They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who cares about pokal? its not worth risking anything...its almost meaningless

Gio will start in UCL and all you worry worts will shush

2. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Well, there always could be something going on we don't know about, but assuming there isn't, I think a lot is just Terzic really trying to nail his audition for the job on a longer term basis. I think Gio will be fine. It's been a lot this year already: injuries, World Cup, scandal. Unless there is an unknown, he will be fine in the long run, whatever weirdness pops up in the short term.

3. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    What's more, BVB went ahead and brought in another prospect at the winger position in the winter window. Another suggestive bit of evidence that not all's well with Reyna.

4. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    The 16 year old Belgian kid?

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like when does BVB not bring in a top teenage attacking prospect?

majspike, Dizi, madvillain and 6 others repped this.
  6. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Sure, again, could be nothing but also could be something. I'm not trying to say Gio's definitely on the outs. I'm just saying Gio used to get spot starts before the World Cup and is now scratching out sub minutes in the second half of the season. That's the main factor. Then you see BVB buying another prospect at his position or see points like this from Honigstein's past reports:
    Look at it together, and I just think people should be a little wary.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Germany is a terrible place for Americans: Gio, Green, Tillman, Pefok...

They should go to the EPL where they can start like Ream, Jedi, Adams and McKennie... or at least get meaningful sub minutes!

(Lol... ducks and runs! freis stop stirring the chamber pot!)

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The prospect has barely played a few minutes in the Eredivisie so I am not sure if he will play outside BVBII for a a season or so until BVB feels he may be ready to compete with the likes of Reyna, Hazard, Adeyemi, Reus, Brandt, etc...

Well, a lot of us do...and definitely not meaningless.

usnroach, madvillain, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be that, in order to graduate from college at BvB Dortmund, Gio must pass the final exam in the class on how to succeed in pro football by working hard with humility and building team spirit. Maybe the undergraduate dean didn't like what he saw from Gio's extracurricular activities during the pre-Christmas break and decided supplementary training is necessary before he can move on to graduate school in the EPL.

10. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    hahaha…it wasn’t long ago that Tyler Adams was the subject of similar speculation. His hip may never heal! He can’t get on the field.. They brought in central mids. He’s very limited.

Even if Gio is on the outs at BVB (he’s not) he’ll be fine.

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG he's on double secret probation!

12. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    He will be just fine, there is a long way to go before its over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i mean.....its definitely not the prioirty over bundesliga games or the champions league.....

didn't mean to offend or be insensitive to those who truly follow.....but from a competitive and economic sense.....cup games are usually least priority for big clubs.....matt turner gets the FA cup games for Arsenal and Steffen got the Cup games for Man City....its time for the backups to play....

so was more in response to the usual overreaction of fans here in this thread that Gio has declined or been shunned if he doesnt play in a pokal match.....which is comical to me. (but also like wtf...cant people just have perspective???? lol)

the sky isnt falling!!!

Cris 09 repped this.
  14. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one said the sky is falling or that his career is over. But he’s not playing much in league games either. I think it’s fair to wonder if there’s an issue beyond injury concerns here.

usnroach, bballshawn and no exit repped this.
  15. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
  16. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I think it would be more concerning if I could remember the last time they lost.

uniteo repped this.
  17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously, I have not experienced this much gratuitous angst since grunge died

(you're welcome for the derailing music reference)

majspike, russ and MayaDempsey repped this.
  18. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    This is an embarrassing bed wetting, even for YA posters.

BVB are going to do everything they can to make sure Gio is primed for a massive year in 2023-24 and then will look to sell him for 10x what they paid or more. They aren't going to run him out there for a full 90 very often until he gets a full offseason of rest. At this point if he has another tweak on that hamstring, he's on the shelf until season's end and it will impact his summer training which will impact his readiness for next season. They aren't going to let that happen.

quolo, glutton4Bolts, adam tash and 3 others repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe no one has brought up that Berhalter has blackmail info on the coach and is using it to make his usage of Reyna in the WC look spot on.

ShayG and adi21 repped this.
  20. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no bed wetting. People are just wondering what's going on, which is reasonable. Maybe you're right that they're not going to play Gio regularly until next year, but that's not typically the way clubs handle returns from injury, nor is it consistent with how they were handling his playing time last fall. If his fitness is still that much of an issue, then it's good that they're taking things slow.

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why nobody, you just did. But you are so confused. Berhalter himself is a victim of blackmailing as "multiple, but highly anonymous sources" told.

22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coach has already said that he is still not 100%. And BVB took a ton of **** for the way they were "handling" players returning from injury... I.e. rushing them back too soon. Another hammy injury for Gio this season would absolutely kill his transfer value in the summer and if they decide to keep him it could really hurt his 23/24 season w/ the club. They already have a ton of attacking talent so I think they have a very light load planned for him right now. Hopefully he will get more minutes over the next few months.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah was pretty much treated like this after also having lots of hamstring problems.

Not sure what you're getting at here but I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking.

butters59 and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  24. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I feel like this is telling us not to be concerned (because there's something else really concerning). It's been a second lost season for Reyna now, apparently due to injury, if we accept the fitness explanation. That's not a great sign at all.

What's more, his minutes have declined since the pre-WC period, when he earned five starts in the months of October and November. For the "not 100%" explanation to make sense, he would seemingly have gotten ever farther from 100% since fall 2022.

wsmaugham and mattjens repped this.
  25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read Pegasus' response above about Weah. I distinctly remember Weah getting the same treatment at Lille after his hammy tore. You can be worried all you want but to me this is a sign that his hammy injury(ies) were pretty severe and Teams are starting to learn that they need to be treated accordingly. Light load / Limited minutes for up to a year. If it means he returns next year w/ his injury in the rear-view AND with his speed back to 100% then I can accept it.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.