They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean even that is not at all clear and is pure hyperbole. We don’t know anything about this injury that indicates that it will nag him forever or have any sort of long term impact.

mace and wsmaugham repped this.
  2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how do you know it is not career ending?

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean hamstring injuries generally are not career ending. In the absence of any information to the contrary there’s absolutely nothing to indicate that this injury is anything close to career ending. Anything else is just baseless speculation.

don Lamb repped this.
  4. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    What? I read a couple reports but didn’t see “career ending” or hints in that direction. Is this your speculation or is there a report out that states this?

5. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    The Gio injury debate concerning his possible career ending injury will be as conclusive as the whole there is a god/there isn’t a god debate.

I have my popcorn. And…. Go!

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We'll never know about gods, but we'll know about Gio in a couple of years.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there IS information to the contrary. Here is a quote from the article linked by the post above.
    "Rose said a tendon and nerves were also affected."
    When the nervous system is damaged, all bets are off until a lot more information is available.

Gorky repped this.
  8. Pisscutter

Pisscutter Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks for the memories (and to others as well)- I coached a very poor HS team for seven years. Played on fields with 10-inch deep potholes in city parks, fields with mud puddles covering every inch, fields so lopsided that you could only see the opposite winger’s torso… I feel vindicated that some of our mediocrity was clearly due to the low quality of the pitch.

The rest of it can be attributed to low levels of athletic talent and, possibly, coaching.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ok guys, we're down a goal here at halftime and now we have a mountain to climb. Well, maybe not a mountain but it is a pretty steep hill to their end so you're going to need to hit your passes forward twice as hard. Also, don't try and dribble through that pond near the center circle."

10. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7335 lmorin, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    Actually, you are not so far off reality. One field I played on in high school was on a village green in northern NH. It had bare sections of flat granite exposed in one end of the field. Another school had a field constructed in a cow pasture. The outer 4-5 yds along the eastern touch line rose 10-12", while the outer 4-5 yds along the western touch line dropped by the same amount. Dribbling along the west side meant that the ball was out of sight for about half the players on the field. The play on those two fields occurred during the first season my high school had a soccer team. We lost 3 of the 4 games played. The school now has a modern turf stadium serving the needs of soccer, Am. football, field hockey and lacrosse. The HS boys soccer team has just finished its 45th consecutive season in the state playoffs, losing the D1 final 2-2 after overtime and 8-9 on PKs. Times have changed.

I can't say that we ever encountered a pond in the middle of the field, however. On the other hand, when coaching on Long Island, one of my teams played on a field almost completely covered in literal sh!t (we dubbed it "goose grease") provided by a resident population of Canada geese. The stuff discouraged heading and sliding tackles.

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean it’s one thing to say it’s more serious than originally thought, but it’s another to say that it’s a career ending injury or the type of injury that’s going to plague him in a way that kills his career. Even the fact that there’s potentially a nerve injury can mean all sorts of things in terms of seriousness. Without more information then we have anything long term prognosis is just uninformed speculation at this point.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know it’s not a CIA operation intended to destroy the spirit of middle American soccer fans?

golazo68 repped this.
  13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our souls are already dead sooo...

ChicagoVT and adam tash repped this.
  14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't, obviously. Moreover, I would never make such a claim.

superdave repped this.
  15. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except I’ve heard Xavi from Barcelona complain that they drew a game because the field was over watered so they couldn’t pass…as a player on the best team in the world. The grass was too wet…

So…perhaps it’s because you were playing high school ball just the conditions didn’t matter.

superdave and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Actually nerves are impacted with almost all injuries, just the degree varies. Moreover, in the very same article it says they are hopeful (but not certain) he can resume training by the end of the year. None of that suggests career ending.

It does suggest he’s still just a kid and most likely pushed his rehab too hard, suffered a setback, and we have to wait a bit longer before resuming the “is Reyna going to be the GOAT?” and “could Claudio beat up Mark Pulisic?” discussions.

Come to think of it, I have evidence that Mark is going to give Claudio a “career-ending injury”! Show me the proof that he won’t!!!

madvillain repped this.
  17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    What constitutes a career-ending injury for a Director of Football?

;)

gjackson2207 repped this.
  18. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Not career ending but it sounds like he had a bad setback. Fair to question how BVB has handled the injury. In general injury reports and updates are one of the most frustrating aspects of being a YA fan that is used to North American rules and regular reports on injured player status.

19. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Have any other nations had their "top" players out with major injuries like the US have the last couple of years? It could be my own narrow bias, but it sure seems like we see it more.

20. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Breaking the fingers of the wine-drinking hand? That Mark Pulisic is one bad daddy.

21. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. And perhaps there's always an exception or exceptions to the norm.

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on Claudio! Knew he could always make a comeback someday.

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I thought his career was over.

25. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil