Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    By age of 14 Messi was Messi.

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Could be a contributor. Sometimes, though, it's just how things work out.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    We already know the answer on Araujo and Ferreira. Araujo turned 18 in August and Ferriera was 19 before the latest window

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Despite him being the best player on the team since age of 14. The second best was Busio who gets even less love here.

5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Some very good prospects had trouble with aspects of the pro lifestyle. Adu. Szetela. Quaranta.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    hmmm. Let’s give Ferreira a year as he was getting his citizenship. I’m pessimistic but respect @IndividualEleven posting history.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I've liked what I've seen from Ferriera, but think it is a huge stretch to claim he has the same potential as Reyna. Reyna has become a regular off the bench for Dortmund and has people from the club saying he could be a bigger prospect than CP.

Ferriera played 3 minutes for FCD as a 17 yo. I am skeptical that an 18 yo who becomes a regular for FCD is going to be at a big club in a few years.

I think it is interesting to think we have 5 big time prospects at 5 different clubs. If this is true, then it will give us more info on what clubs are able to take the potential and help them realize it.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's why I don't give up on Busio. He's not fast and his position is a question -- but his size, overall athleticism and skillset says there's something there.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I have not done exhaustive research on soccer prodigies not making it, but a super high number of baseball / basketball / football busts are due in large part to substance abuse. Probably the #1 thing after injuries.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he the only professional player in the world with both parents who were soccer internationals?

50/50 Ball and SamsArmySam repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Addressing some of the responses to my post on young, MLS-affiliated players who have as much promise as Reyna----

The subject was one of which players showed as much potential as Reyna. The subject was not one of which players were better than Reyna.

Some of the responses that weren't confused were nevertheless, dismissive of the post. I would merely point out that Reyna, Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, and Alphonso Davies over-lap in their associations with the league. In 2016, Davies and Adams were already senior team members. McKennie and Reyna were MLS Academy.

So, it's not unrealistic to claim that there are current MLS-affiliated players, even as many as 4, who have Reyna's promise. And 'promise' is the key word. I checked the 2009-2010 UCL season. 43 players who were teens as of 10 years from today had played in the group stages of those 43, only 10 would go on to make 20 appearances in the UCL. Only 22 would go on to play 100 matches in one of the top-5 leagues.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Do you have the data broken down by 17 year old vs 18 vs 19.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not as good but rather with similar potential, which is something different and more flexible criteria. It's not out of the realm of possibilities since in 2019 two MLS youth products, Alphonso Davies and Tyler Adams, had an immediate impact in big BL clubs.

14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The difference between guys like McKennie, Davies, Adams, Pulisic, and Reyna and some of the others is that they grow into athletic bodies early enough to push their way onto the field with men. The rosters are full of players with promise who never became athletes as well. The idea that the USMNT has always fielded "athletes with no skill" is a misnomer. The USMNT has fielded the best available, who have rarely been top quality athletes. Look at the players who have had success in Europe's most athletic leagues...Howard, Dempsey, Beasley, Pulisic, Reyna, Friedel, Keller...these are all excellent athletes of one sort or another. Reyna, McKennie, and Adams are all excellent athletes.

The top level requires top atheticism of some sort. US observers are not familiar enough with soccer to generally recognize what that kind of athleticism looks like because it isn't measured in a draft combine like football and basketball players are.

jaykoz3 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's excelled in the Champions League?

How many times can he have touched the ball in 22 minutes?

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly, he was like 5'8" when he got selected in the draft by his father as a 16 year old. But then he got injured and had to sit out his entire rookie season. In that rookie season, he grew something like 5 inches and turned into a completely different type of player than most reasonable people expected in his age 17 year. Just a weird situation.

Bajoro and deejay repped this.
  17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #392 onefineesq, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Oh, a couple of us did. I was one of them.

Edit: I get what you are saying though. 99% of the people now shilling unrelentingly for CP thought he was very good, but not EXCEPTIONAL back then. But you would never know that from their current posts.

deejay and butters59 repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'll fess up on this. I was privately saying to myself that this guy is the first American that could be a top tier player. But I was afraid to say it because I had been burned by so many youth prospects. I didn't come forward aggressively until he was getting minutes in Dortmund. A lot of people were bringing up Freddy Adu. Understandable. However, there were also some people who though he was too short and wasn't strong enough. That was just dead wrong.

DHC1 repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always saw something very special in Pulisic. He was electrifying in the U17 qualifying and WC.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NietzscheIsDead and schrutebuck repped this.
  21. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I think the jury is still out there. Hope you are right.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd now say that Alphonso Davies has excelled in the UCL.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  23. ReynaFan

ReynaFan Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Brentwood, TN
    I’m on record as having identified the talent the earliest!

Namdynamo, Bajoro, deejay and 3 others repped this.
  24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here, have your first rep in over 20 years!

deejay, dlokteff and USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    #400 NietzscheIsDead, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Yes, the US U17 team had a good tournament with CP and he was clearly the best player out there.
    Berhalter has a pretty good take on where Reyna fits in, and he didn’t hold back in saying that he’s a player NOW.

In Reynas first appearance I expect him to play as a wing, but in his second appearance I think we could see him central as a 10. If I’m Gregg, I play this:

Pulisic—————————Morris
    ——————-Reyna——————
    ———McKennie———————-
    ——————————Holmes—-
    ——————-Adams—————
    Dest—————————-Cannon
    ————Brooks—-Long————
    —————-Steffen——————

If that group stays healthy for a couple of years we will have an exciting, talented young team chock full of high level experience.

Bajoro repped this.