie_gunner_14

Aussie_gunner_14 New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Adelaide
    The life story of Giovanni Van bronckhorst my friends, or who we should now refer to him as the dutch come brazillian, "gio":D

17. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    GvB is a great player as of today.. He plays a very big part for Barca, as I'm an avid Barca fan... obviously not close to how much I love Zvezda or Arsenal, but I've always loved their style, even before Ronnie. And to be honest GvB is one 'elluva back for the Catalans. It just gets me thinking... of what could've been had he stayed... you know?:rolleyes:

18. Bucks Gunner

Bucks Gunner Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Probably in the reserves. He certainly had no chance at LB, and if he had any chance at CM, he would have been displaced by Cesc.

19. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Have you seen him play for Barca??

20. Bucks Gunner

Bucks Gunner Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Like I said, I don't think any 31 yo journeyman player is going to displace Ashley Cole or Cesc Fabregas. Hence, he would likely be in our reserves. When he played for Arsenal, he had a hard time getting into the lineup (when he was healthy) in the prime of his career.

21. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I would argue that he is in his best form ever. If I'm not mistaken he does start for Van Basten and the Dutch thus he's changed. Every time I see him he is better. I mean allowing 1 goal to Chelsea over two legs isn't bad....

GvB in my opinion wouldnt've started over Cole, but I think he would be starting now... and if he was still around and Cole leaves at the end of this season (I hate saying that) you would think he would've come in handy to nourture Clichy and Flamini a bit more... that's just my opinion.

22. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    That is the whole point, he would not have started in front of Cole and he would be sitting on the benches if Cole was fit. True, Cole is out right now, but during the time Cole was fit for the past few years he would have been picking splinters from his backside.

23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but is Gio even the first choice LB at Barca? I thought that Sylvinho and he were pretty much interchangable.

24. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's done well at Barca, and I'm always happy to see our old players do well (except against us!!). He had some problems breaking in here, but played well and worked hard when he was in. Our first choice MF at the time was just too strong to break into, and we also had Edu riding the pine already-just no room in the lineup for him.