Giovanni “Gio” Reyna US National Team Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP, It really doesn’t seem like our Federation in the US is doing much to build much of anything

Guinho and Master O repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Let GB decide whether he still wants to play 10 passes along and inside his penalty box to start every attack. If "yes" keep the kid away from him. Gio was very good at U-17 quals
    and absolutely anonymous at the WC as by that time Wicky managed to implement "the system".

3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is on the egg incapable of change. This is the 'style'. We're stuck with it as long as the incompetence is in charge of the USSF.

Guinho repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    From the latest Jesse Marsch interview "We want to play fast and vertically".
    GB might respond "And we don't, we are the new better Barca".

gunnerfan7, DHC1 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Week in and week out I yell at my television when a team takes the ball away and proceeds to pass the ball around the back instead of immediately pressing forward. Unless you have a lead and are looking to kill the clock a team should be trying to break as much as they can... particularly when the ball is turned over as the other team is often out of position. It drives me nuts. I watch so much soccer and it seems like half the time is spent kicking the ball back and forth between the defenders and the holding midfielders. Obviously you can't play vertical and fast every time you have the ball... but a team should aspire to as much as possible IMO.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The nats need to leave him alone until he's settled at BvB. Take him away while he breaking through, you break his stride and he's struggling when he returns to the club, which is a bad thing for his nats future. Call him in this summer, maybe, just for a look around in training. Mostly, let him rest this summer, though.
    Now, this changes if in the next month he becomes a monster, is sitting on 5 goals and 10 assists and his name is preprinted on the team sheet, then fine, he's fully adapted to the professional game.

striker and Thundering165 repped this.
  7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    While calling players up to the national team can hurt there integration into the team it can also improve their standing if they ball out during international duty. Also having a national team cap can improve his reputation, either way Reyna going to the u17 WC didnt hurt him one bit in Dortmund's path for him.

8. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I think of this too, especially after listening to a pod with Daryl Morey, the Rockets GM. It was either on a Simmons' pod, or more likely, Men in Blazers, but they asked him about how he'd change soccer (he's a big fan), and it was pretty interesting, but also a bit wild.

Said his team would literally never pass the ball backwards. Maybe he was being a bit excessive, but it makes sense. Sure, maybe if you're Barca and you can control the ball 90% of the game. But when I see the US team do it (we are RECYCLING POSSESSION lol), it seems like such a waste. So instead of having the ball 20 yards from the opposition's goal, it's better to pass all the way back to Aaron Long?

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Oh gawd, it's backkkkkkk...the "Let him SETTLE IN" brigade. Praise be to Brucie Arena for letting Mckennie and Jon Gonzalez SETTLE IN, instead of integrating better players into his team and, ya know, not missing the WC.

As long as this kid is on the first team of Dortmund, he needs to be in every US camp from now on.

There is simply zero proof that "SETTLING IN" is in any way beneficial. As the next poster said, who's to say he doesn't dominate US camp, return with supreme confidence, and get into the starting lineup?

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m prepared either way.

If he’s called in: Gio should boycott the NT until Berhalter is gone.

If he’s not called in: Berhalter is biased against the Bundesliga.

majspike, tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Close...if he's not called in - Egg is a genius, he's allowing Reyna to SETTLE IN! If he did call him in, Reyna's career would likely be destroyed before even turning 18. Go Egg!!!

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He hasn't actually accomplished anything yet.
    He's on the verge of maybe doing something cool. But he has not yet reached that point, and pulling him out for pointless friendlies is counter productive. the teens who light up national side teams get called in when they're already tearing things up. Let him get to that point first, then introduce distractions.
    His career is, pretty much entirely, about club. Club matters more than country.

ttrevett repped this.
  13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    didnt hurt pulisic.

he has already accomplished more than the crap Berhalter keeps calling in. do you think Roldan is breaking into BVB's team?

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    that’s not the point at all.

We want Reyna to secure a firm spot at BVB and if having him miss a camp or two could help that (and it conceivably could) that could very well be the right thing.

it’s a balancing act here and Berhalter has blown the benefit of the doubt but the concept of leaving him with club to secure a spot is reasonable.

at its simplest level, who’s going to make him better: a friendly USMNT camp or BVB.

mschofield repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The point is it disnt hurt Pulisic. The March friendlies are in Europe. Why would he skip those to stay at Dormund when most of his teammates will be away?

Namdynamo and Patrick167 repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    its a conceptual point rather than about March. If it’s an international break, I’d bring him unless BVB really complained. If they did, I’d think really hard.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We have Europe-based camps in the spring (against Holland and Wales)
    I have no issues if Berhalter wants to bring in Europe-based youngsters like Gio, Indy, Mendez, Ledezma, Gloster, Uly, Richards, etc. to fill out the back of that roster. They don't even have to play. Its just to get a taste of a USMNT camp, and maybe one or two get a garbage time cap.

I always think to myself "what would Uruguay do?"
    Would Uruguay call up Gio Reyna or Corey Baird to this type of roster? We know the answer.

This really isn't all that big of a deal. If Berhalter calls him in, great. If not, and he has to wait a little while.........that's great too. People really shouldn't be worked up about this one way or the other.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    given the imbalance of last year’s rosters and the fact that this camp is in Europe, i think it would be a very big deal if Berhalter filled the roster with the usual plebeian MLS players.

