Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Wow, we have 4 guys in MLS as good as Gio? We should really waltz through qualifying then and have a solid Cup. Might be tough to get Pulisic on the field with all that talent in another year or two.

2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That's...basically the same thing though. They don't have those passports and its an impossible assertion to prove or disprove.

3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Implausible. Not too many 17 year olds of any nationality break through into one of the top leagues. It is unusual on a global basis.

Namdynamo, deejay, USSoccerNova and 5 others repped this.
  4. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I agree with that, 100%.

DHC1 repped this.
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    well, we’ll see when they turn 18 if they are in demand from elite teams.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There probably are not many U19s in MLS with the potential of Reyna because any such player is not usually in MLS. When they are that good and they are ignored by their in territory MLS team, they are almost always gone. If they are that good, they usually don't want to sign.

Nyeman and some of the other players who signed at 15 would be the place to look for such potential. If Nyeman had a passport, he might have signed with Dortmund himself last November. He will be an interesting test case. Nyeman signing with DCU is a real gamble on his part.

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Was meant sarcastically. That we have 4 guys with as much potential as Reyna in MLS is absurd.

DHC1 repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I know. But the original question is interesting so I kept rambling about it.

nobody repped this.
  10. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a sad and gut-wrenching turn of events for the son of an important former USMNT player to play for some other country (but, yes, unlikely).

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    There aren't many American U19s in MLS with Reyna's potential because there's been like 2 Americans ever with his potential.

This whole conversation is silly because of that.

Bajoro, gunnerfan7, USSoccerNova and 5 others repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Honestly that was a wrong question to start with. Especially on this forum, where literally nobody rated Reyna that high. And beyond this forum the only one who did as far as I know was Claudio.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Let me put a bet. Nyeman will never be anywhere in Reyna proximity.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He doesn't have the physical attributes to do so, I don't think.

This board tends to underrate the need for strong physical/athletic attributes in assessing upside. It's almost as if there has been a wild overcorrection from the days of throwing athletes with less skill out there.

Bajoro, USSoccerNova and DHC1 repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Neither he looks bigger, stronger, better player than 2 years ago.

16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Weren't people over the last year wondering if Reyna had the physical attributes to succeed at a high level? Not just that other thread recently, but I think it was a fairly common talking point, especially after that world cup failure.

I don't disagree, but I think people go a bit overboard on physical attributes of 17 year olds. A lot can change in late teenage years. Just because Adu didn't develop physically doesn't mean other players won't.

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    which player who were at risk of being bad athletes later become good athletes?

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my thesis for the missing generation. LAG and FCD listened to all the technical talk folks but it ended up most of their players were very lacking in athleticism. Other teams /academies were doing the same. Seems the US has finally figured out it's not an either / or but both. Since the awakening the youth national teams have played pretty good and lots of talent has started moving up the conveyor belt towards the full team.

schrutebuck and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Messi?

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #370 Maximum Optimal, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Someone(s) at Dortmund did. Their decision to bring him spoke volumes.

taylor repped this.
  21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Yes. In the Youth National Teams forum there was lots of discussion about who the best prospects were on the last U17 team. It always surprised me reading through it how little love Gio got. It almost seemed unfashionable to like his potential for some reason. I say unfashionable because it never seemed tethered to any sort of real insight or logic.

jaykoz3 and yurch10 repped this.
  22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Interestingly, Michael Bradley is one player who seems to have picked up some speed (relative to his peers) after his mid teens. He was viewed as a bit of a plodder (to coin a phrase) who was just not athletic enough to make it at a high level.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yep. Once these kids get to 18 or 19 or 20? OK we can start pushing more definitive ideas of the player. But a 15 or 16 year old who hasn't played much outside of ynt? I would rely on who wants the player (dortmund) than anything I've seen over 3 games at a youth wc where the team was built to STINK under eggs system.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, that's why those people make big money. Nobody here rated CP as high as Dortmund either.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don't really have a record of people's criticism. I've always been a big Reyna-stan, but I think a lot of the criticism revolved around perceived selfish play / questions about passing and just a general resistance to hype because of his last name.

In general, I think the big mistake with younger players is people tend to focus on what they can't do, rather than what they can do. It's no guarantee someone will develop, but focusing on the negatives doesn't allow for the fact of growth.

I think the same is true with size and athleticism. If a player truly is an elite level athlete and/or has great size ... they aren't going to lose that. Yes, if the players is totally dependent on that, and they are young enough that almost no one else has gone through puberty, sure. But by 15 ... and with the skills Reyna clearly had, it should be viewed as a big plus.

If a player is slower, or doesn't have it, you don't write them off as you can improve it. Danny Leyva is a good example of a kid clearly growing into his body -- docking him too much last year for how he runs was silly.

But over time, tactical understanding is probably the easiest to improve and can come latest, core skills are much harder to improve, and finally, step changes in athleticism can be incredibly hard and basically impossible past a certain age.

So it gets harder to ignore the negatives as people get older.

Docking a 16 year old Reyna for being selfish was docking someone with great physical attributes and great skills for tactical understanding. It's focusing on the wrong thing.

Patrick167, jaykoz3, nobody and 2 others repped this.