Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Haaland's runs are great. And, he's finishing those off with his left, largely.

Gio's not getting those assists with the USMNT. If that's what we're counting on GR to do, then I think JoMo would be the best bet at center forward. No, he doesn't have Haaland's left foot, but he's the closest we have to someone who'll make those runs. (and he's not that close)

2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gio going from (setting up) haaland to zardes makes me feel a little sad at first, but then i think about that gold cup where donovan was purely dominant, and wondo got like half his career nt goals. at least 4 of 5 were from donovan, including a couple of times just using wondo as a human backboard.

not saying gio is peak donovan yet, but zardes HAS shown to be pretty much world class at silly deflections that end up in the back of the net.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's a good thing that Zardes is known for making smart runs. He's no Erling Haaland (best finisher I've ever seen) but he's a good finisher. Just don't make him touch the ball more than zero times before shooting.

Android Cat, USSoccerNova and rgli13 repped this.
  4. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I love it. Now we have kids demanding starting lineups?

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sargent will probably be the striker.

sXeWesley repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first touch, control and passing have all improved significantly since he joined the Crew.

Example:

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Personally prefer Morris as the starting striker, but I'm not sure GGG sees him as a forward.

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I mean, as a NT fan I’m certainly okay with one of the notable American strikers from the past few years getting a chance to combine with playmakers like CP and Reyna. Not sure I understand that “woe is Reyna” angle. None of Zardes’s competition for NT minutes is Haaland level, so if that’s a problem for Reyna he shouldn’t show up for NT duty.

tomásbernal and deejay repped this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    That's funny. I'm taking heat here for bagging on Gyasi and I'm taking heat in the Best XI thread for having him in the starting lineup.

Can't win. ;)

Three and Three, sXeWesley and Baysider repped this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Gio at #3 in WhoScored for BL. Right ahead of Haaland.

11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the season? behind lewa and...kramaric?

12. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Reyna’s meteoric rise exceeds that of Pulisic or any American prior.

Hopefully Claudio can help him stay grounded and focused

13. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to bump this later when Gio Reyna is a showcased player on next year’s FIFA 22

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly on the US edition.

15. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not right now, but if Gio keeps progressing like he has there won’t be a team in the world that’s out of the question. It wouldn’t shock me to see Man City interested, particularly given the Reyna family history with City.

I also agree that it would be a good idea to keep Reyna and Haaland together. They are a dynamite duo.

nobody repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sky's the limit for Reyna. With Pulisic I said that we shouldn't expect the world's best player but just a step below. For Reyna, throw everything out the window. I'm thinking top 3 or 5 player in the world is possible.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pulisic could stay healthy he might make it to top 5 but every time he gets on a roll he gets an injury. So far never major but enough where he has to sort of start over again.

nobody and ifsteve repped this.
  19. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I guess it depends on how you define radar. If you mean "imminent bid," then probably not. But if you mean "keeping an eye on," then a big, Real-type club would be incompetent not to be tracking Reyna.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont have any clue who might/will come in for reyna (much less where he will land...as a seasoned 19/20 yo vet), but its going to be a huge club. i mean, hes not going from dortmund to herta or lyon. the next step up from dortmund is superclub.

its funny that pulisics move to chelsea seems almost pedestrian at this point. clearly the rising bar is outpacing the actual product- the guys still have to perform and produce- but yeah, reyna at dortmund is historically amazing for us soccer, and a ho-hum move to a chelsea is (barring some crazy, unforeseen circumstance) roughly his floor.

its a crazy time to be an american soccer fan.

Marko72, sXeWesley, deejay and 3 others repped this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks like he's just been scolded by his headmaster.

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think I would start a clearly-not-as-good player ahead of Gio for a while and force him to win the spot. He seems to either not push himself when he feels comfortable or once there he just looks to blend in. His vice seems to be getting too comfortable too quickly. Strong talent, but sometimes it seems like he needs a push from outside.

24. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd put Gio where his club team does.

Paul Berry and sXeWesley repped this.