I don’t think he will have more than 1/3 from MLS and that will make me happy as well as allowing the usual suspects to write: “see I told you there was no bias”. All good all the way around.

Patrick167 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Worth noting that the 2020 CONCACAF U23 Championships are in March, which are the qualifiers for the Olympics. The USSF has been aiming to get the best possible team to that event.

We won't get our best team, but some of the youngsters that aren't in first teams (Mendez, Ledezma, Richards, Gloster, and company) may get released. In other words, they may be there instead of with the USMNT for the Euro-based friendlies in March.

Also worth noting that the CONCACAF U20 Championships are in June. So if players like Reyna, Vassilev, etc. want to be part of that team, they may be at a U20 camp in March.

So we'll see.

20. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Could it also conceivably help him earn a starting spot in Germany after tearing up a US camp and friendlies, and returning to Dortmund full of confidence?

Do you, or does anyone else, have facts/stats/proof that leaving a player to SETTLE IN, helps said player earn first team minutes? Or does anyone have proof that calling in a player destroys said player's career?

If not, he should be with the US team every single camp unless Dortmund specifically requests that he remain. This idea that you all think he needs to "accomplish something" (like earning mins for dortmund isn't that), before he gets into the US squad is ridiculous. He is likely already one of our best 11 players, and should be treated as such.

What had LD accomplished before his call-up to the US team prior to WC 02?

Patrick167 repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Do you even read BS? The concept that I think that someone has to earn major league first team minutes in order to get a look at the USMNT is, quite frankly, ludicrous. There are plenty of posters who are pissed at me for repeatedly stating the opposite.....

It may not be dumb to leave one of our best eleven players with his club, if that's what both the club and player want. Simple as that.

22. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll bet anyone a Six pack of their choice that Reyna gets his first cap in 2020

23. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    In possession what they want to do is have 2 in the wide areas, two in the halfspaces, and 1 in box and then 2 or 3 in the central mid to stop counters, make plays from deep, and make late runs.

The problem people have when trying to see who should play where is that does not have to be the same in the other phases of the game.

In transition- its a straight up 433. With 2 wide wingers, 2 8/10 guys, and a 6/ passing player.

What you want in the possession set up from the roles and what you want from the transition system in those roles can be different.

So if they think they are going to spend a lot of time in transition (countering) and a lot of time in defense- then it makes sense to put Pulisic wide and guys like Morris - because in transition they are going to attack with speed and be the first to get into the box.

But in the possession set up- the width is all about crosses and opening up space of the guys in the halfspace. GB put Morris in there to run that half space channel because he didn't have a creator type. The preference in that half space channel are players like Pulisic and Gio. Creative players who are the most goal dangerous.

So where Gio and pulisic plays - is likely to be different based on the phase of the game and where they think they'll spend most of their time.

In possession, they'll likely want both in the halfspace. In transition- they'll likely want Pulisic wide. I am not sure about Gio-.

Its also about what they are in in defense. Where they play a 4222. Do they think they'll spend significant time in that set up? They've tried Pulisic in one of the top forward positions to try to spring him on the break. It didnt' work well- he doesn't press as well and we needed his help in transition. So they have mostly kept him wide in. Where they play Gio will depend on how good his presses that back line as part of the 2 forwards vs how well he breaks on the wing.

GB often used McKennie in one of the two forwards because they wanted his ball winning and tackling high- particuarly against Mexico's 6- who was a bit of a problem in their first game.

My guess is they'll want CP and Gio in the half spaces with guys that are not as goal dangerous wide in possession. They'll likely keep CP wide in the 433. Whether Gio ends up wide or centally in the 433 will likley be as much about what other youth players like Ledezma and Uly break out. That will either push him wide or centrally.

I expect in the 4222- gio would be one of the high forwards- assuming he presses well and blocks off space well. One big reason that Canada had so much joy in the middle in the first game is taht McKenniee an Sargent were horrible partners up front. McKennie was a hustle player that closes quickly while Sargent was a big 9 who jogged more than sprinted. That left too many gaps between them and led McKenniee pushed up further out of the mid than they wanted.

LLegett and Zardes were a better pairing. Zardes hustled and LLegett focused on closing passing angles. Where gio fits in that set up will likely depend on who is partner is and what Gio's work ethic is defensively.

gogorath repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that Dortmund and the US talk about Reyna and what they want for him and what's best for him short and long term. Most or all clubs likely do this although there may be a few that but heads with national teams.

gogorath repped this.
  25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    What? You said missing a camp could conceivably help. I asked if attending a camp could conceivably help. Nobody has proof either way.

The quote i used about "accomplishing something" was from the poster above you, who said Reyna hasn't "accomplished anything", like being promoted to the first team and getting sub appearances for the 4th placed BL team is "nothing". Any of the US players could do that!

If both club and player want something, then it's obvious. The best strategy there is for Egg and mgmt to communicate that to the press and fans, so it doesn't look like they are just being derelict (which I think they usually are). As of now, Reyna needs to be called every camp. If he/Dortmund prefer him not to attend (outside FIFA windows), then so be it.

But to think a. calling him in will ruin his career, despite having no proof this actually happens, and b. that he needs to "earn" a call up by doing something more than being on Dortmund's bench, is crazy. I realize these feelings likely don't apply to you.

Pegasus and bsky22 repped this.