Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Dumb seems harsh.

But yeah, this play is exactly why I think Pefok's lack of speed and ability to stretch the defense is a problem. No one had to pay attention to him at all.

Even if he didn't provide an open target, he should have been moving to force the defense to open up for Reyna. But he's not fast enough.

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a good old-fashioned dribbling run that you don't see much anymore. He's got good ball control. When he can go from flashy to effective, i.e., when he can finish it off with a good pass or goal, then he will have arrived as a footballer. This is good optics for him in terms of raising his market value. These games are watched all over the world

madvillain, IndividualEleven and lmorin repped this.
  3. hacster

hacster Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with this, but at least Pefok was up field. What the hell was Pulisic doing? Just going for a pleasant jog and watching some nice dribbling? With a little effort he provides Reyna an outlet or creates some space. Instead, his contribution is to show up late and wack the ball over the end line. So much potential for a great counter, but seemed like Reyna was the only one interested.

sXeWesley repped this.
  4. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    outside of Messi I'm really not sure who else I've seen make a crazy run like that right down the middle of the field when half the team was back defending. I've seen Pulisic do some crazy things on the break but with less guys back in front of him.

as noted it was a real shame nobody else apparently had any energy to run with him at that point. Pulisic especially.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaka, Brazilian Ronaldo.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic was gassed

7. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I've long thought Kaka is Gio's best comp style and athletically.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio came on at 60', so physically he was a step ahead of most of the defenders at 77'. His overall objective was to waste time, which he did proficiently. Of course, if it generated a goalscoring opportunity all the better. Instead he dribbled into a player and was dispossessed.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not sure.

10. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I don't know about that. I thought both teams were still going for the win at that point. There was a change around the 80th minute when the US switched to a very defensive posture but until then the game was open both ways. Gio should have passed it (and had more options from hustling team mates, regardless of how tired they were) but it was a tremendous demonstration of his talent.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio missed the opportunity to pass to Pefok but at that point he was focused on glory. I don't think anyone else was available when he was finally tackled.

madvillain repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio really used his body effectively to muscle off smaller Mexican defenders and create space to operate.

madvillain repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to be quite good when he grows up but he did look like Micky Dolenz in his post-match interview, especially when trying to suppress a laugh after Pulisic pronounced shift with a silent f.

Marko72 repped this.
  14. FASTEDDIE

FASTEDDIE Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Thornton
    I had a little too much time on my hand tonight so I counted the touches Reyna made on this run, it was 16. Can you guess how many touches Maradona had on his run at Azteca?

I counted that too is was 9. Amazing what one or two touches can do! Also Gio > Maradona 16/9! Math

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's take a minute to really appreciate that pass to Pefok for a minute; a perfectly-timed run, then a first time volley of a 20 yard aerial pass to put it right on the doorstep for a player that's behind him? COME ON. How many Americans have the idea, let alone technique to pull that off?

Really impressed with the young man. He brings intelligence that's sorely needed, including the sort of guile that's very rare for American players. His ability to beat players, including on his impressive run, is more about his ability to keep others guessing. MFer is tricky; a real magician in the style of old school playmakers.

dan96man, madvillain, sXeWesley and 2 others repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can see Gio and Pulisic cringe at the Berhalter remark. It makes you think Berhalter makes a lot of cringe comments.

sXeWesley and Rep_Le_Rouge repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was more that that question was along the lines of "do you think Chicago can win the World Cup?". Berhalter compared that run to Maradonna's at the same stadium, as a lot of people have. He hasn't exalted Reyna (yet).

Marko72 repped this.
  18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I made my post I knew you would attempt to interpret the player reaction in a way that does not undermine Berhalter. The body language is very clear from both Gio and Pulisic that they are rolling their eyes at the Berhalter comment.

19. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a good comparison, he reminds me of Van Persie (Young RVP).

20. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It only makes you think that if you are already biased towards it.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  21. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    He has excellent balance. After a few more years on the squat rack he'll be a tank.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s already using his body effectively. He’s got such skill that when he created space for himself against smaller defenders, the skill allows him to separate.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'll sign the get-well card if anybody's got one.

Got midfielders?

------------aaronson
    ----musah-----------reyna
    --------------adams

Three and Three repped this.