They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think brain science is exactly on board with this, but I am not, to be fair, a brain scientist.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I suppose. But if the question is "problem solving ability" and if the other question is: "Did Mathis approach his pointing-at-watch moment as a 'screw you I know you'll bench me but I want my moment of goating' moment, or did he believe his ability would transcend German discipline?" And if it was the former, then sure, his over-all problem-solving abilities were, perhaps, exceptional. But if it was the second, it's hard to credit his overall intelligence as exceptional.

I think, though this is only from watching the "public" Mathis, that by most measures his intellect was lower than average, that he under-excelled given his gifts and drive, that he was unable to creatively/intelligently maximize his abilities.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps now he is fat and happy and living the life he envisioned, lived on his own terms after achieving the exact level of success he desired. But my instinct is... nah.

3. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    And what I'm getting from this thread is a 17 year-old soccer brain, "Mathis-level" or not, can't be taken as a reliable indicator of future glory. The full story is never what it appears to be on a soccer pitch.

striker repped this.
  4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Perfect conditions to get him his first start ;)

5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes, this is true.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Seems unlikely, but I'm interested to see what they do with Haaland, who impressed last time out (I guess, if rapid-fire goals impress you).

PalmettoSpur and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It's all about the self-actualization. We get from life what we choose.

By any definition of the term, Mathis accomplished an incredible amount of professional success relative to his peers.

Would we all loved to have seen him in another world cup? Sure. Does it mean that he was unintelligent because he did not value that as much as we might? No.

8. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If they change the rules in march moukoko will break all the youth records...

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    when will find out if maybe idiot, maybe idiot savant, maybe brain genius gio reyna makes the bench today?

Eighteen Alpha and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    In less than an hour ...

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Always an hour before kickoff, across every league.

dougtee repped this.
  12. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Read an article with quotes from Favre that suggested Favre thinks he needs to improve his fitness. So, he may start on the bench.

USSoccerNova and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    never knew that, but i guess it makes sense for the gamblers

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Of course I'm more interested in Reyna than in Haaland. I'm hopeful that 1) attention paid to Haaland may take a bit of the spotlight/pressure off Gio (on and off the field) as Gio settles in; but mostly 2) I think having Haaland as a big target and as a forward capable of combination play will help Gio (and Gio's stats) on the field.

lmorin repped this.
  15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should certainly help him get assists... dude is a beast.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. Again, if our definition is "problem solving" and Mathis used his life strategies to achieve the goals he set to the best of his ability, then you can't ask for much more. Not being Mathis I will never know.

But this is not a Mathis thread, so I will demure.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Reyna on bench...

as per BVB

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Reyna and Haaland on the bench.

[​IMG]

19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    on the bench (with haaland lol)

20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Hard to start over Sancho, Brandt, Reus or Hazard... hopefully things clear out a bit for him in the summer.

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the heck wouldn't Favre be starting Haaland yet? It's not even like Alcacer is out there instead. Also on the bench. Going w/ a false 9 instead.

Doesn't near make the best of his rather substantial talent at Dortmund. Got diminishing returns at Nice too. Why I found that hire odd when you considered the potential alternatives like Nagelsmann and Rose.

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    As I mentioned, Favre has suggested he doesn't have the endurance he wants right now.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    if haaland were asked to play the full 90 his goal scoring rate would dip to 10 per 90 instead of 12

Deeneaus, PalmettoSpur and BostonRed repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    hard to differentiate between the little kids and the dortmund first team

25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dortmund scores in about 90 seconds and is lucky to not concede about 90 seconds later. that’s so dortmund

Pl@ymaker repped this.