They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is kind of hard to increase your game fitness when you are not given a chance to do so. I have never seen a player produce as much in such a limited amount of minutes yet actually see his minutes decreased. In the end I think that is what did BVB in. They played Bellingham, Malen, Adeyemi and Brandt too much down the stretch and it came back to bite them. The former got injured after playing 90 minutes in a game they won by 3 goals and the latter three all looked stale today. In a game this big that shouldn't happen. Coach should have given more minutes Gio, Moukoko and Duranville.

russ, wsmaugham, adi21 and 6 others repped this.
  2. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Balme Musiala. The whole Bayern team handled the title to Dortmund multiple times and Dortmund kept throwing back to them. In the last day, only the guy Musiala didn’t handle it to Dortmund.

3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's barely playing for dortmund despite being arguably their best talent

I'd rather him be on the bench at real madrid or bayern than dortmund...

they dont seem to know how to use him or value what he offers......

the club is poorly managed and they are poorly managing reyna, imo

eric_appleby, 60611, Zinkoff and 3 others repped this.
  4. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    He reminds me of Riquelme in style and lackadaisical efforts at times. Granted, he needs to improve quite a bit to be “like” Riquelme.

The modern game doesn’t favor the Ozils and Riquelmes much anymore. Players are expected to do much more than just Defens or just attack.

russ repped this.
  5. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    For what it's worth, Reyna this year has been doing a lot more stuff defensively. 62nd percentile in tackles, 61st in interceptions, 44th in blocks, 70th in clearances, 92nd in aerials won. Fouls committed in the 60th percentile (per FBref). (For whatever reason he doesn't do a lot of stuff in his own defensive third, but that's more a curio than anything else.)

That's a big increase from his last big-minute season, in 20-21. Back then it was 36th percentile in tackles, 23rd in INTs, 21nd in blocks, and so on.

It also seems to be quite a change from early on in the year. As I recall he wasn't really doing much statistically defensively back then.

Obvious caveats here: I don't think winning tackles, etc., is a foolproof measure of defensive quality. But he certainly seems up to more stuff than his languid reputation would suggest.

nobody, Dizi, USA-Zebuel and 4 others repped this.
  6. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio is smoother than silk and effortless in his movement. He is not lackadaisical or ‘not trying’, IMHO. He is just so dang smooth and a joy to watch. Like a true young master. The good ones make it all look easy.

Dizi, adi21, ebbro and 6 others repped this.
  7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Since I'm guessing those percentiles are calculated on a per minute basis, I'm wondering if part of that improvement might just be that it's easier to sustain your defensive effort throughout your entire time on the pitch when you're averaging less than half an hour per appearance (like Gio was this season) vs when you're averaging over an hour per appearance (like he was in 20-21).

russ, USA-Zebuel, no exit and 1 other person repped this.
  8. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    BVB was 2-0 down at minute 28 and players looked shocked.
    It took an injured player and minute 62 to make changes.
    Terzić put a 20, 18, and 17-year-old to try to save you at minute 62. We all know Gio is not great at defending but at that point you need goals. People might disagree but Gio was one of the game changers but it was too late. Gio needs to understand where he stands because he needs playing time.
    Gragg and Terzić mismanage Gio.

Dizi, adi21 and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I think his offensive and defensive numbers will both moderate when he’s in a better situation. Nobody is that good.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Yeah I mean the main thing all of these per 90 offensive and defensive stats are telling me is that he really should be playing more, since he's doing everything you could reasonably ask of a player in limited minutes. But yeah I also don't expect all of those numbers to remain as high once that happens.

neems repped this.
  11. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve already read clubs probably won’t be interested based on some brilliant posters here. SMH.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bellingham is good as gone right? Gonna suck losing that killer chemistry combo with Reyna

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's as good as gone. Speculation was that Real Madrid acted classy and did not want to distract from BVB's final match in making any further moves or announcements but yeah, until it is confirmed by the club, that's were we are.. Jude himself said after the match, "It's time to say good-bye to Dortmund".

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe they'll go as a matched set!

A 20 year old puts in the numbers Reyna has, in an injury-interrupted season, is on watch lists. He needs to stay healthy and motivated and things will go well.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I hope he stays. Leaving prematurely is not a good plan. See Dest.

Dortmund is a solid club that knows how they train their young. Leave now and run the risk his new club loses patience after two months and he gets shelved.

16. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    At the same time, Gio needs playing time.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    he needs long term health more atm tho.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  18. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    We all know he needs to stay healthy but he needs playing time more rn.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He’s been healthy for what, seven or eight months now? In modern soccer time that’s an eternity. He should probably play while he can.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He needs pt more than staying healthy? Imma beg to differ.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #10446 freisland, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
    why? He’s 20 scoring sub goals at the 2nd best club inGermany. What is going to happen

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I’m not saying he should go play for Leeds. But he does need to play in order to get back onto the path he was on, which was to be world class. He’ll be 21 this season and that’s an age when top attacking talents are getting more than sub minutes.

russ repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe. I think, at 20 going on 21, a good situation is better than a mediocre high-minutes situation. We're talking abstracts and hypotheticals, so it's pretty silly until he's got a serious offer his crew and BVB consider, but it obviously depends where he's going to. I dunno that regular starts at Gers or Groningen, for instance, do much for him, whereas Tillman and Pepi benefited from showing what they can do day-in, day-out. Likewise, not sure the Barca, Chelsea, type transfers are optimal, just because they're clubs in flux with a lot of pressure. So sure, if he gets a "just right" slot on a club where he plays more than at BVB but also gets great training, good competition, as well as a club that has the horses to let him come back into a regular starter role without excessive pressure, yeah - I'll pick that. I'm just not sure how many of those situations are out there. Would BVB loan him to an Ered big 3? That would be fun!

Zinkoff, usnroach, Roblar and 1 other person repped this.
  25. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't post here much, but what is all this angst about Gio's PT when he was never completely frozen out?

The situations he was subbed on speak to the club's (Terzic's) belief in his ability to produce timely goals. Seems to me, to be a prudent move considering how his availability has been for the last couple of years. Could have helped win the title arguments really don't carry the day, because BVB isn't in the business of winning titles. Finding and developing talent, then selling them at profit appears to be their business.

From BVB's perspective, they have him on two years. I suppose he could put in a transfer request, but I am not sure that would be a wise career move. Some guys are leaving and enough is known about Gio that if he is healthy he can slot right in to one of those spots. Let him get some regular runs and build him back up. We don't know, but he may have been coming out of those situations where he got minutes with less than desired recoveries. They can give him a good hard look this fall, and make a decision this winter about his future status. They kind of like the re-sign and sell model.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is as bad as many here make it out to be.

From a different perspective, He is class no doubt, but his languid running style and his lack of commitment to defending really don't help his case. I don't think the modern game allows for that type of luxury player at his position. His damned near Ronaldo level histrionics can be off-putting to coaches and teammates alike. I am pretty sure his petulant talented self doesn't like sitting so much, but maybe he could play two way football? I think a commitment to that would help him become the world class player many of us hope he will be.

YMMV