Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I said it in the play by play thread and I'll say it again now. Gio is probably one of my absolute favorites on this team, but when you're holding on for dear life and protecting a one goal lead to move ahead, it doesn't scream sub in the 19-year-old attacker who likes to freelance and isn't the tidiest defender. I'd have preferred him to Aaronson at the half, but it's not a crazy call to prefer the guy who is getting 90 every week in the Premier League in a high-pressure game. He also deserves some minutes. Results are what matter and we're at least hitting par for this tournament now and while I like individual payers, I'm more concerned that the team is successful than if a specific player or two is featured more or less. We win one more game and we're tied for our best World Cup ever. That's way more important than if my favorite players get more minutes.

2. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we please stop with the bring on Reyna. Just what would you have done with him in this game?

The match situations drive the subs. The only complaint I would have today is using Wright over Ferreira. Wright's big body wasn't a bad move but he was too stagnant and could have used Ferreira's speed and pressing to cause problems with Iran trying to progress the ball forward.

tomásbernal, WrmBrnr and mbar repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say I was surprised Aaronson came off the bench and not Reyna.

If Reyna is good to go Saturday and Pulisic can’t go, I think you have to start Reyna.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Aaronson has not offered much of anything so far this World Cup. I want to see what Reyna can do.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Lol. I'm sure, if you think about it for a moment, he was looking to add some calmness on the ball in a match where we needed goals. In the end, he brought him on as a 3rd CB to win all the long balls that Iran would pump into the box in desperation, and he did himself credit in that role.

Moore and Acosta and Wright, not so much. Aaronson was ok.

Once again, Berhalter's set up turned out to be quite correct, but his in-game adjustments were iffy. That said, losing Pulisic was bound to hurt when we needed some counterattacking firepower.

tomásbernal repped this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Clearly there's been a falling out.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Rio has to start on Saturday

adam tash repped this.
  8. hardballBD

hardballBD Member

Union
    United States
    Feb 21, 2022
    Saturday might be the real test of Gio's status. Pulisic possibly out. Musah and McKennie and Weah likely exhausted after today (and the last two games prior). If Gio's gonna play a big role, now is the time.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The team was playing win or go home and the coach was playing for his job.

This was the game.

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He will play if we are behind in the 2nd half. Probably not under any other scenario.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo, FTGOTC, schrutebuck and 2 others repped this.
  12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Just check out that expression of unrestrained joy on Reyna's face at 0:09. He's over the moon.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Not a good look.

14. Amaru523

Amaru523 Member

Jun 22, 2016
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks like me that Christmas in 91 when I got roller skates and all my friends got roller blades.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how even regular sports fans in our society are asking where Gio Reyna is and when are we going to see him, from SportsCenter anchors to my mother.

Namdynamo, Ironbound, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    You should have been happy with the skates and the futuristic noise-canceling headphones.

Amaru523 repped this.
  17. yesthatsme

yesthatsme Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Feb 22, 2022
    I’m sure Gio is a good kid, but he needs to grow up a bit. He’s 20, so not a shock that he may show some immaturity sometimes.

FTGOTC, zanderbz and mattjens repped this.
  18. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Puli looks like he might have gotten some real good pain meds when he was at the hospital.

ebbro, Ironbound, Eighteen Alpha and 3 others repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Can we not extrapolate a random ass walk through a lobby into something more than it needs to be?

I'm sure Gio wants to play. I'm sure he's happy we won, maybe a little bummed he didn't play, and perhaps a little less exuberant because he feels didn't contribute. This is all normal. Perhaps he was partying on the bus but feels a bit weird taking congrats when he didn't play. I know I did when I played.

He's young, he's a bit cocky and whiny on the field, but seems like a good person off it.

This kind of back and forth happens ALL the time on teams like this. Hell, listen to Berhalter talk about how pissed he was when he wasn't picked or was left off the WC roster.

And look! There he is smiling and hugging Berhalter. Man, such an issue.

ebbro, nobody, ifsteve and 8 others repped this.
  20. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio smiled when Pulisic missed in the Champions League final. Maybe we should read less into his body language.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he looks pretty sad tho. Also wearing headphones is a little odd here.

FTGOTC repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked how the referee blew the whistle on that last play which prevented any VAR review, my favorite referee ever.

FC Tallavana and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I’m not going to read into that. I know I sound a little “get off my yawn” but I hardly see young people not wearing headphones or something of the sort. I’ve seen Reyna in interviews too. He doesn’t seem like the real animated, expressive type. That doesn’t mean he’s not part of the team.

My only complaints with him is sometimes I’ve seen him not go 110% on the field. That’s a young player mistake. He’s got to become more disciplined in his game.

nobody and gogorath repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hardly see young people not wearing headphones? When they are hanging with friends and celebrating? How many young people do you see?

It’s generally considered rude to wear headphones in a social situation. The signal is “don’t talk to me.”

Signed,

A Former Young Person

tomásbernal repped this.