Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    From the womb? Wait, 1999. From the gleam in the eye?

2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...he went on to say dortmund declined to release reyna for the olympic qualifying team.

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that it feels like old school Big Soccer seeing the name Reyna in people's starting XI text graphics for the USMNT.

russ, Bob Morocco, majspike and 8 others repped this.
  4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR

Yes, it's good to hear those things clearly stated and understandable why Dortmund would shoot it down.

It does behoove Dortmund, however, for a player to get their first national team cap as a teenager. It only helps their development and shows the player professional deference and respect.

Captain America's boy wonder with the national team is going to be fun to follow. I'm happy for the Reyna family.

ifsteve and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I'm really happy for them too, especially given that they had to deal with the tragedy of losing their 13-year old child/brother to cancer. Would've devastated me. I wish the entire Reyna family nothing but the best.

Namdynamo, gunnerfan7, DHC1 and 3 others repped this.
  6. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes, the Reyna's are kind of US Soccer's (all of our) family. Nobody else better represents the American soccer player and family than they do. Claudio has always been a great representative of all of us who played the sport in that time and his family is an extension of that, with his wife having been a top professional and now his boy. "Reyna" is kinda the surname of US Soccer if there could be such a thing.

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Well said but please don't mention it anymore - it's soul crushing to contemplate as a parent.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I miss the arguments between those who only seemed to see Claudio's backpasses and those who kinda saw a little more.

(Well, maybe "miss" isn't the right word.)

Bob Morocco, Mahtzo1, deejay and 3 others repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So here's my take on Gio. With the ball he reminds me so much of his dad. Very hard to take the ball from and he can go left or right on you, take a shot or lay off a pass very easily. However, he is a bit quicker, faster and just as strong which will allow him to play farther forward. But, yeah, 100% a player that will move more centrally as he matures and probably somewhere between 9 and 10. I think just about everyone can agree on that.

So now is the question about potential and this is where I was to cravenly to reveal my hand on Pulisic. Too bad, because it looks like I was right about him. I thought top 10 winger if things go right and no way can he reach Messi level. So I'm going to be brave. Reyna is trending to a...........at his peak a top 3 forward/CAM type something a bit better than Benzema. Reaching Zizou or Ronaldo level is not out of the question but I don't think he will be technical enough for the first or fast enough for the second. The downside is never going to be very down for him. Clint Dempsey is a downside, for example.

Bajoro repped this.
  10. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    People always wanted Claudio to be a much more offensive player than he ever was. He was a great possession player and was fantastic controlling the ball in traffic and dictating the pace of the game. Personally, I always liked watching him play because he had the ability to let the ball do most of the work and did so much with his body position and just a simple touch or two. But, everyone wanted goals and assists from him with that number 10 on his back and it was never going to happen. Now, Gio is another story altogether. He may be the player everyone wished Claudio to be. Still a bit too early to know where he will finally settle on the field at club or for country. But, he's sure to be a much more dynamic attacker than his old man.

russ, Bajoro, deejay and 2 others repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    the way Claudio controlled pace was vital to Donovan emerging as a counter attacker IMO. Cap America picked his spots and defenders could lose their focus for a moment and Landon would strike like a mamba....

Bajoro, largegarlic and nobody repped this.
  12. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Apparently Gregg and the Reynas are tight way back into Claudio and Gregg's youth soccer days in New Jersey. There couldn't be a better time for a young player like Gio to get an introduction to the national team through a coach who is a long-time trusted family friend.

Bajoro repped this.
  13. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were high school teammates at St. Benedict's in Newark. Same school that Tab Ramos went to a few years earlier.

russ, deejay, IndividualEleven and 3 others repped this.
  14. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like when we get a quality ball circulator type, we focus on what he isn't vs. what he is. Nagbe is a good example. Bradley being pushed higher and higher up the field when he was at his peak is another.

russ and Scotty repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Nagbe wasnt a good ball circulator. He had no idea what to do with the ball at the international level.

Patrick167, Namdynamo, lmorin and 2 others repped this.
  16. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Back when Claudio was in his prime, American soccer fans in general simply weren't nuanced in the game enough to understand what he was. If there was a BigSoccer at that time, it would have treated him similar to the way it treats Michael Bradley and it would have screamed and cried for every Freddy Adu to start at Claudio's expense. :ROFLMAO:

17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I am pretty sure that there was a BS at that time

Bob Morocco and deejay repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you should know, boomer

russ, diablodelsol and striker repped this.
  19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I wonder...was it like this? Was there a thread about replacing Claudio with some youth league player with upside?

tomásbernal and Bajoro repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Is someone seriously comparing today’s Bradley to captain America?

that’s as apples and oranges as one can get.

Striker and other old timers - you remember haterade and ABMOD? Good times, good times.

russ, yurch10, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  21. ReynaFan

ReynaFan Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Brentwood, TN
    Spot on about CR,and Gio is 4 inches taller. That can help make a difference for him.

22. ReynaFan

ReynaFan Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Brentwood, TN
    It was so much smaller. I’ve checked back periodically over the years, but with so many pages of replies in every thread, it seems impossible to have a discussion. And yes, people weren’t happy. The talent he had around him was far different than today. The same goes for the board.

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you ever get called a human encyclopedia among American soccer circles?

24. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I've heard.

25. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    While I hope you are right, I think it is a bit early.