They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Germany (1998)

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It's fun to re-run past World Cup matches in your head with the addition of VAR.

We maybe get that call back against Ghana in '06, earn and convert a PK against Germany in '02 , and book a ticket to the knockout stages early in '10 against Slovenia or Algeria (when VAR rules that Edu's and/or Dempsey's goals were wrongly disallowed), allowing us to rest some players and head into the knockout stages fully refreshed -- instead of having left everything on the field for those last 180 minutes.

However, it's also possible we give up a PK against Mexico in '02 on a JOB handball and never make it to the QFs. Or -- we level the score against Poland in the group stage after VAR rules that Donovan's goal was wrongly disallowed, and the US goes on to win the match and top the group, but we end up playing Italy in the Round of 16, instead of a Mexican side that we know very well.

3. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I smell a Disney+ spinoff series...

4. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that match, that moment and the moment when LD passed up an open shot to lay it off to Ben Olsen are what I remember from that match.

lmorin repped this.
  5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    LD did that? I have a pretty damn good memory and don’t recall it.

Boy, guess I really wanted to block that match out.

6. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't really think it was a foul, either. A knee to knee accident that had major consequences for Claudio and the team. IMHO

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, boy! Don't remind me. What was LD thinking? I think that was the most dismaying moment I have ever encountered when playing or watching a soccer game. LD giving up the goal-scoring opportunity to Ben Olsen? Makes me sick to this day.

russ repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dramani went for the knee. That would have been a clear foul today. Not to mention Pimpong's dive, because Gooch didn't touch him. Back in the day the USA didn't get many calls.

Now things are changing, since soccer went nearly bankrupt in the 00s and it's been American companies rescuing clubs and investing in the sport all over the planet. So now they know who feeds them.

9. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    #7384 golazo68, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Ghana 2 - 1 USA | World Cup 2006 - YouTube

You are wrong man.

You can slow it down from 1:11-1:17 and see for yourself.

Reyna opened up his side and left the ball way too exposed to the opponent. The player from Ghana banged into Claudio knee but it was AS/ or a millisecond AFTER the guy's foot was going through ball.

Even when he hit Claudio's knee, it was so instantaneous and also the way Claudio fell forward AND at that very moment, the guy had as much rights to claim he had the ball (or more) than Claudio....I don't see how a ref is going to call that real time or even call it a foul.

On the play, Claudio had a blind spot in trying to decide what to do with the ball. He was of 2 minds and the opponent did a brilliant job of seizing the opening with power and speed. Claudio left the ball on a platter.

I remember in seeing it at the time (and the replays), my first thought was 'wow, Claudio is no longer the player he was.....he looked really slow in mind and action and can't play at highest level anymore'.

10. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Why does it seem like every discussion about Gio ends up being about Claudio? Why does it seem like every discussion about Claudio ends up being about one moment in that one game?

majspike, MPNumber9 and Magikfute repped this.
  11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think many of us would prefer to talk or read about Gio, but he is not much in the news these days. Waiting.....waiting....waiting....waiting....

russ repped this.
  12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Still waiting…..

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT, jnielsen, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  14. Fat&Old

Fat&Old Member

Whoever americans play for
    United States
    Aug 19, 2021
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That contact can easily not be called, but if a tackle is "careless," regardless of whether a player "got ball" it can be considered a foul. I don't think most refs would consider that tackle careless enough to be a foul (although Draman's leg was stretched pretty well and he came in pretty directly to the leg). Reyna just got hit in a bad spot - his foot lost all holding power once the knees hit. Draman probably still comes up with the ball even if Reyna doesn't go down, but not nearly as easily... but that's football and CR should not have been in a position to allow that effective a challenge that close to goal with very little backup.

16. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I bumped this hoping some net wizard had some news on him, walking without a limp even, but nada. Sigh.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s back in training now

18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
  20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    porkrind, majspike, KenC and 2 others repped this.
  21. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
  22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic news. Love it. I have missed watching him play so much this season.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pulisic: "I am the Glass Man!"

Reyna: "Hold my crutches!"

24. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    There is a “my back hurts” Adams quip in there somewhere to be had.

25. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mck knee, Morris knee, Dike shoulder...should I go on?