Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #1501 gogorath, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    While he generally comes back to the middle no matter where he's playing, Reyna played RW in the Azteca match, coming on for Weah.

2. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yeah Gio is one of a VERY few players on our team that can make good things happen on his own at this level. Maybe people have forgotten, or don't like his demeanor, or have not watch him play all that much, but he has looked next level at times in his young career, including in a US shirt.

I'll be forever grateful that Gregg helped get us through group stage in this WC, but my feeling is that he got extremely lucky that Iran didn't put in that late header, or curling shot, or that the ref didn't blow one of the late calls in the box. If that would have happened, then Gregg's entire legacy would have changed. There would have been a chorus of questions from both fans and the media as to why TF he couldn't find a spot on the field for a kid like this during group.

Fortunately for all involved that didn't happen, so it's onwards and upwards.

Jumbalaya repped this.
  3. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    And the number of people who think telling someone else "go google ______ to prove me right" is how supporting their own assertion is how things work is one bazillion +1

No, if you assert something to be true, e onus is on you to show that is true.

As I inferred in my original post, it would be likely that you don't have any evidence to back up your claim and this "go look it up if you don't know" technique just proves me right.

4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    You literally told me to google. I honestly don't care what you believe and so can't be bothered to try to prove to you what is so obviously true. If you want to ignore the walkback by Wynalda, I am totally cool with that. We're done.

5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Proverbs for Paranoids #3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I’m not sure what’s more tween - believing Wynalda in the first place over this kind of gossip or continuing to believe him after he takes it back.

I’ve met Wynalda and he seems like a nice guy - doesn’t mean this deserves our time.

gogorath repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No CCV?

8. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    #1508 The_Dude, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    You're referring to something that was your own claim, not mine. I did not suggest you research my claim.

In fact I never told you to Google anything so now you've resorted to lying.

No need to engage further.

9. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    I'm not sure what's worse you using the word tween or not being able to read my post with accuracy.

I said there are reasons to believe Wynalda and outlined them none of which you contradicted. You're smart enough to figure out that that does not mean that I "believe" him. Even if you weren't, you would have to ignore the next paragraph in the post you quoted to figure it out.

I keep seeing that he "took it back".

Please elaborate on what "it" represents.

GGG has changed his story again btw which of course you know, and supports a version closer to Wynalda's.

I'll make a deal with you: I won't decide what is worth your time if you don't... Actually that's it.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1510 comoesa, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Claudio must have bullied Egg in high school or something.

adam tash and xbhaskarx repped this.
  11. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Shoved him in a locker. Gave him a swirlie. Gregg’s been waiting 40 years for this.

or gio is odd man out right now because Musah came up.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revenge is a dish best served cold but this is getting ridiculous

adam tash repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Our best hope to win is that we fall behind.

14. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope Gregg’s not intentionally handicapping the team over hurt feelings. This seems more and more like an LD in 2014 situation.

Ghost repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay now put in Reyna in the 12th minute

16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Honestly, Reyna for JF would be the right move, since JF is not pressing high.

Bajoro repped this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You will respect the#VIBES!

comoesa repped this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    He can't possibly do less than Ferreira up top.

adam tash and Bajoro repped this.
  19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio played like a player that wasn’t integrated into the team. He got better as the half wore on, but too little too late. Oh well.

porkrind repped this.
  20. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Gio played quite well. The midfield and fullbacks were wore down from pool play. Mentally and physically.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio did the best he could in the limited opportunity he was given

[​IMG]

22. Douglas Campbell

BVB
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    Gio was OK. He didn't do anything super special, but he was fine. I was happy we finally got our "death" lineup, finally. It was so predictable that Ferriera would underwhelm in the first half and he did. One of his give-aways led to a Dutch counter-attack. That said, starting Reyna from the outset would not have changed the outcome. We had to be more clinical, and do a better job marking men.

The Clientele, tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  23. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    That little combination Reyna had with Aaronson on the right near the end of the game showed our two best players in tight spaces who understand one touch, pass and move football. We need that level of speed of thought and close control moving forward.

We need more of that moving forward, too much of our game is letting Pulisic and Weah drop deep to collect the ball and try to dribble past players. So I will be banging on the "We need a formation with a 10" drum until 2026 and Reyna is our best choice there.

pwykes, Anderson11, xbhaskarx and 4 others repped this.
  24. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    He was needed more against Iran and Wales. We go up 2 in both of those games and people don’t have to run so hard and endure the mental part of games on a razor’s edge. The mental and physical deterioration was evident today.

25. Douglas Campbell

BVB
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    That's a good point. The first round for the Dutch was a snoozer. It was an emotional rollercoaster for us, and when we made it through by the skin of our teeth only when the last whistle sounded, it was emotionally like we'd just won a championship or something. The Dutch did have an easier draw, needing just a result against lowly Qatar to advance.

The issue with our defensive marking today could have come down to this.