They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't have their Peter Stoeger lined up. Scrape by into CL spots by playing boring soccer.

Taylor Rockwell of Total Soccer Show had an interesting idea: would David Wagner be interested in a half/quarter-season rescue mission?

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rose announced as manager for next year.

This seems like a weird situation: why would Rose care about getting Gladbach to the CL spots now? If anything, he should try to help Dortmund qualify (if he can) so he can participate in the competition with them next year.

3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna with a Kicker rating of 5.0 (1 best, 6 worst) puts him tied with Hoppe and Sarge for highest rated yank (US developed) last weekend! (Adams didn’t play enough for rating).

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    5.0 for a Yank, by Kicker, is almost praise.

Winoman repped this.
  5. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not quite.

6. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nightmare run on YA continues.

This is a defensive cm group for Dortmund, w/out actually being good defensively.

Dahoud kinda sucks. Starting Bellingham after all this time benched is a risk. Could pay off I suppose.

Reus is a winger, and one who needs to drop deep, on the road? If it's a 442 w/ him as the ss it would work better.

This is dicey for the interim manager. We'll see. But either way, the offseason can't come soon enough, so they can get a real skipper.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the reason why I hate kicker. Not way Gio was a 5 in his last outing. What a joke. Bellingham was terrible and he gets the start again? Whatever. But Kicker... hates Yanks. It is obvious.

9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    It’s a “nightmare” that Reyna is on the bench?

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you not know where you are?

ttrevett repped this.
  11. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I mean, let’s be real. It’s been a pretty poor run of late for many YAs. Sky ain’t falling, but we’re certainly not seeing a good trend.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected. This setup is really working on the counter for Dortmund. 3-1 so far.

Yes, that was the obvious point I was making. It's a huge downturn for YA's the last couple weeks. Didn't say it expressly about Reyna's benching. It's a small component.

13. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Gio is now behind Brandt. Bummer

. And Brandt is terrible.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he won't even get a sub appearance. I guess I was watching a different game last weekend. But I am over it. Wes played great for Juventus even though they were down 2-0 and he was subbed out. Jude was the worst player on the pitch in BVBs last game yet he gets the full 90. GO figure.

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coach probably goes by the kicker ratings....

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    dat crazy

17. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Four CL games, you have McKennie, Adams and Dest all started. You call it a nightmare.

appwrangler repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's relative to recent standard. And there have been a lot of meh performances + benchings across the YA landscape. It's a huge stock down.

But it'll go back up. That's the way the fb stock market works. No need to be defensive about the observation we're in a dip.

Android Cat repped this.
  19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be that he's been looking lethargic for weeks, or months? Could it be that this was a chance to get some other guys some time (Hazard also very close to being back) and rest others who have a lot of miles in his legs? Based on what a world beater he looked last year and how mediocre he's looked this year, whatever it takes to get him back to the former level is fine by me.

20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he has looked better in the last two games... I was shocked they removed him in the loss last weekend and kept Jude on even though he kept giving the ball away. I just can't get my head around that 5 Kicker rating for his last outing. It literally doesn't make any sense. At any rate, his dip in form started when Delaney called him out for not marking his guy on the set piece against Union.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  21. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna got a 5.5 kicker rating for his bench CL performance against Sevilla. Apparently he didn’t keep Brandt’s spot warm enough!

But seriously, Haaland got the rare Kicker 1.0. He did have an amazing game.

22. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

23. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    He needs to make an impact from the bench over the next few matches and all will be ok. Maybe I’ll eat my words but I think it’s safe to say he won’t be starting after the performance by others yesterday.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I pine for the glorious days of yore when all the Americans on CL teams were lighting it up regularly...

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Best weekend ever.