Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BWAHAHAHA

majspike repped this.
  2. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would be a star in the making if he stopped getting injured every 5 minutes.

RossD, russ and ifsteve repped this.
  3. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is he going to return? Didn’t even make the “21” in today’s friendly which has plenty of starters in the lineup

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not till he's damn good and ready I hope.

majspike, RossD, Bajoro and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Gio was out for a long time,” Terzic told reporters at training camp, transcribed by Bundesliga.com. “He’s a young guy who has had to deal with a huge number of setbacks in the last 12 months.

“We want to make sure that he doesn’t suffer another setback now, that he regains confidence in himself and his body, and that he has fun playing football again,” Terzic said. “That’s why we prefer to take a more cautious approach – because it’s about him staying with us for a very, very long time.”

https://sbisoccer.com/2022/07/borus...cautious-with-gio-reyna-during-preseason-camp

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to be super careful with him to start. Which is fine with me as long as he's healthy and good to go for the World Cup.

nobody and Marko72 repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder what the difference is between Reyna's problem (which I believe is hammy?) and Weah's problem which was solved by surgery (after long recuperating time). They might think he is still too young for surgery. Or maybe surgery was more obvious in Weah's case due to severity of the tear.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Weah's hamstring tear that led to surgery like 10 minutes into his first league game after "recovering" from the same hamstring injury?

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, I think that's right. I remember vaguely that they published the grade of the tear and it was severe.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If he doesn't start playing really good quality soccer until mid- or late-October, that's honestly fine with me. I want him healthy and at full speed by November, and I don't really care if he starts the season off well.

nobody, gomichigan24, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  11. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I wish he was on Lille, the way they handed Weah may or may not have involved randomness, but I like to think they just blended a wonderful degree of prudence w/commitment to his long term interests....and we got the best Weah I've ever seen as a result. It took a year, and one huge setback about 5 or 6 months in, so maybe it plays out like it did with Gio, I can only hope, but I definitely worry that there's something weird on the Dortmund end, considering he played w/o incident, including that famed, heavenly run against El Tri at the Azteca. How'd he do that with us, no problem, then turn around and blow something immediately when he set back on field for Dortmund? Whatever the situation, the longer he goes in training, the better, and I hope it isn't connected to fields or training over there.

12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this but I suspect a guy that talented will go off the minute he realizes he isn't made of glass. Hope that's soon but not necessarily too soon.

13. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And herein lies the issue. There is no magic equation to calculate when is the right time. Put him out there early and get him some minutes to build comfort and fitness which isn't a bad plan. But if he gets hurt then the pitchforks come out 'effing staff put him out there too soon."

Take a more cautious approach and hold him back until say mid September then he probably can't play in the last window. Pitchforks come out "effing staff get him on the field."

I am sure their training staff are working with Gio every day to assess his fitness and strength and talking to him on how he feels. Lets just hope that they get it right this time!

FTGOTC and RossD repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three other BVB stars can go next to Schulz

BVB's shopping spree is over for the time being - now Sebastian Kehl is the seller

Dortmund's new sports director has to make decisions together with coach Edin Terzic. He spoke "openly and honestly about their situation and perspective" with all the players, revealed Terzic.

According to Sky information, in addition to Nico Schulz, Manuel Akanji, Thorgan Hazard and Julian Brandt have also been informed that they no longer play a major role in the planning for the new season. If they get a suitable offer, they can leave the club.

FTGOTC repped this.
  15. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I guess it happens in American sports but it's hard for me to remember the last time I saw a club or coach publicly state one of their players wasn't "good enough" and wasn't in their plans going forward. It seems to happen a lot in Europe.
    And I don't mean where a player holds out or is a pain in the ass to force a trade. I mean where they basically say, "this guy sucks and I don't want him."

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just doesn't seem good business as now teams will get reduced rates on purchases since they know you don't want those players.

RossD repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happens more often than you think. Seems crazy but I guess better expediting the transfer process than carrying them on the roster and having them train with U-23’s.

18. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tightrope for the staff. The soccer world sees Gio and his potential. BVB usually gets this stuff right wrt player development and I hope they get it right this time too.

Bajoro and FTGOTC repped this.
  19. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    For a pure money and numbers perspective, probably. But good business can be more than that. Good business can also be about putting your cards on the table, letting everyone know where they stand, and letting these types of players move on with their careers elsewhere while you still get some money for them. Sometimes it better to just move on quickly and professionally instead of playing the hard sell game for every single player.

twoolley repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American sports have fixed rosters.

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what this means. NFL, for example, has contracts and trades. Players move about after every season. I'm not sure how that's any different than the football world. After a contract expires, a player is free to sign with any team that wants them.

gogorath repped this.
  22. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Those are all good players. I don't think it necessarily means they are not good. It more means we held you long enough and now we want to make some money from the sale of you and continue to develop younger players that we can also make a profit from. That is BVB's business model. Someone like Hazard or Brandt, I'm sure they can play anywhere in the BL. At this time in their career they are worth a lot more and it's just a matter of finding a team to pay. When. you're late 20's, you gotta get that last big contract when you can. That's where these guys are. BVB production line. Gio is on that line.

twoolley and bsky22 repped this.
  23. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I don't look at it like they are trashing the players publicly. More along the lines that they are giving them the best possible chance to land somewhere in timely manner for next season, even if it might mean a bit less for the club.

I'm a pretty cynical guy, but I get the feeling with BVB that they legitimately care for the well being of their players as individuals more than maybe some teams out there. They have their business model and that is possibly one reason as to why it seems to work for them.

bsky22 repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team without a fixed roster is more likely to have spare players.

25. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American sports do not have fixed rosters.
    NFL has their taxi squads that they can call in players from.
    MLB has an entire minor league system that they routinely move players up and down from.
    NHL has minor league teams as well.
    NBA is probably the most restrictive of our leagues.